Council proposal for new housing block on Lordship Lane Estate

legalalien

Just seen this on nextdoor.

As I understand it Southwark were originally planning a three storey block but have now told residents there that the plan is for a six storey development.

See here

https://www.change.org/p/save-lordship-lane-estate?recruiter=376456640&recruited_by_id=36086460-555c-11e5-8202-c396c0ce3f5d&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=petition_dashboard

https://lordshiplane.commonplace.is/proposals/have-your-say-on-the-lordship-lane-estate

Not sure of all the background but thought folk might be interested. Copies of some correspondence etc with residents at https://www.southwark.gov.uk/housing/new-council-homes/where-we-re-building/dulwich-wood/lordship-lane-estate

But of course - squeeze in more people in already busy area, take away whatever little green space people have and add more noise (more people, more cars etc) - just because you can!

How about a six storey block on Court Lane instead? Or several?

sally buying Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is certainly a very large space that is

> Court Lane Gardens that a large housing unit could

> be built upon.

>

> What are the chances of this happening. Council

> housing in a gated community.

For a second I thought you were suggesting the so called "Dulwich Square" of shame

That could have been a fitting use of a now closed road 😱

ab29 Wrote:

> But of course - squeeze in more people in already

> busy area, take away whatever little green space

> people have and add more noise (more people, more

> cars etc) - just because you can!

>

> How about a six storey block on Court Lane

> instead? Or several?

Yes, let's just keep people in temporary accomodation instead

How about a six storey block on Court Lane instead? Or several?

redpost Wrote:

> ab29 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > But of course - squeeze in more people in

> already

> > busy area, take away whatever little green

> space

> > people have and add more noise (more people,

> more

> > cars etc) - just because you can!

> >

> > How about a six storey block on Court Lane

> > instead? Or several?

>

> Yes, let's just keep people in temporary

> accomodation instead

ab29 Wrote:

> How about a six storey block on Court Lane

> instead? Or several?

>

> redpost Wrote:

> -----

> > ab29 Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > But of course - squeeze in more people in

> > already

> > > busy area, take away whatever little green

> > space

> > > people have and add more noise (more people,

> > more

> > > cars etc) - just because you can!

> > >

> > > How about a six storey block on Court Lane

> > > instead? Or several?

> >

> > Yes, let's just keep people in temporary

> > accomodation instead

A developer would need 2+ neighbouring plots to put up a block of flats, unlikely to happen so court lane plots stay as houses

Why the fixation on court lane?

Where else is the council supposed to get the land from?

I agree that we need housing and if that means building on land currently used for garages, then good! I like the idea of low high-rise, or whatever the official term is. I like the 3 and 4-storey buildigns you see around, like on Walworth Road and even Lordship Lane. It seems sensible to build up another twenty feet than build out, though I do understand that such accommodation is not suitable for all.

It's a complex issue and one that is becoming more complex after the council's policy to sell off a lot of council sites to private property developers over the last 10 years or so (much of it because the running costs had become too high as buildings aged and fell into disrepair). Much of the re-development of Elephant and Castle has come at the cost of council homes so the council has to find new places to build homes to replace those lost.

redpost Wrote:

> ab29 Wrote:

> -----

> > How about a six storey block on Court Lane

> > instead? Or several?

> >

> Why the fixation on court lane?

It's part of the "Southwark is being ruined by a cabal of Court Lane-residing plutocrats and Bolshevik civil servants" conspiracy theory.

Moovart Wrote:

> Also difficult to get planning permission for a

> higher building than those adjacent.

>

> Lordship lane estate already has 6 storey blocks

The rear of the estate facing Dulwich Common has three blocks each which makes the proposed block a blot on the landscape.