House renovation - new kitchen design and complete chimney removal - where to start?

riggsy

Hello all

I'm one of those new generation of blokes that just doesn't have any clue when it comes to matters DIY but hoping some kind soul out there can guide me in the right direction.

My wife and I live in a lovely 3 bed terrace but the 3rd bedroom is tiny because of the chimney stack - we want to remove this and, with the neighbour's consent, the shared stack above the roof line (note this is the back chimney i.e. not the one that goes through the loft). We also want to go the full hog and remove the rest of the chimney downstairs into the kitchen and redesign and fit something new, add a window or two and big folding doors onto the v.v.v.v. small back garden.

Basically I haven't a clue where to start - essentially if the Chimney is a no go then may need to rethink everything but should I get a structural engineer round to assess this? do I simply get a builder in to advise on whether this is/or not possible and for all the design work do you need to appoint surveyors/architects or again do the builders do all of this?

Realise I need to get party wall agreements and so forth but at this stage I just want a wise head to have a look at all this and tell me if it is possible and what steps to follow.

Anyone done anything similar and can pass on some wise words/advise/recommendation for me? Best response gets a Riggsy beer voucher to be redeemed at any East Dulwich pub!

Thanks all

We thought about doing this exact same thing. For us, the only option would have been the complete removal of the stack and chimney. From memory, we were advised we would have definately needed building regs approval for this work and that would have required the submission of drawings and structural engineer's report saying it was fine.

So, it was certainly possible for us from a structural perspective, although your position may be different - you need to get some advice on this and I can recommend Goddens Structural, who have been recommended a number of times on this forum. They would be my first port of call. They may tell you "yes" or "no" in 5 mins.

If you do it then you'll then need to make good the roof and both floors. The removal of the stack and chimney may also cause some damage to your neighbour's property and you will be liable for this too.

We read up on this extensively and ultimately decided not to proceed with it because:

- the likely cost (we thought over ?5K after all the making good, scaffolding etc) was hard to justify given the fact the extra room it would create would not be that significant.

- it would be an enormous hassle and extremely dirty.

Hi there

We are having similar work done at the moment in that we are having a chimney breast and load bearing wall removed. We got a few builders round to quote and it seems that they tend to have a structural engineer that they regularly work with and they will give you the contact details for this person if they need plans to work from. So for us it was the builder first, then the structural engineer to draw up the plans and do any calculations necessary.

I'm pretty sure you will need to contact building control at the council because you are making structural changes and I would be tempted to ring them up and ask them for their advice in terms of the changes you are planning to make and the best way for you to approach it.

Building control will want to send a surveyor round to check everything once the work is done and this will cost a few hundred quid, ask building control to clarify this for you. I've pointed it out as it's one of those hidden costs that you don't necessarily think about at the outset.

Hi Riggsy,

Wow - sounds a very exciting project! I agree with Trizza - a decent builder will work closely with a structural engineer so get in touch with a builder first. And if you want a great one - try David O'Brien. He did 2 extensions on my last house and has just finished my kitchen. I enjoyed the whole experience so much I'd gladly do it all again! If you call him mention me (Vicky). 07960 938621

Archived