Ashes to Ashes

wee quinnie

The problem with all 'recent' period dramas is that the costume/art department are run by 20 somethings so they (understandably)go for the cliche's of a decade. So they think 80s=yuppies...actually that was post big-bang (1986) in 1981 the whole country was skintand even posh bits of London were packed with squats. Same with the 70s - punks on '70s dramas' always have mohicanns which was a far later (around 1980) anarchopunk style and not a street fashion of 1976/77 at all

Planning to persevere - enjoyed episode 2 more than 1. Agree historical nuances are mostly inaccurate - tho' the whole Charles & Di thing was pretty spot on. I remember running away and hiding in a tent on the Pennine Way to avoid the hysteria. I remember London as being pretty shabby, life being being somewhat unrewarding with money tight and fun elusive.

...was Life on Mars really like life was in the 70's or was it like the cop show's known and loved in the 70's?

Only saw the first ep of this, but my thought was that it was a pastiche on the way 80's cop shows seemed (how A team was the whole boat chase/shooting at baddies but not killing any of them?!) Also the fact its ?all in Alex's head - maybe her memory of the 80's is that crap!!

Course being a late 70's baby both these go over my head a little so maybe I've got it completely wrong!

I loved LoM but have been dubious about the sequel - I haven't seen any of it yet but have taped it ("taped it"???)

But my suspicions appear to be borne out my experiences so far - I got the impression after series1 of LoM that they didn't quite know what to do next and series 2 had great moments but seemed to have lost the focus on the central premise and enjoyed the soapiness of the characters more. The climaz of series2 was almost wonderful until the bit AFTER the building-top

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I loved LoM but have been dubious about the sequel

> - I haven't seen any of it yet but have taped it

> ("taped it"???)

>

> But my suspicions appear to be borne out my

> experiences so far - I got the impression after

> series1 of LoM that they didn't quite know what to

> do next and series 2 had great moments but seemed

> to have lost the focus on the central premise and

> enjoyed the soapiness of the characters more. The

> climaz of series2 was almost wonderful until the

> bit AFTER the building-top

taped it thats soooooooo 80s,did you use vhs or betamax.

• 1 month later...

Right then, there was more talk about this on another thread, but it all went quiet a while ago. Who stuck with it, and what did you think?

I wasn't at all sure about it for the first couple, but have grown to love it! The rapport between Gene & Alex is superb, and the man/woman relationship is a welcome releif from the man to man macho oneupmanship that existed with Gene & Sam in Life on Mars.

I loved LOM, but actually I think I've had more enjoyment out of this series.

Last one tonight, and it's the day of her parents death, but I'll be surprised if this is the last one, I think they'll do 2 series as with LOM... (if you remember, series 1 of LOM ended with a big life event for Sam, he found out his father was bad news after all).

Do you think next will be a 90s black, gay policeman going back for some time with Gene??? >:D<

Nope - I thought it got worse and worse and last week was one of the most excruciating programmes I've seen for ages. I kmow it's Easter but all this resurrecting characters to fit the plot (Shaz here and Owen in Torchwood) is just lazy scriptwriting. I will watch the last episode tonight because I've got this far but don't think I'd bother to watch another series.

I actually thought the resurrection of Shaz fitted the plot fine - as it's all Alex's subconscious (and we know that it is) there was no reason why she couldn't choose to have Shaz wake up. Doubtless some psychiatrists from the Institute (sure there must be some on here) will tell me exactly why the fact that it is her subconscious is the very reason she couldn't choose it, but hey

I agree with Keef - have laughed out loud and lusted after Gene so much more in this series than LOM. There's no doubting that as a drama, the quality has diminished, but the enjoyment factor's HUGE. Everything's lighter, the music's brilliant and how slutty is Alex's policewoman dress sense? Gene can fire up my quatro every day of the week

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> and how slutty is Alex's policewoman dress sense?

Innit! >:D<

Haven't seen last night's yet, it's recorded, so will catch it this weekend...