Sunday Times best place to Live - Dulwich?

Laur

swissjoel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> East Dulwich is a DULL place to live. No soul, too

> many prams and white (upper) middle class

> wannabes.

You're sixteen years old and your parents have grounded you. No Shoreditch this weekend!

James Wrote:-------------------------------------------------------

> What is the evidence for this? Does the road have

> its own consciousness? And do you not know how to

> spell 'desperately'?

I'm guessing you probably live in Bellenden road. Why don't you go join a Peckham forum instead of despirately trying to be a part of ED.

mashcov Wrote:

> Gimme Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > swissjoel Wrote:

> >

> -n------------------------------------------------

>

> > ------

> > > East Dulwich is a DULL place to live. No

> soul,

> > too

> > > many prams and white (upper) middle class

> > > wannabes.

> >

> >

> > How do you become a middle class wannabe? I

> drive

> > a Toyota, bang on about house prices and insist

> on

> > the occasional Ocado delivery to liven up my

> dull

> > life of working in the City and dealing with

> young

> > kids.... Am I middle class or just a middle

> class

> > wannabe? And how could I tell one way or the

> > other?

> >

> > And you are probably right... ED is probably

> > boring for those who aren't middle class and /

> or

> > don't have a pram... Although I'd heard that

> there

> > is a right good laugh to be had at Bar Boho

> after

> > 11pm (can't validate that though as am usually

> in

> > bed)

> >

> > :-)

>

> I think you just proved his point. The way you

> describe your life, it does seem rather dull

>

> :-)

Irony bypass alert...!!!! Time for a strong coffee I think Mashcov...

numbers Wrote:

> Peckham was featured as THE place to live in the

> Telegraph's weekend magazine, to be honest, it

> looked more like they were just focussing on the

> Bellenden Road area.

In fairness, my flat nr Queens Rd Peckham station was also featured in the article :-)

you can absolutely rely on forumites to carp and complain about ward boundaries and such outrages as nice middle class ladies with babies.

but sue and I are are still delighted that we moved to east dulwich nearly 26 years ago and we intend never to move away.

just stop moaning and enjoy where you live.

Interestingly the S Times piece identifies its 'Dulwich' as SE22 - and clearly includes East Dulwich by name (and Lordship Lane shops) as part of its article - it's not (just) about Dulwich Village and 'central' Dulwich.

Mind you, it also praises Balham (for not being Clapham). So not wholly reliable.

HOW TO GET THE BEST OF THE CAPITAL -? WITHOUT THE URBAN HASSLE

BALHAM, London SW12 97 Once the punchline to a Peter Sellers joke, Balham is now desired, rather than ridiculed. Estate agents have dubbed it "the new Clapham", but in fact its main drag is positively civilised compared to raucous Clapham High Street. It offers chains and charity shops for the budget-conscious, as well as Waitrose, the independent Trinity Cafe and Deli, and a growing collection of boutiques. There's a French bistro, Gazette, and the hip Balham Bowls Club makes a stylish change from your average pub. A farmers' market is staged every Saturday. Tooting Bec Common, to the east, has woods, tennis courts and a lido. Over to the west is verdant Wandsworth Common, focal point for London's original "nappy valley", which has expanded to include Balham, giving property prices an upward shove.

Transport is another plus: Balham is on the Northern line, and its rail station offers speedy access to Victoria, as well as Gatwick and Brighton via Clapham Junction. Popular state primaries include Henry Cavendish and Ravenstone, but there are few state secondaries, apart from Chestnut Grove Academy, rated outstanding by Ofsted. Five-bedroom Victorian terraces near Wandsworth Common fetch between ?850,000 and ?1.3m. The Hyde Farm estate, east of Balham station, is a sea of tidy red-brick terraces. Two-bedroom flats typically cost ?400,000, houses ?750,000. What the locals say We're on the up: the shops used to sell things you needed, now they're full of things you want. Why we love it It's well connected, every corner is near a common ? and it's not Clapham.

CHISWICK, London W4 98 Chiswick, in west London, is a family oasis par excellence, with a busy high street ? dominated by mums and prams ? a villagey feel, plenty of green patches (including Chiswick House and Gardens, and Duke's Meadows) and an elegant riverside walk. Good state primary schools, upmarket eateries and an impressive mix of architecture heighten the appeal. Chiswick is served by four Tube and two rail stations; the M4 offers fast access to Heathrow and the West Country.

The dream location is Bedford Park, a conservation area that was London's first garden suburb. Its streets are lined with trees and Arts and Craftsy houses; sizes and styles vary, from terraces (?600,000-?800,000) to large family homes (?2m-?4m). Your money will go further in the roads north of Chiswick Park Tube station, which border less salubrious Acton.

What the locals say The wider streets south of the High Road offer better parking for my 4x4.

Why we love it You always bump into somebody you know on the high street ? if you're lucky, it'll be Colin Firth.

DULWICH, London SE22 99 Dulwich is a leafy, genteel haven amid the mean streets of south London. Indeed, Dulwich Village is almost too quaint for the Big Smoke ? it has old-fashioned timber street signs, a tollgate and a 72-acre park, all managed to perfection by the Dulwich Estate. The park is the stuff of Middle England fantasies, with a boating lake, a bowling green, tennis courts and a cricket pitch; the Dulwich Picture Gallery and its elegant cafe increase the sense of refinement. The high street has an Italian deli, but Lordship Lane is the real shopping hub, with a fishmonger (Moxon's), a butcher (William Rose), a greengrocer (Franklin's Farm Shop) and an artisanal bakery (Luca's), as well as a Sainsbury's and a library.

There's no Tube, but there are trains to Victoria and London Bridge. And the schools make up for it: in addition to venerable private institutions such as Dulwich College and James Allen's Girls' School, there are good state primaries (Hamlet, Dulwich Infant, Goodrich, Heber) and secondaries (Charter, Harris Academies).

Three-bedroom period homes start at about ?750,000; a large semi backing onto the park might go for ?2.5m. For the best value, look in East Dulwich, where a typical four-bedroom house costs ?630,000.

What the locals say Our white picket fence needs a coat of paint, but we're waiting for permission from the Dulwich Estate.

Why we love it It's the closest thing to country life in south London. Where are your wellies? MUSWELL HILL, London N10 100 Hampstead and Highgate may be the fantasy north London destinations, but Muswell Hill is the practical reality for middle-class families, thanks to its excellent state schools and (relatively) affordable homes. There's ample housing stock ? from large red-brick Victorian terraces to 1920s semis and detached homes ? and lots of greenery, from Fortis Green and Highgate to Queens Woods and Alexandra Park. The bustling Broadway has smart chains (M&S, Waitrose), good independents (Toff's fishmonger, W Martyn's tea and coffee shop) and an art deco Odeon cinema; nearby, you'll find a butcher and a bookshop. If you can hack it, the Brent Cross shopping centre is nearby.

There isn't a Tube station, but the 10-minute bus ride to Highgate is worth putting up with to avoid paying ruinous school fees. The state primaries ? Tetherdown, Coldfall and Rhodes Avenue ? are big draws, and the area has two "outstanding" secondaries, Fortismere and Alexandra Park.

The most sought-after area is near Fortis Green, where four-bedroom Edwardian terraces change hands for ?1.3m. Five-bedroom semis and detached homes in the Ringwood Estate sell for ?1.5m-?3m. You get more for your money north of Alexandra Park and near Coldfall Wood; you can also buy 1960s ex-local-authority properties for ?375,000-?500,000. What the locals say If we extend our house by 10 feet, will that get us into the catchment area for Fortismere? Why we love it Remember when you didn't have to take out a loan to educate your children ? and they could walk to a good local school? RICHMOND, London TW10 101 This southwest London suburb has it all: the architecture (most of the town is a conservation area), the natural beauty (the 2,500-acre Richmond Park, the Thames), the schools (good state and private; 85% of its state pupils are in schools ranked good or outstanding by Ofsted). There's a village atmosphere, particularly around Richmond Green, with its quaint, narrow streets and characterful shops; Richmond Hill has a butcher, a baker, a grocer, a wine shop and a deli. For such a countrified place, the transport connections are excellent: it has the Tube and it's only 20 minutes to Waterloo. The bad news? It's expensive. Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian detached homes in Richmond Hill start at ?3.5m. Cross the bridge to East Twickenham, still within walking distance of the town, and four-bed terraces go for less than ?1m. What the locals say Follow a famous face such as Jerry Hall or Keira Knightley, and watch the expressions of people coming the other way.

Why we love it With the park and the river, it's like living in a landscape painting ? accompanied by plane noise.

LONDON ? London's GDP is significantly larger than that of several European countries, including Belgium, Sweden and Switzerland ? The average price of a home in the capital is set to top ?500,000 by the end of the decade ? More than 300 languages are spoken in London, from Arabic to Urdu

There's a village atmosphere, with narrow streets and characterful shops, including a butcher, a baker, a grocer, a wine shop and a deli RICHMOND, TW10