How to Normalise Cycling in East Dulwich

Jakido

I don't drive or cycle. Weaving is fine but not if you cause the car behind you to brake as you weave across them. Jumping reds is never OK. If you're in a mixed zone, give way to the pedestrians.

And there really is no excuse to wear lycra or shave your legs if you're a bloke.

Chillaxed Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't drive or cycle. Weaving is fine but not

> if you cause the car behind you to brake as you

> weave across them. Jumping reds is never OK. If

> you're in a mixed zone, give way to the

> pedestrians.

>

> And there really is no excuse to wear lycra or

> shave your legs if you're a bloke.

This ( except I do cycle)

catfood Wrote:

> it is not illegal to 'weave' in and out of

> traffic, it's called filtering.

>

> cyclists ARE traffic.

Neither is it illegal to walk backwards down Oxford Street for instance . But it's still dickish and dangerous.

catfood Wrote:

> what a load of specious shit. try again.

Ok I'll try to break it down for you.

Just because something is not illegal does not render it sensible , responsible or safe.

Therefore pointing out the legality of this practice doesn't really advance matters.

It might indeed be described - to borrow an inelegant phrase - as "specious shit."

"Just because something is not illegal does not render it sensible , responsible or safe.

Therefore pointing out the legality of this practice doesn't really advance matters."

OK - so how about when something is illegal, but safe? Like going through a red light pedestrian crossing when there are no pedestrians?

As expected, this thread deteriorates into the same tired, pointless debate, where a bunch of the same people try and define the 'problem with cyclists'. The overwhelming problem with cyclists is that they still get run over and either killed or seriously injured by motor vehicles when (in many cases) it is avoidable. I am all in favour of encouraging anybody who gets on a bike to cycle safely and be considerate of other road users, and dealing very harshly with the thankfully small minority who put other people at risk (starting with the idiots who every morning ride like a bat out of hell down the Surrey Canal path despite it being pedestrian priority). But all this sh!t about compulsory insurance and registration is just that - sh!t. A stupid expensive solution for a problem that (in statistical terms) doesn't exist. A displacement activity for people who sit in their cars in traffic and get cross about it, and who are not quite loony enough to post on extremist anti-cyclist ranting sites.

catfood Wrote:

> it is not illegal to 'weave' in and out of traffic, it's called filtering.

True, but 'filtering' is just a name given to a certain form of overtaking. And, like all overtaking moves, if there is an accident you will usually (though not always) find the finger of blame pointed in your direction.

That Dutch roundabout scares me. I can't entirely believe that cars are going to pay a blind bit of notice to the zebra crossing for pedestrians/cyclists. I suspect it will end up being a slow route around the roundabout for bikes (if you have to stop to check that the cars are going to stop) at each exit/entry and non-novices will take the 'normal' route unless it's particularly narrow/busy.