Door-to-door fishmongers - should I beware?

jesska

Hi there, just wondered if there is anything sinister about the guys who periodically knock on your door selling fish? The first time it happened to me was a Monday, so I said no thank you and have decided I'd rather not generally buy from unsolicited sellers. But a friend of mine in another area apparently bought a lot of fish from one of these guys, and paid by bank transfer (which does indeed seem weird), and now is worried that it is some sort of scam. Any thoughts? thanks!

Absolutely, which is why I tended to think, in my case, someone was just trying to off-load some ripe product... but there must be some mobile fishmongers out there. To be fair, the guys she bought from have a website that looks legit to me.

I've bought from a fishmonger who comes around door-to-door. I don't think the Monday thing matters much anymore - pretty much all fish is deep frozen at sea nowadays isn't it? Even most of the stuff at Moxen's will have been frozen before it ends up on their counter.

I can't remember who it was who came round, but it was a firm, not just a one man shop. They only sold bulk frozen pieces though. We tried fishfingers which were fine but no better than decent supermarket ones. Doesn't mean you saw the same people, but I had no concerns about the ones that came round to me.

It shouldn't matter that it was a bank transfer. That is only an issue when you're buying something you haven't physically got, because there is no come back if the goods aren't delivered. Assuming your friend actually got given the fish at the same time no problem. Bank transfers are cheaper for a business as there are generally no transaction costs associated with it.

Ask for a card / flyer / other marketing bumpf that someone from a genuine business should no-doubt have on their person.

The only time I've had a similar person offering fish, he could provide none of these, nor any sign of fish or a vehicle, and I told him that the only thing smelling fishy was him. He wasn't amused.