East Dulwich Police Station/Waitrose

Meg1001

With the imminent closure of ED police station, just sounding out how much support they'd be for a Waitrose. Personally I think a Waitrose on the ground level with apartments on the top two levels would be a positive development for Lordship Lane.

Oh no not again - I did some shopping in Waitrose in Beckenham a a couple of weeks ago as we had been given some vouchers. Got 3 bags of shopping for ?80 odd pounds, If you take ?12 off for a coupe of towels we purchased ?68 and we had not got half of what we normally buy. The deatest thing was around ?11 which was a bag of IAMS cat food on special offer. Considering we spend average of ?90 pw which includes cat food for 3 cats and end up usually with 6 - 8 bags, Waitrose is a 'luxury shop' like M & S for a family.

Food did look nice I must admitt but way beyond of what we could spend in a week.

There's no "cheapest" supermarket. You have to be choosy about what you buy in each one (if you have the time and inclination to trek around them all).

The cheapest way is to shop on Peckham Rye.

I do like Waitrose though, would save me the monthly 20 minute drive to Beckenham...

Ok. I'm a sucker for getting sucked into this. But ....seriously ...what is the wahala about Waitrose? I've seen nothing there that's special.

Am I missing something ...if so , what exactly? Feels a bit like people are desperate to have something to make them feel good about moving to SE London.

Agree with Lowlander. It's more about ambience I suspect. Not having done a taste test, or price comparison, I can't comment on those aspects.

But a couple of years ago I was visiting my Dad and we went to Cirencester to pick up some groceries. We started off in Waitrose. This was serene and peaceful, with wide aisles, large window (lots of natural light), the decor and displays were harmonious and easy to navigate around. But they didn't have something we wanted, so we also went to Tesco's. This was huge, loud, colourful/garish, busy and the shelves were much higher (giving an oppressive feeling), with very bright lighting. It was a bit like going from a lovely spa to a 1970's disco, and was rather a shock to the system.

Jacqui5254 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you want serene and peaceful, wide aisles,

> large windows you have to pay for it through high

> Waitrose prices.

>

> They have a price match with 1000 Tesco items.

> That means that the remaining 8760000 items cost

> MORE than Tesco.

I don't think I could fit 8760000 items in my basket. I'll stick to the 1000 at low prices but with Waitrose's service and peaceful shopping experience.

Open to a mix on Lordship but was pleased the Cash Converters by Goose Green Roundabout didn't last - don't want anywhere too handy for all those thieving scum burglars to cash their loot in - make them drive to Beckenham, in our nicked cars!

• 3 weeks later...