Donations Urgently needed - Hostel at the top of Barry road

I'm going to be dropping off some things to the hostel, probably tomorrow, so if anyone has anything they would like to donate but aren't able to bring it themselves, please PM me and I'd be happy to come and bring it for you - it really is such a great cause.

• 1 month later...
I thought I would just give a quick reminder to all the lovely folk of the Family Room, that if you have any unwanted baby/childrens items, either clothing or toys or equipment(particularly pushchairs) then this hostel is desperately in need of donations. It is an extremely worthy place and all donations are always met with such warm thanks and appreciation. Also, if anyone has some time on their hands, they are desperate for volunteers to help with the donations they receive. Nancy's number is listed in this thread should anyone wish to volunteer or donate. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
We have three huge bags of newborn to six mth baby clothes, lots of grobags, change bag, box of toys and books and a Moses basket plus sheets etc that we want to donate but when we called on Monday they said they had enough baby clothes ... Just thought I would give the heads up and also ask if anyone has any other ideas for where to donate? It's a large amount of clothes etc and I would like to find a good home for them!

Piaf, perhaps as you have so many you could donate a sack to each of the chazzers, that would help them sort the contents fairly.

Sometimes when I see their back rooms piled up with donations, and the way clothes seep out on display dirty and badly-priced, it's clear they haven't got a perfect system.

Yes,flower, that was what worried me as I cant see how the usual charity selling through their shop would really be able to cope with all the clothes. It was why I had been keen to use the Barry road hostel as then a baby or three could be entirely kitted out! It is why I also thought women's refuge like Cora suggests as often likely to have kids - its just whether I can find one and whether they do want the stuff

I just spoke to Nancy about taking our P&T down there this weekend, and she confirmed that they're only really after buggies / car seats and stuff like that.

I got the impression this is really because her manager has told her this is not the role of a nurse, and that she shouldn't be using her time sorting donations, which is why they can't take bags of clothes and stuff.

Might be worth calling the 999 club in Deptford. They support vulnerable people of all ages but do have a nursery too. Some heart breaking stories about older children and their life experiences. The nursery tries to be a bit of order in chaotic lives. We collect (new, disposable) nappies at my work to donate their, so they must have some small babies there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I just spoke to Nancy and she is looking for volunteers to help sort through donations.

If anyone can help please get in touch with her.

In the meantime they still need donations of large items such as prams, but please do not drop off big sacks of clothes/ small items that would need to be sorted (as noone is available to do that are the moment).

I am donating items today - but I am pre-sorting and labelling ecerything myself so that it can be given straight out to the relevant people. Nancy says if everyone donating can please so the same she would be very grateful.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hi, does anyone know if the hostel on Barry Road is still accepting donations? I have had a clear out and have some baby items to donate. If anyone has Nancy's number please can you PM me it as I can then call her to find out exactly the sort of items they are after.

Thanks

• 2 years later...