ludlow thompson rip off?? advice please!

buttercupSE11

I used LT to let out my 1 bed flat 3 years back.

They were appalling, to the extent that I had to complain to the property ombudsman.

They would disturb my tenant and visit unannounced.

After my tenant's tenancy ended and vacated, they wrote a computer populated letter telling me I owed more money as the 'tenancy had renewed for a period.'

What does 'for a period' even mean??

Despite knowing that one of their competitors had now let the property, I received solicitors letters demanding that this 'debt' be paid. The solicitor was referred to the legal ombudsman on the basis that they were representing Lt without so much as checking the facts.

And yes, do check the contracts very carefully. After promising me various refunds for undue fees, they pointed me to the small print which conveniently for them meant they had to only credit my LT account in the hope that I'd return to them in the future. Not a chance.

I have all of the documentation somewhere, should LT attempt to contest the above on here.

• 4 weeks later...

Reading this thread confirms everything I've heard from a good friend who was letting a property through LT - the lying, the unauthorised visits, plus the incompetence and evasiveness of staff at Head Office. Having been privy to what happened, I would't use them.

I just did a quick google and found this: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/real-estate-services/estate-agents-in-general/1181964/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I dont consider myself to be naive to the ways of the world, but your firm surprised me in a way that we could not have envisioned.

I've a number of rental properties, and we chose (with the benefit of hindsight) somewhat foolishly to go with you approximately 8 months ago.

We contracted with you to find a tenant, the tenants with you for the lease.

What I failed to pick up on, was the line in our contract with you, signing over to you the right to sub contract out the supplies of utilities for the flat.

What the tenants failed to pick up on was the line in their contract switching them to Spark.

Now I will point out, nothing was provided in writing by spark about the impending switch, nor were your staff ever open and transparent with either us, nor the tenants about the what you intended to do.

The normal spark energy experience ensued for the tenants - nothing happens till they receive an outrageous bill, threatening letters, refusals to let the switch, no one answers the calls to let them pay the bills to make them switch.

Any, after months of little to no help from you, no apology, no acknowledgement that the process was underhanded.

We decided to escalate things - so I believe there is a thread here with approximately 1100 views, we also contacted all the broadsheets, the energy regulator, which, watch dog and local press.

I'm pleased to say that we know we've impacted on your bottom line, and that so long as one person does not rent with you, or lease their property through you on a continuing basis, it will feel like a result.

i'm looking forward to the watch dog episode on Wednesday - as that will, I'm sure, dent your bottom line further, and whilst I hold out no hope at all that you may have learnt anything from this experience as a business, to see you continue to take knocks - that may eventually result in you going under would be no bad thing for Lord Ship Lane.

I notice that you've offered repeatedly to discuss this in public, as a business you showed no interest in discussing it in private when this happened - so this I assume is clearly all front and perhaps if you have to spend a little energy on damage reputation in the coming weeks, less energy will be expended at ripping people off.

Looking forward to the Watch Dog episode!

I let a property via the forum in April and Ludlow Thompson contacted me by Private Message to offer assistance. Having read this thread with numerous complaints, I told them I would be an utter halfwit to even consider using them.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So Ludlow have surpassed themselves once again.

In spite of whats been written here, a separate thread started about exactly the same issue, LT have written to us to talk about extending the contract for the tenants in the property and the associated renewal fee.

What they failed to check was that the tenants left 6 months ago, we would not contract with them if they were the last firm on LSL - or more accurately the planet.

You would have thought that someone might have a)checked the story on the tenants b) checked to see how satisfied we were with the way they'd worked but no, another form letter resulting in another opportunity for me to vent on here about just how poor they really are.

LT are to be avoided by both landlords and tenants. They are without a doubt, the single worst organisation I've ever had the displeasure to work with in almost any field. In fact I'd be hard pressed to find someone worse and I could understand if they did not work in the tenants interest (even if that were appallingly bad practice) but they don't even work in the landlords.

We have been using the team at Trupennys now for 6 months, they are quick, responsive, completely transparent and have looked after our property and friends whilst we've been overseas. For all issues, they've acted promptly, where expense was incurred obtained quotes and generally worked well for both us, and our tenants and it has been an excellent experience.

Note - I'm not paid to say that about Trupennys - I'm paying them - significant sums of cash and they've been extremely good.

polla2256 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ludlow are still fleecing people just had a PM

> from a prospector. More needs to be done.

This forum can be a fantastic tool and a real disturbance .

Firstly go and speak with the neg who originally looked after you and explain your issue and if then not happy speak to the manager and if then you are still not happy speak to their head office

That is the way to deal with a reputable agent who are licensed and checked regular.

There can be bad negs don't get me wrong but there is a way of dealing with it first without ruining their reputation.

On a different note, bearing in mind Tom just said Ludlow Thompson offers a friendly service, a couple of years ago I contacted their sales team to get my flat valued as I was thinking of selling up and moving back to Wales. Someone quite pleasant came out and I got a valuation. But a day later an aggressive and extremely arrogant man from their office rang me, saying I really had to make my mind up. When I said I was still thinking about it, and I'd have to go up to Wales first to have a look at some properties, he started shouting at me, saying something along the lines of: 'Now listen, you've already wasted enough of our time and if you want us to work for you you've got to keep to your side of the bargain.'

I then calmly asked him if he was for real, reminded him his wasn't the only estate agents in East Dulwich and said he'd just lost a possible customer and put the phone down on him. He continued leaving bullying shouty messages for at least another week. I ignored them. Unbelievable.

we tried that - they were uncooperative, did not apologise, failed to assist us and the tenants in rectifying the situation and were in essence - awful

note - we've never ever been pro-actively contacted by LT about the situation, nor received an apology for what was a blatant deception on their part (acknowledging that we failed to read the detail or the contract), and when we contacted them, they were less than forthright about what they said i.e. they told us they'd explained they'd take over the management of the utilities - never happened, though it was obviously there in writing and we missed it

so i don't feel any compulsion to do them the same service i'd have expected when the problem first arose, I'm not contacting them or their office and every person that does not go with them's a result as we will have done them (be they tenants or landlords) a favour

Estate agency is a very cut throat business to be in. But isn't every trade now a days???

I am finding this thread unbelievable that either people are ignorant or plain stupid.

I have worked from being in the high end letting business to the low end and I have seen how prospective tenants and landlords behave. And this thread shows it all.

I will now need to explain to you all on this forum what and how an agent needs to do over the next few days.

In 14 years of renting in London i don't think i've ever dealt with a letting agent i've been happy with.

My last experience of Ludlow Thompson was a few years ago now but similar to those people are reporting. They tried to charge us ?200 to make three copies of a standard AST. They also repeatedly let their agents take people round our flat for viewings without seeking our permission.

In the interests of balance i have also dealt with othe SE London Letting Agents who have:

Tried to force us to use their preferred insurer and energy supplier, claiming we would be breaching our tenancy agreement if we didn't.

Demanded a holding deposit in order to view a flat.

Failed to produce an up to date EPC and when challenged claimed it was not a requirement for tenants.

Charged us ?50 each to renew a tenancy, when they had already charged our landlord ?150 to do the same thing.

Lost the spare keys to our flat when they were supposed to be acting as a key holder for our landlord.

Failed to action requests for repairs or pass the requests on to the landlord.

Told us the landlord wanted 6 months rent up front ... He didn't.

Tried to charge ?80 for a check in that consisted of us visiting their office to collect keys.

And my final favourite one. Using information that we had registered for sales at one branch to send to another branch to contact our landlord to say as his tenants were moving out could they put the property back out to rent for him.

Aha. D.Ludlow sounds just like the man I had the misfortune of being shouted at by. We're all "ignorant or plain stupid". Yup, it's definitely you. How's tricks? (And please don't patronise us by telling us what an estate agent has to do - we already know. Zero.

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Aha. D.Ludlow sounds just like the man I had the

> misfortune of being shouted at by. We're all

> "ignorant or plain stupid". Yup, it's definitely

> you. How's tricks? (And please don't patronise us

> by telling us what an estate agent has to do - we

> already know. Zero.

I am not a man i am a woman!!! and had enough of people putting estate agents down.

Go and work in one for a day and see what work they do. You will be surprised i am sure.

You need to have organisation skills, customer care skills and most of all know your landlord and tenant requirements. And make sure that both are informed through out with making sure the paperwork is received and complete.

You think that is easy! No sir it isnt.

Do you know what is needed to market your property after a valuation? i dont think so.

You see when a landlord or a prospective tenant makes an enquiry the negotiator/ assistant manager/ manager whichever needs to explain the terms and conditions and as you know this takes time and no one has time. Then what happens is the estate agent gets blamed.

Again dont get me young there are lazy staff but again if your arent happy make an internal complaint that is what the Manager is there for. The manager is not there to show you the property but to manage the office.

Every Estate agent like every business have different procedures different terms and conditions for each lettings and sales and have different fees.

Mentioned on this thread was the referencing fees.

There are different ref fees to how the client is being referenced and then you have to take into account its not just the ref fee from ref company ( which also vary )its the costing of the estate agents staffs time/ office.

I am going to try and explain how much work is involved for an estate agent.

I am not trying to be an ambassador at all. I just want to put across to the forum that their job isnt as easy as they think.

Its not just plugging in a property to Zoopla portal. There is far more involved than that.

For example, the time of valuation. The valuer needs to value the property correctly and get the landlords consent. Now this is no easy job as usually the landlord dictates this.

Then you need to take into account the time it takes to go on the visit and then to get pictures of the property after getting the consent and terms and conditions signed.

Its no easy job of an estate agent. The fees are so varied as well as i have seen fees starting from as low as 3% and average is 8%. You see thats why they can become bully boyish as it is cut throat and the landlord just wants to pay min and play between agents as there are so many around here.

I will go now for today but i will be back with some more info