Knife/Gun/Weapon scanner @ ED Station tonight

jamesb

Indeed KK, but it was still for those coming in to ED.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it was just on route up to LB not those

> coming home, maybe police had heard of something

> going down with people from ED.

I passed the aftermath of the incident at London Bridge at around 9.30pm last night, and by that stage there was just a guy with a broken nose sitting in a cordoned off area surrounded by a large number of police officers in bullet proof vests... So it looked more like the aftermath of a brawl, but difficult to say...

It's a matter of intent - I have not infrequently found myself with a pen knife (or pruning knife) in my pocket having gone straight from the garden out shopping - I have no intent to use the knife as a weapon but, if scanned, I would be found with a knife in my pocket. There are many objects, carried entirely innocently, which could be used as, or seen as, weapons. A society which routinely scans individuals for weapons without considering intent creates an unnecessary climate of fear - and this sort of action encourages the police to move from a civilian force, policing with consent, to 'guardians' of the state.

Once police become 'them; and not 'us' (they would see the public as 'them' and the police as 'us' of course) we get the possibility that they will act in concert to lie about and bring down a minister of a government they don't like (allegedly). Or fit-up people they are 'sure' are criminals, but just don't have the evidence to hand.

Power to the people, yes possibly, but not to the police. Random, mindless, searches without cause, leading to random, mindless, arrests without proven intent - that's what this sort of action tends towards. And that's why the 'if you've got nothing to hide' brigade are honest fools who pave the way to an oppressive state.

Alledgely most of the arrests are made are of the people seen to turn around and walk away from the scanner. It could be for all manner of reasons but I guess it isn't a for a good reason - maybe fear of being caught or maybe they got off at the wrong stop ?!?. The scanner doesn't even have to be switched on to be effective - it could even be a blow up one or covered in fake grass and little plastic daffodils.

Funny business, isn't it, this impermissibility of knives? The other day I overslept and took, as my lunch, two slices of bread and not a container of properly assembled ham salad but instead, grabbed from the fridge on the run toward the door, the hambone on which the scraps were that SHOULD have bone into that p.a.h.s. And a knife to let me carve those scraps from the bone when lunchtime approached. I suppose that on the way to or from work I could have been scanned, and asked to re-think my plans for the morning or afternoon, and been invited to assist the police with their enquiries. At least on the way toward work I could have brandished the exculpatory hambone.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

A society which routinely

> scans individuals for weapons without considering

> intent creates an unnecessary climate of fear-

What a load of liberal tosh! The silent majority would put up with searches every day of the week so long as it helps reduce stabbings and othe crimes committed with weapons.

I would guess that your ilk would also side with the judges that keep Abu Qatada in our country rather than send him back to where he came from.

GG

The law though permits knives up to a certail length (3 inches I think) and these detectors are aimed at specific things/ groups to be fair. Anyone carrying anything illegal will be caught and target groups, for example teens on their way to/from school have no vaild reason to be carrying knives either, whereas a scout on his/her way back from camp would. The Police are not looking to confiscate every piece of metal that passes before them, but to identify those who may in possession of such items who pose a danger. The other thing too is that if stopped, the police then have the power to run a check and you'd be suprised how many people (just as when they do ANPR checks) on bail, probation or with previous related convictions make up those stopped.