> good anecdote!

>

> One thing is definitely clear.. If The Herne wants

> to ditch the playground.. The jewel in its

> otherwise shabby crown - and stay busy - then it's

> going to have to get a whole lot better at

> everything else.

Top post Bob. Spot on.

The children's play area (And please note the fact that it was sealed off gave parents comfort that their children would not sneak out etc) was the ONLY reason to go there.

They had better be good at something else because it's not a great location and its currently not a very nice pub but it served a purpose. Kids loved it.

I think the new owners are definitely discouraging the kiddie angle of the pub. We had recently been to a kids party on a Saturday afternoon in the barn there, and tried to book a similar thing for our own kids' party. However, ours is in June and therefore after the handover to the new owners, and none of the things that were at our friends party, such as a bouncy castle etc. are now allowed. I know lots of kids can be annoying to pub goers but in this instance the barn is somewhat self contained and the partygoers don't really interact with those in the pub. The new attitude was quite indicative that they really didn't want kids parties to be held there - which I can't really understand - they've lost themselves a few hundred quid from our booking.

Keep the play area it benefits all to have contented children! Why don't they just rework the outside space it's an odd layout anyway with that huge grassy bank, then it could work for everyone. During the week I imagine most of the punters are families, kids tend to be in bed by 7pm or the pub has a curfew in place anyway.

We're hardly short on pubs in the area and there are plenty of child free (ish) establishments. Dulwich and surrounding areas are full of young family's you just have to look at the school situation, seems silly from a financial point of view to not accommodate them too.

I have fond memories as a child using the family friendly garden at the then Harvester, it was probably the only place parents could go with children back then.

Sorted, thanks DulwichFox. Looking forward to the book being published so I can bone up on your other parenting tips.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It would seem that not much will change. People

> will still be able to enjoy a Drink/Meal with

> their Children.

>

> Except the children will not be able to tear

> around and will need to be more closely

> monitored.

>

> Take the kids to the park first so that they can

> expend all their energy, work up an appitite and

> enjoy

> a quite relaxed meal/ drink afterwards.

>

> Cannot see the problem.

>

> I suppose there may be an element of Pubs

> worrying about being Sued by parents when one of

> their little

> darlings falls over and grazes their knee.

>

> Fox

I don't think there are many pubs that are child free round here - certainly I haven't been able to find them.

Anyway, the Herne is my local but in 18 months of living herei can count on one hand the number of times I've been - criticisms of crap beer, being cold and smelly etc all ring true and think that this pub needs to seriously up it's game if it intends to deviate from the family friendly mould.

People say it's off the beaten track - it is but there are still plenty of people on this side of LL who'd love an inviting pub with good beers and amazing wine. And a beautiful back garden. I'm interested to see how this develops but not be holding my breath.

Anna27 Wrote:

> Keep the play area it benefits all to have

> contented children! Why don't they just rework the

> outside space it's an odd layout anyway with that

> huge grassy bank, then it could work for everyone.

> During the week I imagine most of the punters are

> families, kids tend to be in bed by 7pm or the pub

> has a curfew in place anyway.

>

> We're hardly short on pubs in the area and there

> are plenty of child free (ish) establishments.

> Dulwich and surrounding areas are full of young

> family's you just have to look at the school

> situation, seems silly from a financial point of

> view to not accommodate them too.

>

> I have fond memories as a child using the family

> friendly garden at the then Harvester, it was

> probably the only place parents could go with

> children back then.

ellieaness Wrote:

> I don't think there are many pubs that are child

> free round here - certainly I haven't been able to

> find them.

The Rose has a beer garden with no play area. I have not seen any children or families there.

I think the Herne is the only pub in the area with a play area so it is definitely a shame if it goes. It is probably the biggest pull for the pub. I don't think we would go there without it.

Obviously it is up to them but losing the family crowd in East Dulwich may make a too big a hole in the clientele to fill with people who don't like kids and have been avoiding it because of the play area.

The Rose is full of old drunks - I'm going to politely exit this thread now before it becomes families vs non families...

henryb Wrote:

> ellieaness Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don't think there are many pubs that are

> child

> > free round here - certainly I haven't been able

> to

> > find them.

>

> The Rose has a beer garden with no play area. I

> have not seen any children or families there.

>

> I think the Herne is the only pub in the area with

> a play area so it is definitely a shame if it

> goes. It is probably the biggest pull for the pub.

> I don't think we would go there without it.

>

> Obviously it is up to them but losing the family

> crowd in East Dulwich may make a too big a hole in

> the clientele to fill with people who don't like

> kids and have been avoiding it because of the play

> area.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Have we exhausted all of the hilarious made-up

> ironic middle class children's names yet?

>

> Please say there are loads more to come because

> the ones we've had so far have been hilarious..

> Not to mention it being a completely original and

> imaginative way of making your point.

May I contribute Jocasta, Petronella, Seb, Sebi-Anna, Millefeulle, Philbert and Dickon.

The Herne's my local, and for me the loss of the play area reduces the list of positives about the pub to zero. We used to drink there under the previous management before we had kids, when it was a perfectly nice, proper boozer with decent beer and a nice beer garden (with a kids play area). We had two smalls when we heard it was going to be turned into a properly family friendly pub, so were very excited, but it didn't live up to expectations.

I do have one fond memory as it was the first place we were ever able to eat an entire 2 course meal, with coffee, without the risk of indigestion because the toddler and baby were bored and fractious. But mostly when I think of the place I think of over priced food, extremely long waits for meals, beer flies, the filthy, stinking sofa they had in the conservatory and just general grubbyness and poor service. I probably have only been there twice in the last year, each time because my daughters have particularly begged.

Has nobody started the thread speculating about whether they'll be building an M&S or Waitrose there yet?

I couldn't care less what they turn the play area - it'll take a lot more than a knocked down climbing frame to fix that place. I'm holding out for the re-opened Ivy House for a decent local pint.

Christ no, Jeremy. We went bog standard.

It's just that there's only so many times* you can see the same identikit side-splitting post re-hashed again and again and again and again and again - before you start to lose the will..

*In this case, about 481 times to date

Jeremy Wrote:

> star-bob-star, you seems a bit touchy. Do your

> kids have funny names too? Portia and Bentley?

>

> If I ever have a daughter, Millefeulle will be top

> of the list. Thanks HB.

I'm touched Jeremy and my fondest regards to her Mummy, who I know will be Yummy.

It's a fine line.

As I'm not quite yet at *Bob's* "Stage 1" of using the Herne Tavern (Master Carnell being too young to utilise the play equipment) I'm torn on this one.

I tend to avoid the Herne at weekends due to the previously mentioned chaos that occurs in the summer months and the mediocre food. I don't mind it too much at other times if only because they serve a half decent pint of landlord.

And yet, I could see it being a pretty swanky fayn dayning place if the owners wanted. The space is right, replete with wood panelling, and the garden could be beautiful if the money was spent.

But I realise I'd never get to use it then anyway... rats!

Dear all,

I am the new owner of The Herne, our completion is imminent.

Myself and my partner have between us 4 children with a 5th on the way, we get Kids & we get Pubs.

We have been in music, bars, Pubs & clubs since 86, we love The Herne, the area and are really very excited about the future of the pub under our guardianship.

We have two other pubs both of which are Grade ii listed properties ( The Griffin, Shoreditch & THe Half Moon, Herne Hill), our company " The Britannia Pub Company" does what it says on the tin, we are about great British Pubs and their heritage & authenticity, yes we will contemporise the service, the offering, the ambience but we are about keeping the soul of a place.

Our plans are still being refined, but in brief, yes we are removing the climbing frame, yes we are extensively renovating the whole garden but this wont happen in one stroke as previously planned due to the legals dragging.

The garden will be kid friendly, family freindly, couples & singletons freindly, we want the whole community to enjoy the garden.

Our theme is loosely based on a village green, with the humps being removed and one big flat lawn replacing them, allowing people to bring blankets and relax, not upright on Bistro chairs, there will be timber booths, there will be a rustic kids area, by this i mean a much more naturalistic feel, it will be retained by slepers, be made up of a bark floor and big fixed logs that enable a free'er sense of play, discovery and creativity by children.

The children will not be penned in, in my view such existing notices such as " dont climb the fence" are not neccesary if theres no fence.

I took this route with a previous pub in East London called The Britannia, that also had a very large garden, i employed the bark & tree pit idea and it worked. The kids climbed, dug around and had fun, there was no conflict between the kids about who's turn it is on the slide or swings because theres no rules attached to its free structure.

This is already too long, but i hope you understand, we're here for everybody and take responsibility for everybodies enjoyment in that garden, young, old, single, maried, in love, reading, nannying, watching. Love from Jade & Cymon