Luvvies in SE London

malumbu

I love slagging off the Grauniad for lazy journalism and using their home land for easy material. I tell everyone that East Dulwich, Forest Hill, Nunhead, Brockley etc are full of Guardian journos, actors and luvvies. I can list a few actors and comediens, but journos? Lucy Mangan was in Catford - others?

There's plenty of journalists living locally who don't write for the Guardian. There's plenty who would if they could get a piece in there. It's a very glib assertion to make that all journalists, comedians and actors write or read the Guardian. There's loads living around here that don't. There's loads that do who are politically conservative as well. There's plenty of lazy journalism in the Guardian - there's heaps in other papers and journals. Journalism isn't academic writing. In general terms, academic work would propound a thesis based on extensive research of prime material, collating facts, marshalling these into coherent themes and presenting conclusions with reference to evidence. Journalism tends to have an idea and looks around for the facts to fit this. This is just what journalism is. 90% of what is written would appear to be lazy journalism in the Guardian, as it would in any paper.

That said, I do read the Guardian. It's just more interesting.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You want us to name and provide address details

> for journalists in South East London so you can

> publicly humiliate them?

Isn't that what a lot of so-called journalists do for a living, regardless of their politics?

Keep this in mind the next time you are about to repeat a rumour or

spread gossip.

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom.

One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates,

do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before you tell me I'd like you to

pass a little test.

It's called the Triple Filter Test."

'Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance.

"That's right," Socrates continued, "Before you talk to me about

Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "Actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell

me about Diogenes something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued, "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of Usefulness. Is

what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me or anyone at all?"

The man was bewildered and ashamed. This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why Socrates never found out that Diogenes was shagging his wife.

For christ sakes get off your high horses with you.

It was a playful thread. I read the Guardo sometimes and I sense that some of the material is drawn from around here. People tell me that's where a lot of the journos .

If I am particularly bothered by an article I actually write to them. Once in a blue moon I even get a letter published.

I also knew that artists and actors also live here, which often means that an area tends towards the intellectual left. But I am sure that this isn't a rule and I am sure someone will write me a thesis on it.

Mind you I like the above post.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love slagging off the Grauniad for lazy

> journalism and using their home land for easy

> material. I tell everyone that East Dulwich,

> Forest Hill, Nunhead, Brockley etc are full of

> Guardian journos, actors and luvvies. I can list

> a few actors and comediens, but journos? Lucy

> Mangan was in Catford - others?

You missed out Deptford Bit unfair

Foxy