Lordship lane Co-op wants to open 23/7

EDITED to correct errors - those errors were based on emails sent directly to me but since amended. Sorry.

The Coop has applied to extend its current alcohol license and to opening close to 24/7. Selling allcohol for off premise sales 06:00-23:00 and "Late night refreshment - indoors" 23:00-05:00.

This is possible under the Licencesing Act 2003.

This seems like a bad idea. It's one thing having a small corner shop open 24/7 which is likely ot just serve locals and the odd passing trade. We fear the Coop being open 6am to 5am every day will become a night time destination and have formally objected.

But what do you think?

If you think it's a good or bad idea please do tell council officials before the 27 March deadline.

Email [email protected] and copy me [email protected]

We don't want such a potentially big decision affecting East Dulwich Night Time Economy to be taken without as much local input as possible.

The details on the online register of licensing applications are at: http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=840448

And some current ones already granted:

Sainsbury's Local 357-365 LL http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesGrantedDetails.asp?systemkey=839635

Sainsburys Dog Kennel Hill http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesGrantedDetails.asp?systemkey=831488

The latter includes a 24 hour licence for off-licence sales.

Great idea in my opinion. Would the 24/7 include Sundays?

Who is the "we" who have formally objected, James?

I have emailed my support.

The tiny increase in hours to sell alcohol seems neither here nor there really, unless you happen to be gagging for a drink at 6am .....

Thanks for that e-Dealer! - The thread title has been changed.

Sue, it would not include Sundays, by law a shop of that size can not open more than 6 hours on a Sunday.

I also think it's a good idea in principle, There seems to be a bizarre notion that only drunks and druggies come out at night, 'normal' people sometimes need an all night supermarket too!

Sainsbury's aren't open 24hours any more.

The 'we' is East Dulwich ward councillors. We think the area already has sufficient 24/7 corner stores. But a proper supermarket being open 24/7 could lead to it being a destination and parking issues. We think the residents around Lordship Lane deserve a break at least during the nights.

I don't think it would become a 'destination' or suffer parking issues any more than it does during the day currently would it ?

In which case why not ?!

As per Vik's note, I would not use it for alcohol (weak selection/too expensive - even for day time shopping) but may use it for groceries if I were cooking late at night, but it'd need to be well-stocked at that time, not loads of empty containers in the fruit/veg section.

The real question is just night-time opening.

The alcohol issue is a red herring: as Sue's pointed out, permission from 6am rather than 7am, and still only to 11pm at latest.

The applied-for late night refreshment licence to 05:00 would include, aiui, just hot food and drinks.

Could someone please clarify: if it were not for the late-night refreshment licence application, would any permission be needed for the 24/7 opening?

What does become a "destination" actually mean? As in we will get day trippers and tourists coming across London to visit our world famous 24/7 Co-Op? If there is an implication that this would be negative, could you elaborate please as to why?

I can't see why parking would be an issue. There would be less traffic around than is typical during the day so wouldnt be any worse, surely?

If people who live on or near Lordship Lane don't like the fact that there are shops and traffic nearby i.e. the downside of living near a busy main road/high street in a popolar suburb of one of the biggest and most vibrant city's in the world, they should consider moving to the country - or maybe Crystal Palace Road - personally I don't think that they can have the benefits of convenience without accepting everything that this brings.

I agree with James that the Coop would become a destination shop during those hours, being the only one of any size open in the near vicinity. It would also harm the trade of the local independent 24 hour shops. I don't live on Lordship Lane so it is unlikely to affect me, but if I did I would not be happy about it.

bubbachumps Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree with James that the Coop would become a

> destination shop during those hours, being the

> only one of any size open in the near vicinity.

xxxxxxx

But isn't that the whole point, that it is a reasonable size?

Places like Londis and CostCutter may be open 24/7, but they don't sell stuff that I'm likely to want.

So as far as I'm concerned, smaller shops would not be losing my trade to the Co-Op.

And the CostCutter nearest the Co-Op is licensed to sell alcohol past 11pm, so I don't see it losing much trade to the Co-Op in the evening.

Hi Neilson99,

I don't think it's fair to say people living in areas that were quiet when they moved there, and if pre Tessa Jowell licensing 2003 law it wasnt legally possible to have late night bars and pub let alone 24/7 alcolhol sale, should move if they're unhappy rather than objecting.

We want a stable long term community if we're to solve many of our local problems.

If you're in favour, please make sure you actually email the council to say so before the deadline!

James gives the email address in the first post on this thread.

Saying you want it on the forum isn't going to affect anything :)

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sainsbury's aren't open 24hours any more.

>

> The 'we' is East Dulwich ward councillors. We

> think the area already has sufficient 24/7 corner

> stores. But a proper supermarket being open 24/7

> could lead to it being a destination and parking

> issues. We think the residents around Lordship

> Lane deserve a break at least during the nights.

James - why do you use this forum if you decide what to do before taking anyone's views into account? I mean why bother, you seem to make up your own mind anyway. Again.