Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road / Nunhead Lane Signal Modifications Works

Dear all, I have now had a response back from council officers.

They agree that since the works started there has been major delays to traffic at the junction but this was not unexpected unfortunately. They say that choice was limited, given the need to undertake the works without any complete closures. They have written to local residents advising the potential delay and apologising to them for any inconvenience.

They have discussed with the contractor ways to minimise further disruption and to try to put more site resources on this project to aim to get the works done quicker. This week they have already made improvements to the street layout for example changing the signal head location on Peckham Rye so it it allows 2 way operation taking place there. This was applied yesterday and it's their understanding is that traffic is now flowing much better than before. London Buses have acknowledged this improvement.

Finaly, the current phase of works at the junction of Peckham Rye with East Dulwich Road is the most complicated and more complex than the other corners of the junction due to the presence of many utilities boxes and services underneath. This phase should be completed this week and hopefully the future phases will be less disruptive to pedestrians.

With regard to temporary removing of some of the prohibition of traffic movement from side roads, this is not something they'd recommend. Without local consultation this would likely raise as many if not more objections and complaints than if this isn't done. If they were to undertake a consultation on affected roads this would take a few weeks and therefore be of negligible benefit by the time they could implement it. Also, this particular type of temporary diversion would need a large amount of signage and even then, it is likely that very few people would, in reality, use it.

They will continue to discuss with the contracor ways to make traffic flow better bearing in mind the difficulty and the high traffic volume at this junction.

On the new point raised today, this is correct. The contractors were using carriageway barriers for the footway. They are bigger and longer so taking more space from the footpaths leaving less space for buggies and wheelchairs. They are aware of this issue and have instructed the contractor to change the barriers as soon as possible.

I also asked if there was a way of speeding up the works eg extending the working day to early evening from 4pm. The budget won't allow this as it would increase costs by 20%.

The Northbound P12s, 78s and ?343s have been diverted onto the Nunhead side of the Rye in order to avoid the East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye junction.

DJ, I would hope that the junctions will be safer and better once the works are completed.

Renata

Thank you for that Renata. No mention of action to curb drivers and buses using the wrong side of the road though.

I think everyone would hope the changes make the junction safer, but none of the changes address the issues of weight of traffic using the junction at peak times. The only change that will make a difference is the right trun filter light eastbound. But this will happen at the cost of less time for other traffic in other directions to flow through.....so longer queues westbound. The other issue is the bus lane on EDR. It stops so close to the junction (because of the bus stop) that right turning traffic has to wait in line with all traffic. If the bus stop were to be moved 10 metres away from the junction then the filter light would be far more effective. All of this was pointed out and seemingly ignored.

Renata,

I can vouch for the 2 way traffic light phasing improving traffic flow as I got a 63 this morning from Dunstans rd in rush hour, and back this evening, and there were no north/south traffic queues, although east/west still looked bad

The right turn filter will benefit eastbound traffic turning into FHR, mad it's taken so long to install one

Complete chaos at 7am this morning, as temp lights failed & were stuck on red in Peckham rye with traffic backing up to forest hill road. Bus driver told us we should get off as we weren't going anywhere, so had to run to Peckham rye station to catch my train. Unfortunately cafe in station didn't sell the oxygen I needed when I got there.

the-e-dealer,

What I suggested was using the corner of the common that is right next to the junction - the concreted bit where the recycling bins used to be - to expand the junction and make it a roundabout with maybe lights too (a bit like they have where you come off motorways for instance.

As far as I can see that bit of the common isn't of any benefit to anyone, and would make a huge difference.

I would never, ever, suggest traffic being allowed to run through the park.

Anyway - it's a bit of a pointless discussion as it isn't going to happen.

Wish there was a right turn filter so that as you come down Forest Hill Road you could turn right towards Nunhead. Instead you are forced to go straight over, then get snarled up in the Peckham Traffic to come back on yourself. It is not feasible to do that, so instead when driving I go up Forest Hill Rd and around Colyton Road. Hey ho, if I stay on my bike (as I should anyway) it isn't an issue and I can just whizz through the park (that doesn't count as traffic right?!).

Hi Molly,

I did ask a few months ago about the reintroduction of a right turn towards Nunhead as I know traders on Evelina Rd wanted this. I was told no, not possible. The problem with using even a small bit of the common are the planning issues, covenants etc governing it. If it was any old bit of land, that would make it easier!

Renata

Thank you for asking Renata. I can understand the problem, as frustrating as it is.

Re what others are saying about the bus stop on the left as you come from East Dulwich to go straight over towards Nunhead. I agree this is a real problem. It used to be further back and I remember when they moved it forwards towards the lights. It always causes problems as you either get stuck behind the bus when it stops, or if turning right you get stuck behind all the cars that are going straight on, but are forced out into the RH land to go around the bus.

PLEASE can you do anything to get the bus stop put back to where it used to be - sort of opposite the Tesco Metro for instance.

Thanks,

I too think that would make a significant difference. The moving of the bus stop and lengthening of bus lane is a major cause of the subsequent problems for eastbound traffic at this junction.

Renata is right though about bureacracy and planning. It's been the way of london for centuries, hence the poorly designed nature of our city.

Edited to add though that I agree with others that the changes made to the lights have seemed to improve things a little over the past couple of days.

Hi Mollie and DJ,

the positioning of the bus stop will be a TFL issue rather than Southwark, I will report it, but can't promise that they will do anything about it! I have no idea what the rationale was behind moving it in the first place (better interchange between routes perhaps?)

Renata

About many years ago.... I remember many ofus campaignedto havethe 343 and 484 bus stop afte that right turn, toprevent people having to stand on that corner and run across the road if ghe 343 was the first one to go up the hill. Again nothing was done. Sorry for bad spelling and nogaps.

Hi Renata

What comfort are we meant to take from today for example, when those working in the City can't get there via Peckham Rye as trains are cancelled, and the 63 and 363 buses are taking 15-20 minutes to move between 2 stops. How are people meant to get to work? And why where this god awful roadworks approved for January when it's statistically most likely to snow

None of it makes sense.

Well, I am sad to say that I fell victim to this junction and the road works taking place here this morning. I was riding to work on my motorbike and approching the junction from the Peckham Rye side. For whatever reason there were long queues of traffic leading up to the junction, obviously causing frustration with all the drivers. As I approached the junction, the lights turned to orange, and as they did, two cars in front of me sped up to get through the orange and now red lights. I braked and came to a stop, and about a second or two later I was smashed from behind by a White Transit Van, throwing me off my bike and onto the road.

Without getting into too much detail, there was considerable damage done to my bike, and I have been to A & E to get checked out. At this stage there is nothing broken in me, I am just very tender and sore.

The pedestrians at the junction were great, offering assistance and also bearing wittness to the crash.

This could have been so much worse, I am just glad I got away with what I did.

Time to rest up for me I think.

Renata, on Sunday, I saw six vehicles including a bus again driving down the wrong side to get through lights and overtake traffic (jammed even though the lights were green). Trent69 could have been killed this morning. Is that what it's going to take to address this problem of dangerous drivers? Do something about it. Enough people have reported on this thread that this is going on.

Hi Hickory,

the reason why the works are being done now is due to delays at the TFL end for approval for the scheme (probably due to last summer's Olympics). This is why it wasn't done earlier in this financial year.

I'm so glad you are OK Trent69. I know that everyone is getting frustrated at this junction but due to the road works they should careful than usual. I will report this and your comments DJ. There is an issue with the Nunhead Lane lights and the East Dulwich Road ones being out of sync. The phase at the East Dulwich Road one is twice as long as Nunhead Lane so cars can only cross the Nunhead Lane Junction toward ED every second green phase. I think it's the outcome of this that you are seeing DJ.

Renata

Thank you Renata. That makes sense......most of the offending vehicles I've seen have been travelling east to west and wanting to turn right. Some though, did so to then turn left in front of the car at the head of the lights - very dangerous. It might be worth having a word with the bus companies too as many of the offenders are buses. But also, it surely would be possible to put a camera car out there at peak hour?

today I saw all the traffic coming from Nunhead lane with a green light completely stuck at the next red light on 'kings on the rye' crossroads. Can these lights not be coordinated so that when they let cars through they don't immediately stop them so there is a blockage ?