What is East Dulwich Listening to?

capt_birdseye

Not a great year 2007, IMO

The ones that stick in my memory are Edwyn Collins "Home Again", Anthony Reynolds "English Ballads" and (released in UK this year so it counts Holly Palmer "Songs For Tuesday" and especially Richard Hawleys's "Lady's Bridge"

I really enjoyed Brett Anderson's solo album as well

Re-Release of the year is EASY - Fatima Mansions "Viva Dead Ponies" - sleeve notes by the wonderful writer Andre Mueller can be found here

> Re-Release of the year is EASY - Fatima Mansions

> "Viva Dead Ponies" - sleeve notes by the wonderful

> writer Andre Mueller can be found here

beg to differ - I haven't heard this, but have you heard the re-release of Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen? Was interested to note that both bands were on Kitchenware though!

Do critics simply dare not put White Stripes and Radiohead high up their Lists, it rather lacks imagination doesn't it? Been disappointed with White stripes since Elephant, and I really can't be bothered with Radiohead anymore.

Panda Bear seem to be at or near the top of alot of them this year. I have it, its a nice chilled album and I do love Animal Collective, but its not a world beating album by any stretch.

I loved the Britney Spears write up though!

Currently listening to Mozart Violin Concerto 5; bang on the money about edwyn Collins, sean. I was in touch with him briefly last year, and with the love and support around him he continues to make a slow recovery from his ills.

I spent most of 07 listening to the same old, and whenever i hear current stuff i'm non-plussed.

The most performed piece of music in the world is now the tune you hear when you switch on your computer [assuming it has windows]; written by Brian Eno IIRC. sadness all round, i feel.

UC

blinder999

You are a splendid fellow for even knowing about the Prefab Sprout re-release. A high-point from a great great band - I believe Appetite has even been Music Roomed a few times... "if you take, then put back in - if you steal, be Robin Hood..."

but a more different band from the Kitchenware label-mates you couldn't wish to find - apart from both having very literate songwriters.. and you can beg to differ as much as you like - until you have lived with both albums for approx 20 years each you don't get to choose ;-)

blinder - I have listened to the acoustic versions. Don't get me wrong I LOVE them and I love the album and acoustic tracks (slight exception is Faron Young.. the acoustic version doesn't quite work for me.... probably an heretical statement but there y'go) I've even been to see Paddy in his "Peter Gabriel has nothing on me in the weight and facial hair department" phase a couple of years back.. But compared to the Mansions.... and I realise it's pretty much me and Mueller on this point...

woodie - glad you liked Holly - I saw here at the 100 club in Oxford St last year - she doesn't "do" UK much but I'll let you know if she does..

I know some of you guys were out on Tuesday but you missed Paul Morley on BBC4 talking about pop music; he rolled his narrative round the (inevitable) list of architypal pop songs: fascinating.

Can't get you out of my head - Kylie

Ride a White Swan - T-rex

Lola - The Kinks

This Charming Man - The Smiths

What do you Want - Adam Faith

Freak Like Me - the Sugarbabes

I thought Madonna's "Like a Prayer", might feature - it did in the programme, but not on the list. With "Freak like Me" he was getting three for the price of one considering that it is an amalgamation of Gary Numan's "Are Friend's Electric" and Adina Howard's er.."Freak Like Me"