How's the snow?

emza78

sandnot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have bused it back from kings cross, perfectly

> fine. But I did try and get a train from st

> pancreas to denmark hill, but no trains to

> Sevenoaks but this was about 4 ish

Weird - I caught the 4.09 from City Thameslink - it arrived at 4.19 of course but that is par for the course.

There appears to be a growing consensus that we should treat this current cold snap as a national emergency - dire warnings "is your travel really necessary", reminders to wrap up warm, look out for our neighbours, schools closed for safety reasons, extra news reports on BBC, this thread.

Hell - less than 2" in S London, all major road routes well gritted, a few trains, planes and buses delayed - this is a minor inconvenience not the natural disaster that some media outlets wish to portray it.

In terms of havoc the floods last year were more significant.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> There appears to be a growing consensus that we

> should treat this current cold snap as a national

> emergency - dire warnings "is your travel really

> necessary", reminders to wrap up warm, look out

> for our neighbours, schools closed for safety

> reasons, extra news reports on BBC, this thread.

>

> Hell - less than 2" in S London, all major road

> routes well gritted, a few trains, planes and

> buses delayed - this is a minor inconvenience not

> the natural disaster that some media outlets wish

> to portray it.

>

> In terms of havoc the floods last year were more

> significant.

Agreed, but maybe it is less of a disaster because of the warnings? We've all seen less snow than this fall in the past and result in chaos. This time, everyone has been a bit more prepared.

Renata

Thank you for your update of 18 January.

I live in One Tree Close, off Honor Oak Rise. Because this is a private estate we arranged yesterday for the grounds to be gritted at our own expense.

However, the Council's gritters appear to have gritted only the lower half of Honor Oak Rise, which means that minicabs cannot gain access to One Tree Close as they cannot drive up the upper half of Honor Oak Rise. Although younger people can probably walk this distance without much difficulty, those who are elderly or infirm but still have to work cannot do so.

Small vans - though not minicabs- are managing to drive up through the snow, so there does not appear to be any reason for the Council's gritting lorries not to do so.

Would it be possible, please, for the whole of Honor Oak Rise to be gritted urgently?

Hi Annabel, I will ask for it to be done, I know how steep that road is, it's odd that half the road was done.

Renata

I have had an official update:

Here's the latest update on Sunday 20/1

Snow is forecast until late this evening. It is then expected to remain dry.

The gritters are currently out on the priority and resilience networks. They are running clear and not experiencing any problems. The gritters will be out again at eight this evening and probably again early tomorrow morning. There are no issues with salt stock levels.

Over fifty staff are out today gritting pavements. Over one hundred staff have been gritting key areas on estates, including walkways.

A small number of locations with slopes in the south of the borough will have their refuse collected slightly later, once access routes are gritted. They include hillcrest and cassinghurst in Sunray Avenue, Allport and Hannen House in Champion Hill, adelaid House in grove park, grovelands in camberwell grove, beachwood court in crystal palace, wavel place in sydenham hill and crystal court in college road.

Refuse collections across the borough are expected to run as normal tomorrow morning. If there are any isolated access issues, refuse will be collected as soon as practically possible.

Pavements outside schools are being gritted from six am tomorrow morning.

Parents / guardians are again asked to keep in touch directly with their child's school about any disruption.

Grit bins across the borough are being replenished tomorrow.

Call volumes to the CSC have been stable and there are currently no major problems reported across the borough.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> There appears to be a growing consensus that we

> should treat this current cold snap as a national

> emergency - dire warnings "is your travel really

> necessary", reminders to wrap up warm, look out

> for our neighbours, schools closed for safety

> reasons, extra news reports on BBC, this thread.

>

> Hell - less than 2" in S London, all major road

> routes well gritted, a few trains, planes and

> buses delayed - this is a minor inconvenience not

> the natural disaster that some media outlets wish

> to portray it.

>

> In terms of havoc the floods last year were more

> significant.

Well said that Marmora Man. It's a mere frosting - get on with it!

TonyQuinn Wrote:

> I'm not one to praise the powers that be. But well

> done Southwark Council, everything seems to be

> running far more smoothly than in the past.

I'd agree. It's helped that the snow has mainly been during the day while there's been some traffic to keep the roads clear but it's been a great job. I went into town tonight at 6pm and came back around midnight. No problems with buses either way - great job by planners/gritter and bus drivers alike.

Peckham Rye Ward, all main roads reported as Ok. Southeastern via Peckham Rye many cancellations/major delays. Honor Oak Rise, upper section has been passed through the council officers network.

I'm glad to hear that the Council's planning for such weather conditions appears to have works. I'll pass the coments back.

Renata