Noisy neighbours!

A common issue I'm sure, but noisy neighbours... what can you do?

We're on Lacon Road and last night (and this isn't the first) our delightful neighbours decided to have an impromptu get together that started at 0030 and finished at 0830 this morning! The joy.

Tried knocking on the door to no avail, what's the best course of action? Report to council? Police? Landlord?

If it was a one off it'd be fair enough but this seems to happen again and again!

Aide moi!

you could try and drop them a letter outlining your concerns, though I'd try and talk to them after the bank holiday as no doubt they will be on a come down today. I find my amp complete with skrillex to be highly effective in the morning. or you could take apart a microwave and aim the beam at their sound system in an attempt to over load the amplifier (will cause long term health issues but so does drinking until 0830 in the morning).

We tried the polite letter through the door when our neighbours had this type of 'event' on work nights. We got an equally polite reply saying they could make as much noise as they liked and mysteriously there was some minor vandalism to our car at the same time. We knew that the loudness would not be deemed 'nuisance' by the council so we rearranged our rooms so that a bedroom was not on the party wall (they could have moved their stereo as the houses are semi-detached).

I get the distinct impression that some people are bloody-minded and the more you let on that they irritate you, the more they pile it on.

If they do it outside of a public holiday and after 11pm, call the noise team. They'll need to enter your home to assess the noise and if they deem it a nuisance, they will issue a warning and/or a noise abatement order on the spot. It falls under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Always best to try and talk to them first of course but if they respond negatively, you have other options. Noise late at night from a party is the easiest to deal with legislatively and Southwark Council do have the powers necessary to address this issue if it goes on. These organisations also very helpful if the council drag their feet or make excuses:

http://noiseabatementsociety.com/

http://www.noisedirect.co.uk/

Hope it goes away by itself but if not, you have options.

Got a similar problem.

The neighbours are noisy, stomping about late at night (family of six!) At first they were apologetic but they didn't try to be quieter thus we kept on asking them to be quieter. Think they're annoyed at us now - at loggerheads... What can you do but move? Some people are pig-headed and inconsiderate. I always think about Sartre's quote: "Hell is other people"

A shame if they have cut the service but as long as you phone it in and get a reference it stays on record. You should keep a diary of when it happens, add the Southwark reference to each instalment, state the time it started and duration, description of the noise and most importantly how it affected you/your family. The Safer Neighbourhood Team can give you a special booklet for this if you ask them or you can just write one. You can then apply to the court by serving a section 82 notice, it gives them a time-frame within which to cease the noise but if they breach it, you go to court. You don't need a solicitor, it's straightforward and designed for the lay-person. You do have to show evidence of it going on for more than 3 months though and affecting your home-life.

Sadly more and more people are having to take this route, we did it and used the support of Noise Direct, paid them a one off fee and they were very helpful and reassuring. Obviously it has to be bad for you to want to take it this far. Helps to have neighbours testimony too.

Moving is often the easier option, but what if you don't want to move or can't? It's sad that this is such a widespread problem really.

Reporting noise problems

If you have a noise issue, below is the information from the Southwark Website. You can report a noise disturbance 24/7. The noise team are operational until 2.30am Sunday to Thursday and 4am Friday and Saturday.

Renata

Reporting Disturbances

If you are being disturbed by noise, call the 24 hour hotline on 020 7525 5777 to report the problem.

We do not recommend you approach the noise offender, but in some cases you may be asked to keep a noise diary that may be used as evidence.

Who deals with noise and nuisance complaints?

The Southwark noise and nuisance team deals with all noise complaints, as well as other nuisances such as smells, dust, fumes and light.

The service is available between the following hours:

Day From To

Monday 7am 2.30am next day

Tuesday 7am 2.30am next day

Wednesday 7am 2.30am next day

Thursday 7am 2.30am next day

Friday 7am to 5pm 6.30pm to 4am

Saturday 7am to 5pm 6.30pm to 4am

Sunday 8am 2.30am

We work seven days a week and will aim to be with you in 60 minutes. This may vary due to seasonal demands. Please check the availability of the service at the time of your call. Please note there will be no service on Christmas Day.

Nuisances we can deal with

We can deal with:

Amplified music

TV

Parties

Nightclubs and pubs including people outside making noise

DIY home renovation

Construction sites

Barking dogs

Alarms

Odours and fumes from commercial properties

Smoke

Emissions and noise from works and equipment in the street

We can't deal with:

Traffic, trains and planes

Some domestic noises

Footsteps within homes

After reporting a disturbance

Officers will quickly call you back to check that the noise is still happening and to get more details from you

If the noise is still on officers will need to visit your property (carrying ID badges) to assess the noise

If the noise is a nuisance they will take action against the person causing the noise in order to stop the disturbance

Officers visiting your home

We need to show that the nuisance is disturbing you in your property and preventing what you would normally do. For example, we need to show that at night the noise would prevent the average person from sleeping.

What is a nuisance?

A nuisance is something that would prevent the average person being able to use their property for a normal use at that time of day.

For example, at night for something to be a nuisance it would need to prevent someone from sleeping, therefore the assessment would be carried out in a bedroom.

In the daytime, the assessment would be carried out in a living room, and we would need to show that the noise is so loud that it would prevent someone from watching TV or having a conversation.

What action can be taken

If something is assessed as a nuisance, we can:

Try to stop the nuisance and issue a warning if they do (first time only)

Serve a notice

Issue a fixed penalty if the notice is breached

Prosecute if the notice is breached

Seize equipment if the notice is breached (usually for ongoing complaints)

Confidentiality

All complaints are completely confidential. Even, if the person is prosecuted, it is the council that takes them to court because as an officer as witnessed the nuisance. They will not find out who has complained.

Legislation

We use the Environmental Protection Act 1990 sections 79 and 80 to deal with nuisance and the Control of Pollution Act 1974 to deal with construction sites.

What happens if the noise is not something that the council can deal with

If the noise is something that the council cannot deal with, such as footsteps, you can take your own action under s82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Please contact us for more details about this.

Why can't you take action for people noise and footsteps?

The laws that we use do not allow us to serve notices on people for carrying out normal activities in their homes, or for poor sound insulation.

More information

You can contact us with any questions that you might have on the number above

You can ask your community council or Tenants and Residents Association to invite an officer to your next meeting so that they can answer your questions

youandiaredominoes Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Got a similar problem.

>

> The neighbours are noisy, stomping about late at

> night (family of six!) At first they were

> apologetic but they didn't try to be quieter thus

> we kept on asking them to be quieter. Think

> they're annoyed at us now - at loggerheads... What

> can you do but move? Some people are pig-headed

> and inconsiderate. I always think about Sartre's

> quote: "Hell is other people"

Xxxxxxxx

Unfortunately in houses with adjoining walls you will always hear your neighbours - stomping, screaming, rowing, playing music, TV, whatever people do.

If you keep different hours to them then that makes the situation worse on both sides.

Live and let live or move to a detached house out of earshot is the answer I think.

Normal noises of living in a house are a bit different from major disturbance all night!

ETA: And if children are involved then clearly you have to expect more noise. It's unreasonable to expect them not to run about or cry in their own house!

Manda Wrote:

> Sue,

>

> I don't think anyone is suggesting that, read the

> posts again.

>

> Amanda

Xxx

Sorry if I'm dim but I don't understand, sorry.

The post I'm commenting on is quoted at the start of mine.

It's complaining of a family of six 'stomping around' late at night despite being asked to be quieter. It said this was a similar problem to the OP's issues with neighbours having all-night parties.

My reference to children was because I assumed a family of six included children, which may of course be wrong, but I

stand by my general point.

How have I misunderstood it? If I have, then of course I apologise.

"It's unreasonable to expect them not to run about or cry in their own house!"

No one wrote it wasn't.

If stomping is going on late at night one would assume it is the adults. The children are probably awoken also which compounds the issue further.

The key is to keep a noise diary and engage Southwarks Noise Team. Renata kindly provided a cut and paste of the Southwark Noise page which explains what noise officers expect from residents to avoid their involvement:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/412/noise_problems/377/be_a_considerate_neighbour

"

Be a considerate neighbour

Advice on how to keep your noise levels low at home

Remember that neighbours sharing party walls, floors and ceilings tend to be worst affected by noise, and that noise can cause problems depending on:

?how loud it is

?how long it lasts

?how often it occurs

?the time of day it happens.

Late night party goers

?If you're having a party or barbecue, remember to warn your neighbours in advance and tell them what time it will finish.

?Keep the music turned down low and don't stand outside on balconies or in gardens late at night.

?Ask your guests to go home quietly.

Noise outside

?Don't operate noisy appliances or equipment such as lawn mowers or power tools late at night or early in the morning.

?If you're playing music outside, try to keep it at a level that cannot be heard outside your boundary.

?Make sure your children don't cause too much noise, especially by kicking balls against the neighbour's walls.

?If you have a marquee, remember that it has no sound insulation and all the noise you make inside will be heard outside.

Radios, stereos, TVs and musical instruments

?Keep the volume as low as possible and if you have bass control on your stereo make sure it's turned right down.

?Late at night you should use headphones or listen to music on a personal stereo.

?If you play a musical instrument avoid practicing early in the morning or late evening/night.

?If the instrument has an amplifier, turn the volume down or preferably use headphones.

Household repairs and improvements

?Let your neighbours know beforehand if you are carrying out potentially noisy operations, using power tools or working on party walls or floors.

?Carry out noisy operations during the day keeping the evening for less noisy work such as painting and decorating.

?Don't leave DIY equipment running - switch it off when not being used.

?Remember that hired equipment, e.g. mixers, generators are often more powerful and noisier than DIY versions.

?Use hand tools wherever possible and complete the work as quickly as you can.

Domestic appliances

?Noisy appliances such as washing machines, spin dryers, freezers and fridges should not be situated next to party walls.

?Washing machines and spin dryers should stand on a solid floor or placed on a carpet or rubber mat to reduce vibration.

?Don't operate noisy appliances late at night or early in the morning.

Vehicles and repairs

?Try to do noisy repairs during the day (avoid Sundays) and if possible carry out work in a garage.

?Don't rev the engine excessively and keep in-car music levels down and the windows closed.

?Remember to close doors quietly and use horns only in emergencies.

Dogs

?Don't let your dog bark or whine for long periods or leave it alone.

?If your dog barks constantly when left alone or disturbed keep it indoors.

?If your dog still barks when indoors make arrangements to leave it with a neighbour or friend or get someone to call in.

?Leave its' favourite toy or put the radio on at a very low volume.

?If it's a real problem consult your vet for advice about training.

"

I'm glad this post mentioned noise outside as last summer I was driven mad in my garden last year, by thumping music and I am hoping the noise team will deal with that as well (though I am hoping even more that it doesn't happen again this summer)

• 2 weeks later...

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> Reporting noise problems

>

> If you have a noise issue, below is the

> information from the Southwark Website. You can

> report a noise disturbance 24/7. The noise team

> are operational until 2.30am Sunday to Thursday

> and 4am Friday and Saturday.

> Renata

Renata

Could you clarify if the noise team do actually deal with people noise outside premises as I have been told by the noise team that they they do not and that it is a Police matter.

Thanks

>

> Reporting Disturbances

>

> If you are being disturbed by noise, call the 24

> hour hotline on 020 7525 5777 to report the

> problem.

> We do not recommend you approach the noise

> offender, but in some cases you may be asked to

> keep a noise diary that may be used as evidence.

>

> Who deals with noise and nuisance complaints?

> The Southwark noise and nuisance team deals with

> all noise complaints, as well as other nuisances

> such as smells, dust, fumes and light.

> The service is available between the following

> hours:

> Day From To

> Monday 7am 2.30am next day

> Tuesday 7am 2.30am next day

> Wednesday 7am 2.30am next day

> Thursday 7am 2.30am next day

> Friday 7am to 5pm 6.30pm to 4am

> Saturday 7am to 5pm 6.30pm to 4am

> Sunday 8am 2.30am

>

> We work seven days a week and will aim to be with

> you in 60 minutes. This may vary due to seasonal

> demands. Please check the availability of the

> service at the time of your call. Please note

> there will be no service on Christmas Day.

>

> Nuisances we can deal with

>

> We can deal with:

> Amplified music

> TV

> Parties

> Nightclubs and pubs including people outside

> making noise

> DIY home renovation

> Construction sites

> Barking dogs

> Alarms

> Odours and fumes from commercial properties

> Smoke

> Emissions and noise from works and equipment in

> the street

>

> We can't deal with:

> Traffic, trains and planes

> Some domestic noises

> Footsteps within homes

>

> After reporting a disturbance

> Officers will quickly call you back to check that

> the noise is still happening and to get more

> details from you

> If the noise is still on officers will need to

> visit your property (carrying ID badges) to assess

> the noise

> If the noise is a nuisance they will take action

> against the person causing the noise in order to

> stop the disturbance

>

> Officers visiting your home

> We need to show that the nuisance is disturbing

> you in your property and preventing what you would

> normally do. For example, we need to show that at

> night the noise would prevent the average person

> from sleeping.

>

> What is a nuisance?

> A nuisance is something that would prevent the

> average person being able to use their property

> for a normal use at that time of day.

> For example, at night for something to be a

> nuisance it would need to prevent someone from

> sleeping, therefore the assessment would be

> carried out in a bedroom.

> In the daytime, the assessment would be carried

> out in a living room, and we would need to show

> that the noise is so loud that it would prevent

> someone from watching TV or having a conversation.

>

> What action can be taken

>

> If something is assessed as a nuisance, we can:

> Try to stop the nuisance and issue a warning if

> they do (first time only)

> Serve a notice

> Issue a fixed penalty if the notice is breached

> Prosecute if the notice is breached

> Seize equipment if the notice is breached (usually

> for ongoing complaints)

>