Southwark Primary School Admissions for Sept 2013

Have now read the ofsted and basically looks like the staff are teaching the children well from a below average base...I guess the question I would want to ask the head is how they are/would support the higher achieving pupils. If they don't have a plan then I agree I would be worried but a 'good' school should focus on each child and develop each one..(that's my definition of good not the official one!)....Also the low level disruption would worry me - would want to see that that that had gone a year after the ofsted report....but I do think it is these schools that are on the tipping point that can be the most exciting as there is no complacency. The school should also be well funded with the pupil premium scheme. Like the idea that it is a smaller than average school too. Anyway....just find it all very interesting....

Yeah, the new head said at an open evening that the teacher responsible for those maths results has since left the school! They're also considering putting the older kids into sets for subjects like maths, which is a good idea, I think.

No-one can ever give me a immediate answer at Southwark. Are there parents that reject places and NEVER get another place anywhere? Can this happen? Everyone seems to be avoiding giving me an answer to that query.

Just emailed southwark for my wait times again, emailing fortnightly for updates. Pinning hopes on Bessemer as we are just within the top 15 there. Our other wait times look like Horniman 35, Goodrich 40, Eliot Bank 50, Heber 65, Fairlawn 79 and no figure for DV due to them updating but 51 there the last I knew.

How is everyone else in the grey area getting on?

Think I will be calling Bessemer today to try and get a feel for if/when/how quickly we can get in there with our position.. Got to be some hope

We seem to be slowly edging away from a place in Goodrich. I am trying to get clarification from the admissions team to whether those children who are going down the independent route and have rejected a place are now being reflected in the waiting lists.

Just to add something re: Judith Kerr, for the parents asking about movement on waiting lists, the site of the school still hasn't been announced, so there are probably a lot of reception places hanging in the balance at the moment (50, plus some year one and two). That could add up to a lot of late rejections of places in other schools in the coming months. As I said in another post, not really the parents' faults (and not really JKP's either - they're still embargoed re. disclosure of the location), but this is something to be aware of.

Hi Gina, you have no guarantee of a place being offered to you from a waiting list. You can go up or down or stay in the same position on the waiting list.

Ryekids, yes people who have rejected a place due to an alternative eg independent place, would have already impacted on the waiting list. If families move into the area and live closer than you, or take up places at the school for older siblings or get re-characterised under Social/medical need, this will cause you to drop down the waiting list.

If you have been allocated a school that is too far from you, please add your name to the lists of other schools in the area. If you get a place at another school that you didn't originally apply to, you still remain on the waiting list of those you initially applied to.

Renata

At the moment parents of children with offers to Judith Kerr would be very silly not to hang onto other school places offered. Different area, different school, but International Academy of Greenwich announced last week they are deferring opening their new free school, problems with the site apparently...

http://www.iaog.org.uk/blog/announcement-opening-deferred-until-september-2014

Re ate, as I understood it people, who are going down the independent route are under no obligation at all to officially decline their offer so those with places outside the central system can still hold onto places at community schools for as long as they please. Is that not the case then?

I have a friend who has accepted a place at Langbourne and is very happy with her choice. If you are focused on results, then perhaps not the school for you - but a new head, great facilities and look at all those clubs - it's even got a chess club! My advice would be to go and visit and canvas some opinions for parents with children already at the school rather than listening to some contributors to the forum who have probably never set foot inside the school gates......we were in a similar situation a few years ago when we accepted a place at Goose Green so I know what a bunch of willing parents and a new head can do to improve a school. And I also know that being part of that change is the most uplifting experience I have ever had! Just a thought.

I'd agree not to write Langbourne off. My eldest started school (goodrich)in 2009, when there were lots of very disappointed parents, even after the first bulge classes were decided 3 weeks before the start of term. Everything being said about Langbourne now was being said about Bessemer and Goose Green then, and I know a lot of parents were in tears. None of us had even heard of Bessemer until the allocations were made! Both are now among the best schools in the area.

With a new head, new investment in buildings and a new influx of commited East Dulwich parents, I fully expect people to be fighting to get into Langbourne in a few years.

Hi Number 2, yes parents can and sometimes do hold onto school places until September. It is not uncommon for eg 2 children not to turn up for start of primary.

Re Goosemum's post- to add, parents of 4year olds should remember that it will be 7 years before their child sits SATs!

Renata

Hi kamath,

Not sure what you mean?

Hi Renata,

I thought children will going forward be assessed against stages before 11yo. Year 2 KS2 teachers will assess work. Will be interesting to see if schools make the oversall data freely available rather than relying upon 7 years of faith from families.

Horniman Primary also run Forest Schools on site. The kids go and do lessons outside (rain or shine!) and make fires/toast marshmallows/have hot chocolate once a week. They also go on trips to other local woods too e.g. Sydenham for lessons/treasure hunts.