Melbourne Grove GP - new lows

KatDew

This practice seems to have reached new lows. After trying to get an appointment for a few days for my toddler, not only did I get abuse from an extremely rude receptionist. I also had the pleasure of walking for nearly an hour to get to the walk in centre in Peckham, I had a 3 hour wait to get my daughter seen and treatment started. Then a one hour walk back.

So a 5 hour round trip. Over 7 mile walk and a lengthy wait with two toddlers to entertain.

Just as well I'm not sick then really.

Anyone able to recommend a GP practice? I would probably have moved years ago but we so rarely actually use the practice I hadn't got round to it.

It's a prerequisite that Doc's receptionists have to be rude, although...after 30 years of going to Forest Hill, they are now LOVELY, and humorous and quick. And BTW: you don't need to see a doc all the time. I see Jenny the Prac Nurse. Unless you have a head injury or any other serious complaint, always go Prac nurse. It'll relieve the already oversubscribed NHS massively!!

apparently they dont now accept same day emergency appointments. The earliest my wife could book an appointment for was for 2 weeks from today. Weve just signed up to the gardens.

Absolutely shocking (not to mention the incredibly rude receptionists).

ellieaness Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What s it with Drs Receptionists? I've not been

> registered with a GP or 6 years and unless going

> to see one becomes significantly easier I can't

> see that changing for a bit at least.

xxxxxxx

So what do you do if you're ill?

If you've been so well for 6 years that you've never needed to see a GP, please share your secret :)

My brother is a patient at Melbourne Grove and is always having trouble, he is disabled and not always up to dealing with the rude, unhelpful reception staff, who can never find prescriptions/booked appointments, can barely lift their head to speak with you when you attend, when I complained about this to management, I was told they had a new training practice in place and the service would improve, well, IT HASENT, the reception (ha) staff still treat you with contempt, sack the lot, I'm sure they can find more suitable employment, perhaps guarding scrap yards. Dont bother joining Dulwich (Money) Medical Centre either, when you can get an appointment you'll see one of the many, many locums who will just refer you for blood tests, Dr. Gupta, who I assume is still alive, having not seen him for thirty odd years, seems only interested in making money, one way or another?

I couldn't agree more. But what are the alternatives though? Ideally I'd like to register at the gardens but I'm outside the catchment. DMC seems to be over registered.....

Have you tried East Dulwich Primary Care Unit based in East Dulwich Hospital?

Both Dr Sarma & Dr Marks are very patient and listen to your woes.

The receptionist are a lovely bunch and although there may be a delay in getting appointments

for adults, they will always endeavour to fit an appointment for a sick child in on the same day,

My family have been with them since they moved from Maxted Road (previously Dr Slovak) and my grandsons

are now the 4th generation to be registered with this practice.

This seems to have hit new lows. If you haven't already, please complain through the official channels (think its still the PCT for now but info is on NHS Choices) and absolutely email or go to the MPs advice/surgery and ask her to look into this. The practice is paid to provide a service. If they are not able to provide a reasonable service to all there is a management problem that needs addressing.

Dr's receptionists get a lot of abuse from callers wanting immediate appointments etc. The callers naturally think their issue is the most important. Its not an excuse but I think it explains why they can be very unpleasant sometimes.

Don't bother with DMC. I was told 2 weeks+ for an appointment. Rang repeatedly at 8am this morning (took me 20 minutes to get through) then was offered an afternoon phone consultation at an unspecified time. I missed the call as I was in a meeting but called straight back afterwards to be assured they would call me back today. When I just called to check this they told me that in fact I had been misinformed and there is no longer anyone who can call me today. Do these people not understand that some people have JOBS FFS? USELESS!

I was ten minutes late for an appointment at Melbourne Grove - just to get a blood test referral that I used to get automatically - and there was nobody on reception. By the time I got to counter they said I was too late to see doctor as the cut off point is anything over ten minutes. When I asked if I could see doctor quickly they insisted on telling GP I was 14 mins late. Doctor was fine about it, terrible reception service.

MrsAk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Herne Hill Group Practice are good, phoned up at

> 8am today and got an appointment for this

> afternoon.

It looks like you were lucky today but I bet it's not always like that.

I've just left MG. I have a 10 month old baby. I was waiting for the duty doctor to call me as he was really poorly. The male receptionist was so rude to me, I was actually tearful. Couldn't believe he could be so unnecessarily rude. This was the last straw so the next day. I moved to Firest Hill road. Gingers crossed we get better service here...

Actually, it's worse than that. The receptionists at Melbourne Grove are now being used to carry out triage, just like those involved in the North Staffordshire scandal. Last week I rang Melbourne Grove and said I'd found a lump on the bottom of my spine. The receptionist told me he couldn't book me in for a week, instead of passing me to talk at least to a nurse if not a GP! In the 'old days' such a symptom would get you whipped in straight away. Not when it comes to MG receptionists. Surely this is illegal?

Sooner or later someone is going to die thanks to this 'system', and only then will it be investigated or closed down.

So I registered that day at the Gardens surgery - fantastic. Lovely, funny and warm receptionists and GPs. And, dear readers, it was benign...

I moved from MGMP about 6 months ago after a run in with a rude male receptionist (perhaps the same one as many others have mentioned here?) but having never been happy with my experiences there.

Another vote here for the Herne Hill Group - catchment depends on which side of Lordship Lane you live on, if you're on the West side you'll probably fall within it. Since I've been with them I've had no problems getting appointments (last one I rang at 8:15 and was able to get an appointment later that morning), do not have to go through telephone consultations in order to see a doctor, and have found their doctors to actually show a nice level of concern and empathy - something I never experienced in my 5 years with Melbourne Grove.

Thank you for the NHS choices suggestion, although already done it actually due to my irritation. Unfortunately we don't seem to have a huge choice of practices to move to as we're out of the catchment area of the recommended ones. Does anyone know much about the Hambledown clinic up at the top end of greendales?