Breakfast ideas for 1 year old

Cheryl_M

What you're doing sounds like a pretty good breakfast I reckon! If you're after a bit of variety we have tried:

French toast/eggy bread (at weekends when there's time)

Little pancakes with fruit (again, weekends)

Various other bread products- my daughter likes crumpets

Boots do quite a nice muesli which I put warm milk on for her...

Eggy bread definitely a winner for us, as well as American style pancakes with blueberries in them, mini crossiants as a treat, eggy crumpets or crumpets with cream cheese?

Latest winner is hot porridge with frozen blueberries stirred into it which cools it down and makes it purple!

My daughter devours hot cross buns and Special K - I know the latter is quite sweet and not ideal having sugar in cereal but if you're desperate for a change. Mine rejected porridge around this age and so we went onto weetabix, when she rejected that we moved on Special K. Or squashed banana on toast.

How could I forget about delicious pancakes?! Thats definitely on the menu for tomorrow, if I don't eat them before they hit the plate!

I know porridge and fruit is the best option but I just want as much variety in her meals as possible so thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

My son is weirdly not into bread products (I thought all kids were?!) but he loves scrambled egg and better still, scrambled egg with smoked salmon. If I order it in a cafe for us to "share" he will scoff the lot and leave me the soggy toast. Lidl salmon is really good.

We also do lots of homemade smoothies with whatever fruit needs eating, porridge oats, natural yoghurt, honey, milk and ice. Or another firm favourite is mango lassi with tinned mango pulp, yoghurt, milk and ice. I freeze the leftovers and make mango lollies which he loves, even in current arctic temps.

Our 2.5yr old has small handfuls of all cereals in our cupboard, so a crushed weetabix, handful of Cheerios, handful of crispies, and handful of shreddies! Yes it's a big bowl full! On occasion, with daddy, golden nuggets! But a very small handful!

When she was younger she did get fussy, so we reversed breakfast, toast first, then cereal or fruit first then cereal. And at times we didn't feed her straight away, let h play for half hour then feed her.

Are you giving her a milk feed first thing or straight into breakfast?

Baby Belle loves a boiled egg. Surprised no one else has mentioned that as an option.

We also do grilled mushrooms with a cheese stuffing.

But blueberry pancakes served with yoghurt and a fruit salad win every time.

And not just at weekends either - pancakes freeze really well we find and can just be defrosted in the toaster or microwave.

Muesli or other cereals stirred into yoghurt is a good way of getting cereals into little ones with less mess than milk seems to make at that age. Our lad loves that and it's dead quick to make.

I'm also a convert to Oatibix as a quick alternative to porridge which you do t need to wait to cool down. Basically it's the same as Weetabix but made with oats. Once you've added the milk it quickly reduces to a mush. You can even make it with warm milk and it's like instant porridge.

Good quality non-stick frying/saute pan, medium-low heat for pancakes, probably a little higher for eggy bread.

Grease pan with a little butter or oil first.

A poor quality pan will have heat spots that cause food to burn and stick to it. Afraid there isn't an easy solution to that beyond deep frying but that's probably unadvisable for everyone on a regular basis!

My son loves shreddies. I found them great when learning to use a spoon as they can also just pick then up with fingers which means you don't have to spoon feed and can eat your own breakfast. At 20 months now, sometimes he picks them up out of the bowl with one hand and put them On the spoon which he is holding in the other hand. Mixed in with chopped banana, berries or raisins.

My 7 months old's favourite breakie is homemade Swiss "Bircher muesli", which is in the same ball park as porridge, but feels like a treat and can be made in batches to last 2-3 days, which helps with the morning rush. It is a great way to get all kinds of goodies into LOs (I have one recipe which includes shredded carrots) and my Swiss m-in-law has about 100 ways of doing it. But I have found easiest and yummiest for babies to be:

1 x banana and apple ?Ella?s Kitchen?

4-6 tbls of Greek yoghut, to taste

4 tbls of oats

I bash the oats about a bit in a pestle and mortar first, because my baby is still very little.

The above quantities last him 2 days. It would probably stretch to 3 if I didn?t pick at it myself. It?s yummy. Reminds me of banoffee pie. In fact, I may have some in the fridge now?..

Some good & healthy cereals to try are puffed wheat (sainsbros own, no crap) puffed rice (in the health food section of sainsburys) & some type of hoop thing also in health food section, they are all sugar & salt free or very low

Also oatibix are good, the big ones as the smaller ones are covered in sugar to keep them together

Toast goes down well in our house as does yoghurt & fruit

I buy sainsburys basics frozen forest fruits & cook it down sometimes with apple to make a sugar free compote which I add to plain yog. I also eat this myself which is why the toddler likes it so much no doubt! I have granola on mine & chopped banana so he often just digs into my bowl & helps himself after his 1st bowl of cereal

Weekends he will devour any cooked breakfast

Or crumpets or muffins etc