Where do cyclists cross lordship lane safely?

Jakido

Where do people recommend is a good place to cross lordship lane for kids on bikes? Struggling to find anywhere that isn?t too busy, or which isn?t a pedestrian only crossing. I need somewhere between a goose Green and the Plough ideallyZ

Crossing Lordship on a bike with kids isn't great at the moment - would definitely recommend a pedestrian crossing. Would be nice if there were some cycle crossings but without a safe mapped network to link to then its not so helpful. Some of the new road layouts around the Elephant are nice for this where there is a cycle section of the zebra crossing - also Norwood Road has one where Rosendale Road cycle lane meets it - but in both scenarios there is somewhere defined to cycle beyond the crossing.

I expect that many reasonable motorists would allow kids to cross, I certainly would if I saw someone having problems. The bikeability courses will both help build confidence and get youngsters to communicate with drivers eg by getting eye contact. Drivers should not be exceeding 20mph.

There wouldn't be so much traffic on lordship lane if the council didnt close the roads as now the cars have no choice but to cause mayhem on lordship lane...

As for crossing the road as others have said the safest way is by using the crossings available cars will stop at them when lights are red or people are crossing it's only cyclists that continue to ride through red lights and crossings when people are crossing..

Please don't encroach on pedestrian/wheelchair space by just "nipping onto the pavement" to cycle over the crossing. It takes an extra ten seconds to dismount, push bike, and remount. I am all in favour of cycle lanes, where needed and not duplicatory with bus lanes, etc., but I also think pedestrians need a space for their feet or wheels.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Please don't encroach on pedestrian/wheelchair

> space by just "nipping onto the pavement" to cycle

> over the crossing. It takes an extra ten seconds

> to dismount, push bike, and remount. I am all in

> favour of cycle lanes, where needed and not

> duplicatory with bus lanes, etc., but I also think

> pedestrians need a space for their feet or wheels.

Totally agree with Nigello

You can?t have it both ways obvs.

If you use a PEDESTRIAN crossing, use it like a pedestrian, not as an 8 yard cycle Lane.

Jakido Wrote:

> The problem I find with the crossing at the

> pedestrian crossings is you the end up having to

> walk/

> cycle on the pavement, which isn?t ideal.

If not getting off and pushing across a pedestrian crossing, I?d say that the easiest access is to turn right out of Whatley and then down Blackwater. The pelican crossing gives you the opportunity to move out onto a clear road (and if there?s no-one there to activate it you can hop off your bike and press the button yourself.

I can?t think of another point where there?s a light activated crossing close enough to a junction, or that doesn?t have traffic approaching from another road. You could also turn left out of Whateley but that has the added complication of the bus stop and cars being released by the lights coming up behind you as you wait to turn right into Melbourne. Probably the safest place to cross over in the other direction though.

Agree. Obviously shouldn?t cycle on the pavement. I suppose the particular challenge with most of the pedestrian crossings, eg opposite the coop, foxtons, near heber road junction is you can?t just get back on your bike straight away, you have to walk quite a bit of pavement before you can start cycling again if you?re going in the opposite direction to the traffic.

Goodness, how many times would you suddenly need to change sides on LL with your children? If shopping why not tether your bikes and walk? If not shopping, then unclear why you cannot use pedestrian crossings along with everyone else?

hammerman Wrote:

> But there were only horse and carts in Victorian

> days.

>

> Things have changed and if you want to cycle with

> your children along busy roads and suddenly change

> sides you will have to either signal to change

> lanes or use crossings.