Herne Tavern play area to be demolished

That sounds excellent, you are absolutely right about the conflicts surrounding the climbing frame, that's a big part of what makes it unpleasant at the moment. I look forward to visiting once the changes have been made.

All sounds very impressive and wish you all the best. One question I have is that we have hired the back bit one day in August for a mum and kid's combined birthday bash.....will the back still be there? Does our reservation still hold?

This should get your curtain twitching juices flowing.

Cymon Eckel

XOYO, director

DJ, producer and pub landlord. Eckel, formerly of the record label Junior Boy's Own, co-founded XOYO in Old Street. The spartan venue, which has a capacity of more than 800, is a cultural destination which houses cutting-edge exhibitions as well as a music events and has attracted DJs and bands from across the globe.

outdoor space sounds good. Out of interest, will you be keeping (during the day, at any rate, I can see you wouldn't want it in the evening) the indoor playroom? Miss Oi was a big fan and I thought it worked well having a couple of tables in there too, so attendant adults could eat/drink but keep a close eye out.

THEHERNE Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear all,

> I am the new owner of The Herne, our completion is

> imminent.

> Myself and my partner have between us 4 children

> with a 5th on the way,

Cue the 'name Jade & Cy's soon-to-be-number 5' thread.

Ibiza. Sorted.

Just when they seemed conspicuously silent, they provide a fairly comprehensive blueprint. Nice one. Welcome. All the best, hope it works. Cheers.

As a fellow parent who loves the Herne for being a family friendly pub I too was worried to hear about the plans to scrap the play area - my son loves it there and often go with family and friends to enjoy catching up and playing with the kids. We've also held family parties in the back room so it has special place in our heart.

I totally get that people have seen the odd parent getting pissed whilst their beloved children run amok - but let's not tar everyone with that brush eh??

And thanks to the new Herne owners for posting on here - sounds really interesting what you have planned and look forward to seeing it in fruition. And welcome to the area by the way!

UncleBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe if so called parents took responsibility for

> their kids and didn't let them be a nuisance then

> maybe things wouldn't have to change so

> radically-but glad they have.

What a load of rubbish.

If you don't like kids playing then go to one of the other millions of pubs that E.dulwich/Peckham has to offer.

And have you not read the response from The Herne? Things aren't changing radically at all so the majority of the families that go there and responsibly enjoy the outside area can still enjoy it.

I have no issue with parents having a few bevvies whilst the kids have a bit of a muck about. The issue with the Herne is that as soon as the sun comes out, guaranteed there will be more than one grouping of adults with multiple kids, getting pissed up and not paying enough attention to what their kids are doing. Inevitably the kids misbehave, knock over drinks, lamp eachother, push each-other off swings, shriek endlessly, minesweep left-over drinks unseen (I have witnessed all these things first hand, most of them more than once) This creates a situation that may be family friendly but is down-right hostile to others. The Herne is a pub, not a playground and by getting rid of the climbing frame and sand-pit it sounds like the new owners are seeking to restore the balance whilst not putting off responsible families. Hopefully everyone will win, and those wanting to get pissed whilst looking after kids will head to the park where there is ample room and they won't be disturbing people paying the guts of a fiver a pint.