Post not being delivered by Royal Mail

gazzam

We received 5 Christmas cards yesterday. All in damaged/wet envelopes with boot prints all over them. Prior to that we got two about two weeks before Christmas. It was the same last year and the year before. I honestly can't believe that we just have to put up with this in SE22.

If parcels are being prioritised why are tracked parcels not being delivered on time....one tracked parcel sent 28 November arrived on 22 Dec. One 24 hr tracked parcel sent 21 Dec still hasn't arrived.

Royal mail are charging for a service they just can't deliver.

I thought it was all about competing for the parcel delivery market but now I'm wondering if it's about a service so bad it collapses and royal mail can do a big property sell off and walk away.

I had a load of Christmas cards yesterday, (including one which normally arrives in November 😂) two packages and some financial stuff.

Haven't had a Private Eye for weeks, though. Bit pointless subscribing when it's so out of date when it arrives (if it ever does).

No post for two weeks over the hill (Forest Hill sorting office) - desparately waiting for important mail.

I send out several 2nd class items every day which are second class tracked. They are getting delivery quickly. Some even arrive next day, which is amazing.

RM are prioritising tracked items as the sender can claim compensation in some cases after 10 working days.

Things like Christmas cards have no priority whatsoever so are taking 3 to 4 weeks to get delivered. Plus a lot depends on the local delivery office. The Peckham D.O. is a disaster area.

If it's important, send it tracked

No post for two weeks over the hill (Forest Hill sorting office) - desparately waiting for important mail.

I send out several 2nd class items every day which are second class tracked. They are getting delivery quickly. Some even arrive next day, which is amazing.

RM are prioritising tracked items as the sender can claim compensation in some cases after 10 working days.

Things like Christmas cards have no priority whatsoever so are taking 3 to 4 weeks to get delivered. Plus a lot depends on the local delivery office. The Peckham D.O. is a disaster area.

Not true. My tracked parcels took 2-3weeks to arrive. £5.65 for one book sent to me tracked first class but only as tracked at delivery. Tracking at 24/48hrs is even more expensive and we shouldn't have to pay that.

Sending post out of SE22 doesn't seem to be a problem. It's the post coming into SE22.

In my case all parcels were stuck in the Croydon sorting centre when I rang to enquire.

As already said, it's items coming INTO East Dulwich which are the problem, including tracked items.

My 24 hour tracked medication finally arrived, but in the meantime I had to get another prescription from my GP and collect it from the pharmacy, so now I have two lots 🙄

Yesterday I got the Private Eye from the beginning of December 🙄

Other areas of the country are also having problems. A friend's sister works as a postie in Northampton, and apparently they can't even get into the sorting office because of the mountains of unsorted post.

I have had woeful service since before Christmas but it has reached new heights.

Also expecting two extremely important items of mail. A relative expecting the same but who lives elsewhere has received theirs.

This is one indication that the problem is not nationwide and that a level of service has been maintained elsewhere, despite strikes.

My own perspective is that major problems followed the closure of Sylvester Road. Does anyone know what the issue is at Peckham and whether anything is being done to sort things out?

Letters sent out seem to arrive it is incoming mail that is the problem and this all does seem to point to an issue with Peckham sorting office.

It seems probable the Peckham sorting office is too small for both areas and too far from ED...

Also seems probable then that SE22 post will be broken until infrastructure is built to replace what was sold off, could take a while..?

Hard for us to say exactly, only people that work for RM will know.

Oh well, at least some people made a killing out of selling the property off...

I missed a tracked delivery on 24th December. It was supposed to be delivered the day before when we were in. I just went to collect it from Peckham sorting office but they said it’s at Southwark office but I can’t collect it from there. I also can’t rebook another delivery. Has anyone else had this and if so did it eventually turn up or is it lost forever? ☹️

New low; they have failed to redirect our mail from our old SE22 address to our new SE22 address for the last 3 months. Despite paying £79 for the service no refund has been offered. Our estate agent has been doing the job for them.

I've complained three times and written to Helen Hays twice. I'm not sure what else to do.

Was Helen Hayes, a planning consultant, still a Councillor when Southwark granted planning permission to convert the old ED sorting office into luxury flats?

I don’t see your point. Royal Mail had already sold the old sorting office and it was owned privately when planning permission was granted.

Yes, she does seem to have tried. It is alarming that the efforts of our local MP are apparently so ineffectual. The local postal delivery service is nothing short of appalling with zero accountability.

I spoke to RM customer services and was breezily informed that there was no way to trace standard mail or contact the sorting office. Mail sent out before the 21 December that was still undelivered was now classed as officially missing. It may, he explained, have fallen off a lorry or suffered some other mishap. And, no, there would be no compensation as the 'contract' is between sender and Royal Mail and it was for the sender to raise the issue with Royal Mail. Of course, if the sender is a government body that is not going to happen.