Girls chewing gum with open mouths

Domitianus

I chew gum sometimes, it can be useful as snorky points out. Also it's good for cleaning teeth after a meal. I try and keep my gob closed most of the time though and always dispose of it carefully of course.

I am starting to worry I have developed some kind of phobia about this. Male or female, stranger or loved one, it makes me irrationally upset. I have found myself having to get off buses and trains to get away from it. The sound particularly, but also the sight and even the smell of it, makes me feel ill and has driven me to tears before as I find it impossible to tune out (even when I stick my fingers in my ears). What I find interesting is that if you ask most gum chewers, they will swear they only do so with their mouth closed, but when you watch people, very few actually do in practice. I also can't help thinking that mints or regular teeth brushing would do the trick if worried about bad breath...

The original post was about how unattractive a woman looks chewing gum, but maybe she doesn't give a shit if you find her attractive or not. Maybe she finds your anally retentive stress-reddened faces unattractive.

Damn you guys need to start getting some sex or a hobby.

And incase you wondered, I don't chew gum because it is full of chemicals.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That depends, Honaloochie. What do you 'drive'?

People on buses mad with my loud smacking and popping.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen *Bob* and I are here all week.

Be good to your waitress and remember - drive safely.

Ha ha ha effing ha! Quite right CWALD. Maybe she doesn't!

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

> The original post was about how unattractive a

> woman looks chewing gum, but maybe she doesn't

> give a shit if you find her attractive or not.

> Maybe she finds your anally retentive

> stress-reddened faces unattractive.

>

> Damn you guys need to start getting some sex or a

> hobby.

>

> And incase you wondered, I don't chew gum because

> it is full of chemicals.

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

Surely just pained and somewhat put out expressions?

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

>

> Damn you guys need to start getting some sex or a

> hobby.

>

I think you're right.

I can't make up my mind which I should plump for, but I think I'll go for Scrabble.

My first seven letters are B,L,W,O,B,O and J.

Just my luck, can't make anything out of them.

cEDric, with you on this 100%.

Can't abide this habit, and particularly that all the basic manners of eating seem to go out of the window when it's gum, and people either deny it or justify it: i've actually said to a friend before that it's not very nice to chew with your mouth wide open, and have met the response "but it's just chewing-gum". And it's got a lot worse since the smoking ban, with everyone using this as a trigger to have a bash at giving up smoking (a good thing) by turning to nicotine gum (bad - patches, lozenges, inhalators please people!).

in particular, on buses, trains and other places that you can't escape. The only way I can deal with it is with loud ipod, unfortunately turning me into that big, angry looking guy on the train who plays his music too loud, which annoys more people than the gum-chewing, i suspect. Worse still is in places that say no eating and drinking, again where it seems to be an exception in the minds of many. But the absolute limit for me used to be at work: i'm a nurse in casualty, and watching colleagues go in to see patients with gum on the go used to turn my stomach. When I got vaguely senior, one of my few rules became that gum was banned for staff on the shop-floor in the section i was running: my juniors soon realised that i was serious. I just think it looks so unprofessional, to say nothing of the infection control implications.

Anyone agreeing with this last bit (I suspect not many will, as i may have shown a little too much of my own personal neurosis) may want to employ the following tactic - anyone doing this while working in a capacity which prides itself on service in any way, challenge them on it, openly but politely, in front of a manager for real oomf. They may look pretty embarassed, but I reckon it will stick in their mind... maybe...

PS: other than this, i'm a tolerant sort of person. honest... like cEDric, this is my thing. But it's a real big thing...

PPS: edit just to say that for me, it's PEOPLE chewing gum with open mouths; no sexism here, just a bucket-o-crazy