coloured lights by the station

They were switched on last Wednesday and operate from dusk to midnight every day. I was given a sneak preview Wednesday morning.

They've replaced the original white up lighters installed around 2005 that previous councillors organised but which weren't maintainable and broke down quite quickly - 2006/7 from memory. I've been assured these ones will be maintained and should last some time.

If any artists have idea about pattern etc they can be reprogrammed for variety.

Hope people like them.

Perhaps the money would be better spent repairing the pavement opposite the Co-op.

That stretch of pavement is Lethal..

The pavement is comprised of Small square flags. which are all uneven and raised.

There is a serious trip hazard there.

I suppose if someone were to trip and break their hip Southwark Council might do something. ???

Maybe not.

Southwark Council.. Wasting your money..

Dulwichfox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Perhaps the money would be better spent repairing

> the pavement opposite the Co-op.

>

> That stretch of pavement is Lethal..

>

> The pavement is comprised of Small square flags.

> which are all uneven and raised.

>

> There is a serious trip hazard there.

>

Was this a F.M.Comway contract?

John K

James, thank you for identifying this item of our streetscape as warranting repair -- for moving the process of repair forward -- and for adding, with the colour!, a welcome bit of dash and fizz.

Of course other things in East Dulwich need done. (See above.) But that THIS thing has been done, and done well, is cause for congratulations to you and to your team.

I second Alex K's sentiments. Agree there are lots of other things that could be done but this is something that has been achieved so let's celebrate such a welcome addition to the station.

As with the Olympics and Jubilee events, many people said the money could have been spent on worthier things, but the fact the two occasions generated such good will, inspired so many and raised the country's sprits, it makes negative arguments against them spurious and irrelevant.

Looking at the bigger picture these lights are a positive talking point and look great! How many other stations can claim to have functional disco lights? Whereas who will be talking about the bit of pavement outside the Co-op when it gets fixed in years to come?

Good on you James. A big thanks from me.

Hi Odyssey,

They cost ?10,000. The money came from a devolved capital Cleaner Greener Safer annual budget decided by ward.

yes it is a aste of money in the sense that the original CGS scheme should have been better run/spent by prior councillors to Jonathan, Rosie and I. But we were where we were and decided the station is an important entrance point and needed fixing and cheering up.

the cycle lockers are the next problem there....unless you have any better ideas.

As for libraries. We're in the process of getting a new Grove Vale library for free as part of a Section 106 agreement I've spent a lot of time since 2005 trying ot make happen. It's due to delivery late 2014.Dulwic library is having a refit. So I'm not sure why you think they need more mone unless it's to fulfil my long term goal of expanding Dulwich libratry but ?10,000 wouldnt go very far towards that.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> my long term goal

> of expanding Dulwich libratry but ?10,000 wouldnt

> go very far towards that.

For another thread, but I'd like to hear more about this.

I would like to see the Southwark Local Studies Library moved out of a flood risk area.

John K

Speaking of uneven pavements, and this is directed at James, can we please get the pavement sorted outside numbers 16 - 6 Melbourne Grove. They have never been right since the works were done in the not too distant past, I have flagged this twice to the council and they are still unsightly and potentially dangerous. Appreciated!