Best Pub Ever

Marmora Man

In another thread ???? likened the EDF to a good pub. It set me thinking - what was the best pub I ever drank in? Of course I continue to seek out new pubs to update on the current best - but I have yet to beat "The Greyhound" in Staple Fitzpaine, Somerset.

It was a serendipitous find - driving to the West Country in 1977 in the rain, late and delayed a girlfriend and I stopped at the first halfway decent looking spot and found "The Greyhound". It was being restored, builder debris surrounded it. The new owners wanted to create a new kind of pub cum restaurant with rooms (Gastro pubs hadn't been invented then). Slate floors, Somerset Bath stone walls, the beer was perfect, the wood fire warming, food was excellent and our room had a huge lumpy brass bed and, because the bathrooms hadn't been finished, we used the family bathroom - complete with children's bath toys. The landlord & wife were chuffed to have us as their first guests, brought out good wine to share and were brilliant hosts, for a few years we were regulars.

Regrettably the owners eventually sold out to a local chain and the special charm departed with the old owners, but I still remember the place with affection.

By its nature a "Best Pub" category must be personal as there can be no absolute measure of best pub. What are your best pubs?

Not only a good thread but I think mine bears close similarity to yours

The Double Locks on the banks of the river a mile or two outside Exeter used to be my absolute favourite. A beer drinkers haven, lager was frowned upon but the food portions and prices were fantastic

Again, as above, it was bought by a brewery and sold on to a bigger one and it is now a shadow of it's former self

The Dungeon Bar in Aberdeen University students union (the old Union - the one that was around in 1987). It had vaulted ceilings replete with the most incredible 2001AD murals (some you could only see properly when flat on your back. Great beers, copper topped tables for humping and a fantastic juke-box. I mean it was the first time I ever heard Bowie's Port of Amsterdam!

Other great bars are Fibber Magees in Robinson's in Belfast, the Crawfordsburn Inn, Saltwater Brig on the Ards Penninsula. Anywhere, as has already been mentioned, that has a real fire is straight onto the A ist in my opinion. Stop me before I get too sentimental.

in the port of Amsterdam there's a sailor who drinks, and he drinks and he drinks, and he drinks once again

Personally I'm partial to any pub which has 2000AD murals all over the walls. Bowie on the jukebox as well and I may even move town. Aberdeen is a tough sell tho

Other great pubs I remember

The Beehive in Swindon (speaking of hard sells) - a place that kept me sane for 3 years in Wiltshire

The Fountain in Whimple Devon - I watched the whole of the 94 World Cup in there and had my stag as well - top landlord

Filthy McNasty's in Angel about 10 years ago (another pub which is a shadow if it's former self)

The Porter Cottage in Sheffield

1) In the Lake District is a small pub which has about 100 different beers on sale at any time.

I think.

Trouble is, had to drive there and the B&B was a bike ride away.

2) The Phoenix when it was The Phoenix & Firkin, Denmark Hill, when the Firkin Brewery section was visible and they made DOGBOLTER beer (strongest. And Phoenix (middle) and Rail Ale (mildest).

3) Cheers off the telly.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------

>

> 2) The Phoenix when it was The Phoenix & Firkin,

> Denmark Hill, when the Firkin Brewery section was

> visible and they made DOGBOLTER beer (strongest.

> And Phoenix (middle) and Rail Ale (mildest).

I planned my marriage at he Phoenix in 1988 - my wife was living just off Camberwell Grove. Have also drunk at Sean's pub the Fountain in Whimple - getting worrying this, am I stalking SEan or is he stalking me?

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Although the idea is a good one pubs are

> modal...so it depends what your mood you're in,

> who your with or what you're looking for

Not just modal - but also time / generational. That fantastic uni pub won't be the same 20 years on - tho' the memories will be vivid.

I'd add to my first post:

Goose & Firkin - the original Firkin pub, A few pints followed by pizza and more beer at Pizzeria Castello is a fond memory of the mid 80's (and living in Red Ken's London to cross refer another thread)

The Ferry in the back streets of Norwich - by the river. Can't remember too much but the sign "Fag Ash Lil no longer smokes but plays jazz here on Saturdays and Sundays" has stuck in my mind.

The Robin Hood, Elsenham, Essex. Long since converted to a private house. It's where I drank my first, illegal, beer and subsequently my first legal beer 2 years later. Old fashioned and quiet the publican knew everyone in the village and kept an eye on the underage drinkers.

The Duke of York in N. Devon. Run by an Italian, great log fire, no musak, story telling once a week, folk club and centre of the village cricket. First outing for my son, now almost 18, 3 weeks after his birth.

The Ferry, inner harbour, Portsmouth. Grimy, smoke filled, tiny pub frequented by fishermen, tough sailors and tougher women. Good beer, food limited to ham sandwiches and crisps.

ok on the location front -

The Three compasses - mSomwhere Worth Maltravers??? Dorset, Crisps and pork scratchings only but fabulous beer through a hatch

In the 1980s The Old Sun on Long Acre - mad landlady who only drank champagne knew everyone and her daughter fancied my mate so we used to get lock-ins in covent garden (now a corporate hell hole so don't bother)

Local(ish) The Hermit's Cave, accidentally the coolest pub in Camberwell and always has been, Brendan still the Guvnor since god knows when, locals who have drank their for years (mainly alcoholic admittedly) but nice to see them in there week in week out year in year out. Plus the trendiest Art School lot who find the Funky far too cheesey......proper safe boozer...ang, until recently, George the Pot man

Awwww what a sweet story!

Who's Sean, where's Whimple?

I had Phoenix down on my Will till Dogbolter bolted, then changed it to Clockhouse across the park, my local.

It's just got better and better!

(My will, as in No Service or religious stuff, just everyone down the pub!)

On another note, I had to pop into the Plough some time ago to deliver something, and always thought I would like to drink there one day it seems so nice, but all the stories of it being a creche are REALLY putting me off. I agree that my fave type of pubs are ones you are allowed to drink and swear and not have to worry about over-sensitive mummy and daddy-ears!

Marmora Man Wrote:

I planned my marriage at he Phoenix in 1988 - my

> wife was living just off Camberwell Grove. Have

> also drunk at Sean's pub the Fountain in Whimple -

> getting worrying this, am I stalking SEan or is he

> stalking me?

The Greyhound in Midhurst, West Sussex. 17th century, inglenooks aplenty, looking over the South Downs! Been going there since I was a kid, obviously changed hands a number of times but the food is fabtastic and it still has it's family room for the kids, pool table, juke box and darts board. Recommend to anyone.

The Angel at Hetton, North Yorkshire. Ticks all boxes.

Also, The Rock House, Stockport (RIP). 100% old-school 70s boozer. Double Diamond ashtrays (with those tan-coloured burns in the plastic), KP nuts hanging from card festooned with dolly birds, swirly carpet, Chicory Tip on jukebox, Shaws cherryade pop and peppermint cordial. I was six. Nero

I have posted this before so sorry if you have already read it, but i still think its worth another look.

It,s not my best pub ever but it encapsulates the reasons why I run bars for a living

Pardon my naivete

I know for a pub...

It sits in a hamlet off the beaten track, two miles from the nearest sizeable settlement which in turn is ten miles from anywhere that might reasonably be described as civilisation.

The public bar is rumoured to have a pool table and a jukebox, but I don't know of anyone who's ventured in that side since God was a boy.

The lounge is dark and dingy, there's little choice of beer. Wadworth's 6X, Stella (from a can) or Natch cider (from a bottle). There'll be a house red if the landlord hasn't already drunk it. Any of these will likely be served in glassware that would benefit from a second pass through the glass washer if indeed they have one.

They do not sell food.

There is no jukebox, fruit machine, television or anything to suggest that the room has been altered in 100 years. There is a patina that could only have been created by so many smokers over that period of time.

It is quiet enough at lunchtime, maybe two or three folk will be in and occasionally the landlord will add his wisdom as he opens his second bottle of wine (he is educated, ancient and autocratic).

He opens at 7.30 in the evening and often as not the place is packed. Some folk will put their wellies on and walk 2 miles across open fields and a golf course, braving windy, wet November weather to get there.

Why does this place work?

Is it because people have to talk to each other for amusement because there are no distractions such as a telly?

Or is it because he has something that one rarely sees these days: an open log fire that burns at all hours in all seasons and weathers?

Surely it's not because his "watch stops working" now and then?

Best pub for me was the Banner Cross in Torquay as it was where I hung out when young. There was simply a wonderful mix of people there, punks, goths, bikers, (even a couple of suits), everyone got on well, the landlord Alan was marvellous and it was more an institution than a pub. I can't remember what I drank there, and I am pretty sure that it didn't do food - but that just didn't matter. I celebrated my 18th and my 21st in there and when it closed it was a very sad day indeed.

It is now commonly called the Hope and Grope and if you are ever in Torquay I suggest you give it a wide berth.

I love Whitby, and there is an old smugglers Inn type pub there just at the bottom of the steps up to the Abbey (where legend has it the black dog jumped off an otherwise deserted ship, and ran up the stairs in to the Abbey and vanished. Bram Stoker got the Dracular idea from this if memory serves).

Really old and traditional, which is what I love. A pub that makes you feel like you're stuck in another time is a special thing.

In years to come people withh crowd in to the CPT's Lounge Bar and talk about what it must have been like in the 1970s, you mark my words.