Complaining about traffic on Forest Hill Road

TonyQuinn

Firstly to say that parents parking illegally is a separate issue than speeding and crossing points on the road.

Katrusja, I did raise it with the Head following your previous complaint and she assured me she would write to parents on this matter. Illegal parking is a police matter and you could pass your pictures to the Peckkham Rye SNT. I would suggest that it would be better not putting pictures with children in them on the ED Forum as you haven't asked the child's parent/guardian's permission to do so. I will raise the issue with the Head and SNT again.

DBboy, I do know there have been accidents at the site (eg Lollipop lady has herself been knocked down) and when I visited with Cllr Hargrove, there was a near miss of a woman with a buggy (heard the brakes and woman screaming but as talking to Councillor Hargrove so I didn't witness the actual event). This was while there was no Lollipop Lady present. The issues with crossing are when there is no Lollipop Lady there (eg Lunchtime for Nursery pupils for both primaries as they do half day, morning or afternoon, and after after school clubs, for local residents at other times and at weekends and secondary pupils, earlier in the morning). There is no crossing point at all where people cross between the P4 and P12 bus routes (round the bend).

Tony, where the Lollipop Lady is, is the informal crossing point. The theory of this crossing point was that when the lollipop Lady isn't there, that drivers would see pedestrains standing there and stop, to enable them to cross ie like a Zebra crossing without the stripes. This functions very well on quiet residential roads. As I have said above, I would like to have residents opinion on how well this works in practice in this location.

Growley Bear the reason why the OP suggested the Fairlawn and Lewisham be contacted is that both Boroughs have to work together at this site as it's on a Borough border. As Fairlawn haven't raised the issue and apparently Lewisham residents haven't complained to their Council (but I've had complaints from Lewisham residents!), Lewisham haven't been notified of any problems and meetings between the two councils on this matter over the last few years haven't progressed. I know that legally schools have no powers against parking infringements, however reminder letters to parents may prevent at least some of the offending parents parking on double yellow lines, on pavements and at bus stops.

Renata

Yes they are separate issues, but they are all linked.

Writing to perents is not enough it NEEDS ENFORCEMENT. Cars parked up and down both sides of Forest Hill Road by Cabrini is the potential cause of an accident waiting to happen (as is the parents who use the bottom of Netherby and Canonbie roads as temporary carparks whilst dropping off and picking up their children.

Sort this out and it will contribute towards helpibng resolve the issue of speeding.

The road does not need lights or speed humps otherwise you'll bring the road to a standstill. Going North most mornings traffic backs up from Forest Hill Road into Honor Oak Park.

It's not hard to cross Forest Hill Road by Cabrini, you just need to judge the time you want to cross. As for the lollipop lady she does her job and no more.

Ms Hamvas, really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this. I think most of the issues of concern have been raised and I am glad you made clear to individuals why I mentioned in OP why parents of kids at Fairlawn, if so inclined, may wish to badger both councils. And yes, I've lived where I have for years and for the life of me did not know that island in the middle of the road represented a crossing point. Just saw it as a futile effort to address the speed situation. I've never used it, it's as perilous as trying to cross anywhere else.

BTW, a car parked on FHR was smashed up at the junction down by the Brenchley Gardens junction. No doubt, some speeding involved there too.

Again, get those emails off to the names relayed up top and hopefully we, as the local community, can see our main thoroughfare get a little safer. It's never going to be quiet...it is a main road. But improvements cannot be beyond the wit of man or woman.

And as a side point, where the hell are parents meant to drop their kids off at Francesca Cabrini. It's only a problem for half an hour twice a day. Don't think it's the priority in anyway.

Hi Dbboy, I did say above that I would be contacting the Head and Local Police. I do think that when children on their own are crossing (eg older primary and secondary who travel alone) and adults with children or those who are not as fast on their feet may find it difficult crossing in the traffic gaps. Have cars stopped for you at the crossing point? I do agree that parents should be encouraged to walk or use public transport where possible to get to school; I believe that many of them do walk or get the bus.

Hi Tony, thanks.

I certainly don't condone parents parking unsafely. They could park a little further away and walk up to the school gates.

Renata

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>> Growley Bear the reason why the OP suggested the

> Fairlawn and Lewisham be contacted is that both

> Boroughs have to work together at this site as

> it's on a Borough border. As Fairlawn haven't

> raised the issue and apparently Lewisham residents

> haven't complained to their Council (but I've had

> complaints from Lewisham residents!), Lewisham

> haven't been notified of any problems and meetings

> between the two councils on this matter over the

> last few years haven't progressed. I know that

> legally schools have no powers against parking

> infringements, however reminder letters to parents

> may prevent at least some of the offending parents

> parking on double yellow lines, on pavements and

> at bus stops.

>

> Renata

The problems of parking adjacent to Fairlawn Primary School have been raised repeatedly with parents over many years, and the local authority is well aware of the issues. There is little that can be done by the school when providing the means to enforce the parking and traffic restrictions is given such low priority.

Growlybear, what I was hoping to achieve from this thread is to get parents at Fairlawn to complain to interested parties about the lack of crossing points on Forest Hill Road, and the crazy junction up top, which I'm sure is seen and used by kids at the school. The parking issue is another matter. The main problem is the crazy road design and the speed. Sorry, if I'm sounding like a broken record.

Renata, I'm talking about Cabrini in this instance, not Fairlawn so please don't change the subject.

Tonyquinn - I think you've achieved your objective of highlighting an issue you percieve.

There is an island for crossing in front of Cabrini already which is used. and that in the morning and afternoon has a lollipop lady - what else do you want - would no traffic make you happy.

If people wish to cross else where they do so at their own risk. Cross in the designated place and you will be a lot safer.

Hi

I was just pointed to this thread - I had posted similiar concerns yesterday on se23.com. I live very near the Cabinri school also. I guess your concerns depend on whether you are a driver or a pedestrian. If you drive in the area, I suppose you don't see the issues of speed and the parked cars around the school would annoy/obstruct you, perhaps this is where dbboy is coming from, I don't know.

For me, I walk all the time and speed is the main issue for me too. From the Cabrini school down to Wood vale but ALSO the other direction down to HOP. When you walk down to HOP park, you are very near the road from one tree hill down...and feel very unsafe at times with the speed of cars, lorries and buses - the speed bumps are absolutely ineffective. I sometimes find myself gesturing to drivers because I'm so annoyed at how fast they are driving. I think speed cameras are needed. I will email the contacts given expressing my concerns.

Ive contacted lewisham councillors Alex feakes and Philip Peake. Technically it is southwark I believe but essentially given the boundary, what it needs is lewisham and southwark to cooperate on the issue. For all who are concerned about the issue please do contact lewisham and southwark officers as highlighted by the OP so that both councils will look together at the issue.

Hi All,

the pavement over the whole area up to just before the station is Southwark on one side of the road and Lewisham the other side of the road (Honor Oak Rec is Southwark). The road is Southwark from the northern end up as far as the top of the hill (ie P12 only section), and then south of this it becomes Lewisham eg where the P4 and P12 both stop, the road is Lewisham. This is why in order to get anything done, both Councils need to be involved.

Renata

There must be numbers of roads where this split is true (Wood Vale, for instance) - wouldn't it be possible for the councils to agree that as far as street-works were concerned, just one council would 'own' these and act on behalf of both - the streets involved could be shared out so that each council 'took-over' (just for street-works) equal amounts. That way when there was a necessity for work there would be no need for complex liaison each time. I am not suggesting moving actual residents etc. from one council to another (no impact on rates, provision of waste service etc.) - just the management and delivery of street works.

This sharing of works could be communicated to lcoal residents so they knew when a different council than 'their own' was managing the street outside their house/ shop.

A saving in day-to-day liaison costs for both councils would I am sure be there to be taken.

Hi Penguin, there are some agreements in place eg with street lighting, so that you have the same lighting on one Street. In terms of Forest Hill Road, as it is quite a long road, I think this is why it switches council over the hill. Councils can work together, very successfully; a large scheme was implemented jointly between Southwark and Lambeth in the Waterloo area.

Renata