Dartmouth Arms Forest Hill: dreadful food and service!

JaneB

Had an appalling meal there last night and our complaint resulted in the manageress threatening us with the police! She then telephoned 999 and brought the phone to our table!!! At no time were we rude, we just explained that the food was dreadful and we thought they should charge us for just one portion. At no time did we refuse to pay. Initially they offered a free pudding each (that didn't attract) and then 10% off. They weren't apologetic or interested in the problems with the food, more aggressive and dismissive of our complaint. What prompts me to put this post on the forum is the attitude of the manageress who I think was under some pressure from a very unpleasant owner. It was claimed he wasn't available but as we left (after paying)he came out of the kitchen. My friend tried to discuss the situation with him and was threatened and told to get out!

It claims to be a gastropub and certainly is a pleasant environment (grotty toilets though) but the cooking is amateur at best, not reflected in the prices. I accept that any restaurant can have a bad day but I am dumbfounded by the attitude to a complaint.

It would be interesting to gett an overview of how the various establishments treat complaints. We had a dire experience at the Great Exhibition two or three weeks ago. As I feel it is only fair to take the matter up with the establishment itself rather than just go straight to the forum. I therefore emailed the manager - 2 weeks later still no response.

To respond to Annabel, the manager/owner was on the premises, refused to speak to us and when approached threatened my friend. I therefore think it fair enough to go straight to the forum, I can honestly say I have never experienced threatening service before.

In contrast, The Great Exhibition was fantastic when we complained about a meal that one of our group had several months ago, showed enormous interest in the problem, recognised and agreed with our comments and immediately offered to take said item off the bill. It's pure coincidence that I have also had the need to complain at The Great Exhibition as well...you probably won't believe me when I say that I can't remember making another complaint!!

And Gidget, we both ordered guinea fowl that was tough and dry, that came on a bed of mashed potato that was so dry that it stuck to the roof of your mouth...a bizarre combination. Hands up, I've been an addict of masterchef so perhaps had unrealistic expectations...But to reiterate, my reason for the forum post is how our polite and mild mannered complaint was treated.

I have had a meal many times in The Dartmouth Arms in Forest Hill, and I have never had any reason to complain, and I am very fussy. Perhaps all the staff is new, including the chef, since I have been there, about 6 months ago. I also thought the ladies toilets were quite nice , have not been in the men's , but perhaps all that has changed as well. It is a pitty that no one from The Dartmouth Arms, can defend themselves here. Did you notice on the day if anybody else had such a bad experience.

Having said all that, I try differnet places for Sunday lunch, and always come back to the pub at the back of Forest Hill station called All Inn One, for quality and value for money. I always have the roast chicken, which is lovely and perfectly cooked vegetables.

I have recently tried to get into Canvas & Cream in Forest Hill on a Sunday, but have found people waiting to be seated even at 12 o'clock, and it is not a small venue. So being impatient I go somewhere else. I can only assume it is because the food is as good as it is during the week, and having been there many times, I can highly recommend it.

It is a real shame about the Dartmouth Arms, because I always liked it there, must try it myself sometime soon !

Oh dear, this sounds very serious, I must remember to bring a bodyguard, when I go there again. Or on reflection I think I will contact the press, because the general public should be warned about going to such a place, dear, dear me...........

I have never understood the appeal of this place. It feels very cold in there somehow, and the food is far from inspired (although to be fair it's never actually been "BAD" when I've been). They don't really cater for vegetarians either, and these days a veggie option for a Sunday roast is an absolute must.

A couple of years ago friends and I had lovely Sunday lunches in the Dartmouth, so when we returned a few weeks ago we were amazed at how much it seemed to have gone downhill, both in terms of the food provided and the service offered. One of my friends and I had a veggie Sunday lunch and another had pork, whilst their children had the kids chicken lunch. We ordered a bottle of house red and soft drinks - the waiter said sarcatically 'Is that ALL????', well for all he knew there may have been 2 drivers amongst us. We then waited over 25 minutes for our rather disappointing lunch. My friends then shared a dessert and I asked specifically for my dessert wine to be served at the same time so I could enjoy it with them. The dessert came, my wine didn't and in the end I went up to the counter to ask for it to be told that they hadn't understood my request (WTF). It was such a shame as previously we had enjoyed it so much, but I won't be rushing back.

"Am I the only one to think the actual decor of the place makes it feel cold and bleak?"

Nope...Haven't been there for years mostly due to that reason

My FH drinking is mostly done in Hob and Sylvan Post, with occassional food trips to Bar Question (pub food, not gastro, but decent jerk and pizzas, made on site)

"The post place doesn't do it for me, although I only popped in for a quick pint once."

to be fair I popped in a couple of times when it opened but haven't been back since - so maybe it doesn't do it for me either!

I kind of like the different spaces in there and it's nice to see it hasn't replaced an older skool boozer so it's an "addition"

I've never had an experience such as you've described in the Dartmouth Arms although I've never really had to complain either. I used to go semi-regularly until a couple of years ago. I went for the first time in ages in September and didn't find it as good as it used to be. The service wasn't particularly attentive (long gaps between courses and struggling to get people's attention) although there didn't appear to be many staff working which probably didn't help. I think I had fishcakes which were OK but did taste pre-packaged rather than home-made.

Canvas and Cream is lovely although packed on a Sunday. I've been on a Fri/Sat night recently and it was surprisingly quiet... had a lovely squash arancini followed by rainbow trout along with a really nice bottle of wine. Can't comment on their complaints process since it was all lovely.