It's all about the base...

Nigello

Where have all the Xmas tree bases gone? Most trees I see in the street (often stood up but sometimes prone and trip-friendly) have not got the round bases. Does Southwark stipulate removal pre mulching?

They are good when dried for firepits etc.

It's the wood ones I mean. Nary a one but a fair few trees lying horizontally across teh footpaths, which I removed, of course! If you (meaning "a person in general, not a contributor to this thread" leave a tree like that you could be causing a blind person a nasty injury or preventing people with mobility problems from getting about.

They do say to leave it by the brown bin for collection as well without the need to book a collection.

This page on the website is more or less a repetition of what they say every year, I don?t think they?ve ever said just leave it out on the street! But we do and they get collected. The excellent guys in the truck with the cage are on the look out. Mine was gone in half an hour which was of course left in such a way so as not to cause an obstruction.

Its a shame they do not burn very easily- with all the pubs etc closed, it wouldnt be the worst idea in the world, for social activity, to collect lots of them up and have a big bonfire in the garden, inviting some friends round for food and drinks etc. You have to make your own fun in lockdown!

I gave up on Christmas Trees a few years back - there are other decorations and I was fed up with dumping of trees on 5th January.

Also no children (I know children love trees)

When I was young we had an artificial one in the attic all year - sounds ancient (and filthy) now.