Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road / Nunhead Lane Signal Modifications Works

Below is the leter that has been circulated to Councillors about the schedule of works

Renata

Dear Cllrs,

Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road / Nunhead Lane Signals Modifications Works

Happy New Year.

As you will be aware we have been preparing some proposals aiming at improving the above mentioned 2 junctions. Copies of these proposals are attached for your information.

We have programmed the works to commence at the first junction being Peckham Rye with East Dulwich Road, next week Monday commencing 7 January 2013, weather permitting. We hope the works will be completed by 29 February 2013. There will be a 4 way traffic lights with pedestrian phase operating there during the works period.

We anticipate that the 4-way traffic lights are likely to cause some degree of traffic disruption at this junction and its environs but we will try to minimize this and expediting works where possible. Apologies for the inconvenient.

Please refer to attachment for scheme details.

The main features of the proposal:

? Introduce a new right turn filter for eastbound traffic on East Dulwich Road

? Improve the operation and safety of both junctions by linking them together on SCOOT

? New Advance stop lines on all arms of the junction to improve safety for cyclists

? Reducing crossing distance for pedestrians at Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road junction

? New audible feature for visually impaired at Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road junction

? Re-mark box junction at Peckham Rye/East Dulwich road to make it enforceable

We are in the process of sending a notification letter to all residents affected by this works, and who live close to the junctions; please see attached a copy of the letter and the proposed circulation list.

Regarding the works programme we propose the works to be done as follow:

1- Peckham Rye /East Dulwich Road junction -

Week 1

? Remove central refuge island

? Remove existing traffic signals

Week 2-4

? Footway buildout works

? Ducting

? Building pit boxes

Week 5-6

? Reinstate new signals

2- Nunhead Lane/Peckham Rye Junction

Week 7 ?Ducting work on footway

Week 8 - Commissioning new controller, road marking works at Peckham Rye /Eat Dulwich Road junction

Am I to understand there is to be a right hand filter to go up Peckham Rye (from East Dulwich) up towards Forest Hill Road, but NOT one to go up Peckham Rye East side towards Cheltenham Road?

I was campaigning for this before those second lot of traffic lights were put in (at junction Peckham Rye East) years ago.

Well I too am shocked by the eight week schedule.......I'm expecting whole days to go by where no work takes place on these two junctions from that schedule and that will just not be good enough Renata.

But I'm happy to see both junctions utilise the SCOOT technology on offer. This should mean flexible phasing according to traffic weight, although in peak hours it probably won't make any difference. An overused junction will still be overused without any alternate route on offer.

And I agree PR regarding the lack of filter light at the other junction.

This next 8 weeks is going to turn into a traffic nightmare. It was bad enought this morning, when a bus had broken down on Peckham Rye opposite Barry road heading to Forest Hill - which completely ballsed up all traffic along there. Throw in the upcoming predicted cold snap with a bit of snow and boom! Traffic armaggeddon...

Will be very interested to see if this actually makes any difference to the red light runners turn right across the traffic here...

We live in hope.

Traffic was terrible this am, but (as trentk69 says) this looked to be a lot to do with the broken down 197 bus and some really terrible resulting driving - if everyone had left gaps for traffic to get round the bus rather than trying to rush past to clear it or to push up to the lights, things would have flowed a lot more smoothly.

The result was traffic crossing the junction getting backed up behind the queue to get past the bus = traffic chaos.

That said, this sort of thing does happen. Can the work really not be done in less than 8 weeks given the importance/usage of this junction?

Oh, and another thing to throw into the mix - the building work at the Clockhouse. This morning - two large lorries unloading materials for the building were parked on either side of the road outside the CH - meaning that buses turning into Barry road had to compete against the traffice trying to get out of Barry Road, resulting in you guessed it - near gridlock at this junction again.

Two days in a row - lets go for a third tomorrow....

We live in Kinsale Rd. right next to E. Dulwich junction. We learnt about the roadworks the hard way on Monday as we had to go up to The Gardens on the bus and walk back. The bus driver knew nothing about it either.

Surely we're close enough for a letter? We haven't had one yet. And eight weeks. Yikes.

I would like to see some traffic police observing the junction of Peckham Rye / Nunhead Lane.

Drivers coming from Nunhead lane are not using any common sense and are sitting in the yellow box blocking the junction for cars needing to go straight across down Peckham Rye towards the Rye Pub.

I know it is unfeasible for the police to constantly monitor this junction, but a few spot checks in rush hour would soon get the message across to these selfish drivers!

/Rant over

Three out of three for today too. This morning the temporary lights were on the blink, meaning the phasing was all out, resulting in major blockages on all four roads on this junction. The workmen were forced to do their best at manually controlling the traffic flow, with very limited sucess.

What a comedy of errors.

Hi all, I know eight week is a long time. It is scheduled for such an extended period of works as the two junctions are so busy and therefore can't be closed for any period of time to do the works. Also with the introduction of the SCOOT system, this adds to the complexity ands to the time schedule. I am aware that there have been some delays to traffic (as a local resident I also travel through these junctions myself on a frequent basis). The temporary traffic signals are on fixed timings and I was told that these can't be manipulated for situations at the junctions. There was no option but to close the bus stops as this would otherwise have caused even greater delays at the PR/East Dulwich Rd junction.

Renata

and if you are a pedestrian, please just wait your turn. the bus i was on almost hit someone today. it was horrible.

Likewise to motorists.

Nearly got run over by some twat in a Highways Agency flatbed van today. He jumped a red light while I was crossing at the green man signal.

It would appear that we have the first casualty of this situation.Coming down Peckham Rye a.m,badly damaged scooter laying up against a wall in Nunhead Lane-all taped off which would suggest Police involvement and possible injury to rider.Returning to same stretch of road late tonight,scooter still there.Guess the jackals will descend upon it and strip it later.

Earlier this evening-having to travel from East Dulwich Road to Nunhead,the cut-off on the inside lane meant that drivers were zipping down the bus lane and cutting across queuing traffic and,as they were in front of the physical temporary light,which they could not see,decided when they had waited long enough and shot over across traffic coming from the opposite direction.

Apologies if this is not clear BUT having been driving all evening(work)am,obviously tired but really think that some kind of Police presence is necessary on this area.

Tbf you don't know if that scooter accident was the result of the road works or just bad driving. That junction (where the scooter crashed) has no work happening on it yet so not helpful to make assumptions.

But I do agree regarding the jams at the other one.

Renata...would it not be possible to open up one of the no through roads so that vehicles don't have to go to the junction to turn right during the works, or even just allow cars to turn right onto Crystal Palace Road from ED Road. I do think a diversion for those vehicles would help the situation....whereas at present, there are cars waiting to go ahead behind vehicles waiting to turn right and that is causing some drivers to overtake on the other side of the road (which is extremely dangerous).

juliee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Earlier this evening-having to travel from East

> Dulwich Road to Nunhead,the cut-off on the inside

> lane meant that drivers were zipping down the bus

> lane and cutting across queuing traffic and,as

> they were in front of the physical temporary

> light,which they could not see,decided when they

> had waited long enough and shot over across

> traffic coming from the opposite direction.

> Apologies if this is not clear BUT having been

> driving all evening(work)am,obviously tired but

> really think that some kind of Police presence is

> necessary on this area.

I witnessed this senario to on Thursday morning, I couldn't quite believe my eyes.

Renata, I have just seen a P12 bus drive down the wrong side of the road along Nunhead Lane (for 50 metres) to jump the traffic queue and turn right into Peckham Rye. This can not go on. Someone is going to get hurt or worse killed (is this also how the above mentioned scooter ended up wrapped around a traffic light?). I have noted the number plate and will report it to the bus company. Meanwhile there is no work going on at the junction of ED Road and Peckham Rye.

It needs enforcement cameras (easy to arrange mobile ones) and closed off through routes such as waveney av and the no right turn in CP Road need to be temporarily removed to lessen the traffic flow through the junctions.