Post Office closures

I understand that today the Labour government Post Office closures programme proposed hit list is released.

That one of the East Dulwich Post Offices, the one on Melbourne Grove, is on that Labour hit list.

Needless to say all three Liberal Democrat councillors Richard Thomas, Jonathan Mitchell and myself are against this community vandalism.

What do you think?

cllr James Barber

www.jamesbarber.org.uk

keep it.

I have yet to wait less than 15 minutes in the big LL one

Even the great Satan and its hapless servants of international capital - the USA - views its postal service as an untouchable, yet we are happy chop it up at the first opportunity

Interesting that you mention community vandalism - a bit rich and smacking rather loudly of hypocrisy.

The Post Office closures are bad but at least the area is served by another two post offices within walking distance. What you and your councillers are doing to the Livesey Museum is much much worse.

As you will be aware the museum serves the under 12's is regarded by DCMS as a shining example of good practice and has won national awards for the quality of its provision, including a shortlisting for best family friendly museum by the Guardian newspaper.

The museum is very well attended and serves one of the most deprived and under-served areas in the borough of Southwark (if not the country). It encourages curiosity and welcomes children and their families with fantastically well thought through exhibitions. It is, beyond, doubt an oasis in an area with absolutely nothing else like it.

As you will know the museum was opened by John Betjeman and building itself was donated by Geoarge Livesey to the people of Southwark as the very first library in Camberwell. You and your colleagues have stated that you intend to auction off the building.

If this is not vandalism I can't say what is. You ought to be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

As I type I am listening to Radio 4 You and Yours discussing government and how there are too many laws and the history of democracy and so on.

I believe that if the post office is on a hit list, then it is a done deal.

Councillors, thank you for alerting us to the issue here, and I ask that do what you can, but why is it you only usually contribute something to this forum when it suits you?

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >>Interesting that you mention community vandalism

> - a bit rich and smacking rather loudly of

> hypocrisy.

> Agreed emphatically, for all the reasons stated

and me

The PO on Lordship Lane is very very busy - always. We need the other post offices - if they close, the PO on Lordship Lane will get even busier!

I usually use the post office by Dulwich Library - its on the corner of Landells and Lordship Lane. The queues are much shorter and quicker.

Its sick isnt it?

But most of the UK are guilty of aiding & abetting this disgusting move by association - how many piled in and bought the various utilities shares when the were flogged off all those years ago ?

Why should a post office be deemed to have to turn a profit ? its a service surely?

These mooted closures are the son of that selfish and grotesque era.