Cyclists BEWARE - Sainsbury's Dulwich

AndrewFFF

Thanks for the responses. I've talked to the police locally and they are aware that it is a problem generally. I will be talking to the Store Manager directly. Yes, I contacted Head Office via phone and I will write to them.

Plus I'll contact the councillor that was mentioned.

One small point; what is OP?

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Most cyclists can barely carry a pint of milk and

> a couple of bananas. Sainsburys have no interest

> in them.

I use two big panniers and my rack to carry a hefty load of shopping on my bike. More than I could carry in bags on the bus. I see lots of other cyclist shoppers doing the same.

Thanks for the warning Andrew, and I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your bike and all the inconvience. I am appalled at the way some people have spoken to you on here, a place where its supposed to be supportive and informative, not vindictive. You've been through something rubbish and have done a good thing letting others know.

I too am a cyclist, I use my bike daily for commuting and errands so I would bereft if the same thing had happened to me. Insurance is a comfort, but in reality not a huge amount of help in the journey of replacing it, unless its a top of the range job! (and no, mine isn't either).

Thanks for being so proactive and I hope Sainsbury's do the simple, easy and helpful task of moving their CCTV even if it prevents a handful of bikes from being stolen, it's done some good.

Bx

Posted by StraferJack February 20, 04:44PM

" Sainsbury's were less than helpful " - why should they be? If you have your bike nicked from outside a shop on LL do you expect them to do anything? The council? Who?

"Anyone recommend where to take this" - where do you want to take it? You were robbed. Could happen anywhere. It's galling and upsetting but apart from your insurance that's it really.

"Sainsbury's don't give a toss about their cycling customers." - again, why should they? Do you honestly think when you park up in a supermarket car park you have entered some special crime-free zone?

Sainsury's exist to sell you things - if they sell you something dodgy then you can complain about them. The car park is an add-on perk you use at your own risk

But hey, you won't be the first to start your own special thread about you and Sainsbury's and you won't be the last

StraferJack sounds like manager at sainsbury. well then i would like to ask the manager at sainsbury that if i come and shit right outside the door , then would he clean it or not ???????

outside store or inside store the land is owned by the store, of course they should try to protect the property of the customer.

If someone bike is stolen from outside a shop on LL then the footpath is not owned by the shopkeeper. it is the responsibility of the council and the police to protect the property of the public.

and at last they have a security guard at the door to stop shoplifting, why they don't have guard to stop bike lifting.

And now Sainsury's are supposed to to something about rats in Dulwich?

Surrounded by housing, scrubland and building works - all fertile ground for rats. What did you expect the woman to do, jump up on the counter and shout "hayalp! hayalp!"

do you want them to have a solid wall of rat traps, 6 deep, around the perimeter of the sainsbury's property? Post monthly figures on how many caught?

of COURSE people will see rats in Sainsbury's car park! I'd be amazed if they didn't have numerous systems in place to protect the food storage areas of course

Now what?

That was nice and helpful StraferJack.

Shame to hear about your bike and thanks for making us aware. I cycle there on the odd occasion and lock it outside.

'The car park is an add-on perk you use at your own risk' - The car park is there to bring as must custom to the store as possible and to ensure people can do their entire weekly shop and put it in their car. Hardly an add-on perk and more a commercial decision from a Supermarket. CCTV in my opinion should be expected especially around the bike area otherwise this 'perk' will be less appreciated by Sainsbury's customers.

I used the 'contact us' form on their website to raise this issue. Had a call back from someone at Sainos telling me it was going to be raised with the 'area manager' for the store at his monthly review meeting. What comes of it, who knows, but might be worth a few more people trying to raise the issue with them centrally rather than telling people in store who doubtless have other things on their plate.

Cycling has surely gone past the issue of it being 'a few nutters' using them - provided you ignore the vocal minority on either send of the pro/anti cycling argument - the Boris Bikes and the modest beginnings of cycling infrastructure around London support that. To be the first supermarket to provide secure facilities for cyclists to use could be valuable, when you consider how many bikes you can fit into the space taken by one car. I wouldn't consider pointing a camera at the area, providing a few more racks and better lighting as prohibitively expensive against getting a few more people into the store.

I'm amazed by Sainsbury's attitude.

Whether people visit their shop by foot, bike, bus or car I doubt Sainsbury's wont to deter shoppers by making them feel insecure.

Repointing or adding a CCTV camera is trivial - I've just organised the latter at my day job.

When people were attacked in St.Francis Park that Sainsbury's is legally accountabel to maintain and were supposed to keep locked after sundown - they reintroduced part gate locking and we've not had any further reported incidents. So corporately they appear ot have some care.

Hi AndrewFFF,

If you want to increase the chance of Sainsbury's doing the decent thing for cyclists PM me for lcoal press contacts.

I too reported this and the recent cash machine thread to Sainsburys website through their 'contact us' email and got the following reply,

"Dear

?

Thanks for your email advising us of the thefts that have been taking place outside our Dog Kennel Hill store.

?

The safety of our customers and their belongings is very important to us.? We want you to be able to shop with complete confidence and peace of mind and we work hard to provide security and invest heavily in CCTV, uniformed guarding and a range of other measures.?

?

I?ve called the store and spoke to my colleague, Ian Haffenden, Deputy Manager at the store.? Ian advised that the security guards at the store patrol the car park as much as possible.? However, Ian will look in to your concerns further in order to see if they are able to have CCTV cameras facing on the bike racks in the future.?

?

Please be assured that we take complaints such as this very seriously and we will always try to ensure that our stores are a safe environment for our customers.

?

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and bringing this matter to our attention.? We hope to see you in store again soon.

?

?

Kind regards

?

Lorraine Douglas?| Customer Manager

Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd | 33 Holborn, London | EC1N 2HT

[email protected] | 0800 636 262

twitter.com/sainsburys?| facebook.com/"

?

?

I met Lorraine yesterday and she had no idea my back wheel was stollen or heard of other bike thefts. I'm putting my complaint in writing to their Store Manager and Head Office as there are communication problems instore. Also from my conversation with her, she has no authority to make changes.

James - PM to follow

Hi,

I was just in walking into Sainsbury's this evening and at the same time a poor guy holding his cut heavy duty bike chain on his way in to report his missing bike. He seemed unaware that this was currently a problem and said he had only been 5 minutes in the store.

Clearly this is an on going problem.

• 2 weeks later...