New to East Dulwich

I would never cycle the E&C - go through North Peckham to Old Kent Rd, then through the borough to Blackfriars - nice and easy and 20 mins tops! Really is a joy this route (apart from the old kent rd bit but that's only about 3 or 4 mins!)

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would never cycle the E&C - go through North

> Peckham to Old Kent Rd, then through the borough

> to Blackfriars - nice and easy and 20 mins tops!

> Really is a joy this route (apart from the old

> kent rd bit but that's only about 3 or 4 mins!)

ratty, could you give a bit more of a description of your route - this is exactly what I would like to do, but the couple of times I've tried, I've failed miserably to find a route that doesn't involve the E&C? In particular, would be really interested to know which bits of North Peckham and where do you come off the Old Kent Road to avoid the E&C but still get up to Blackfriars?

ED

bellenden rd

Peckham Hi st

Canal path

Across Burgess park

5 minutes of the OKR north of the tescos

a pootle thro' back streets of Bermondsey

London bridge

easy 25 minues flat ride with minimum chance of being mashed by a bus on the OKR - theres plenty of cyclists on this top part of the OKR, so safety in numbers for the dodgy bit

Try to avoid the lurching piss artistes beside the lake in Burgess park though - theyre deadly

Thanks both. At the risk of sounding like a complete girl - how is the cycle across Burgess Park? I would be cycling back around 8/9pm most evenings and Mr Siduhe would need some serious convincing about that bit (although looks pretty easy to cycle round if you don't mind the Old Kent Road for a bit longer...

You only cut across the eastermost bit for a few hundred metres - east of the lake

When its shut, there is a quiet road parallell to it that brings you past the football fields & sports centre to the end of the canal path.

make sure you have your kevlar body armour on of course

I take a similar route on my way to Primrose Hill from Bellenden but, instead of going along Lyndhurst Way and through Burgess Park, I head down the cycle path behind Peckham Library, which joins Trafalgar Ave. From there, I nip on to the OKR for a couple of minutes before coming off at the Bricklayers roundabout (there are cycle paths through the middle) and heading up Great Dover Street, then turning left into the lovely Trinity Street at the Roebuck Pub, as marked on the map above. It's a pretty nice ride.

Pedro Rey has it spot on for the route I used to take. It's very safe if you are only going to Blackfriars. I used to go on to Cov Garden and had to contend the IMAX roundabut which nearly ended my life a couple of times, but up to then this is a cracking route!!!