Thai Corner Cafe (Lounged)

chocaholic

We used to love the Thai Corner Cafe, went all the time and were never disappointed. Until the time before last when I felt a bit dodgy during the night. My other half was fine so I didn't think any more about it.

After a bit of a break from the place we went back last Sunday. Being a bank holiday weekend they were really busy. Unusually we had to wait 40mins to get our starter!! Normally you'd have been finishing your entire meal by then! We ordered the mixed started but they didn't have one of the regular items so offered us fish cakes. I can't eat those so asked for an alternative. Then 15mins later another waiter came and asked if fish cakes were ok. I said no, could we have an alternative. Fish cakes arrive!! So we sent it back and they changed it. But everything was cold. And the peanut sauce looked like it'd been served to someone else before us.

My main course was lovely but the other main was a stir fry. Usually it comes with peppars and onions etc. This was just chicken with a few limp green leaves. It looked disgusting. And had no flavour. SO disappointing.

To top it all...we were both ill that night.

So..we'll not be going back.

Anyone else had problems or were we just unlucky?

(apologies for the ranting on!)

So, you have lots of happy experiences in a restaurant (or Cafe in this case) over a number of years... then you have one bad experience (and lets face it, it sounds like they were understaffed and very busy) and you will "not be going back". What? Ever?

Aren't you being a bit over the top?

I generally love the place... but was slightly perplexed when I went in at 9pm one recent weeknight and was told they "didn't have any egg fried rice left". Huh? No rice? I know we're in the grips of a world food shortage, but seriously....

Christopher, not only is chocaholic not going back after one bad experience, s/he is badmouthing the caf? on an internet forum.

Luckily there's all those positive reviews s/he put on from the good times on here too... oh.

ojm Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I generally love the place... but was slightly

> perplexed when I went in at 9pm one recent

> weeknight and was told they "didn't have any egg

> fried rice left". Huh? No rice? I know we're in

> the grips of a world food shortage, but

> seriously....

Proper egg fried rice is rice which is cooked the day before and left to cool covered in the fridge then reheated the next day and stirfried with the egg added so they may well have run out

I had the very worst Thai meal of my life at a restaurant in Brighton on Monday. In fact one of the worst restaurant meals of my life full stop.

It was so bad I felt compelled for the first time in my life to Google the restaurant and put (negative) reviews onto relevant internet sites. Where, surprise, I found I was not the only one to do so!

I think we're very lucky to have the TCC in ED.

:)-D

Sue Wrote:

> I had the very worst Thai meal of my life at a

> restaurant in Brighton on Monday. In fact one of

> the worst restaurant meals of my life full stop.

>

> It was so bad I felt compelled for the first time

> in my life to Google the restaurant and put

> (negative) reviews onto relevant internet sites.

> Where, surprise, I found I was not the only one to

> do so!

>

> I think we're very lucky to have the TCC in ED.

>

> :)-D

The very worst meal of your life in a Thai restaurant in Brighton.

Therefore we should be lucky to have the TCC.

No matter what?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who takes a few cold drinks of an afternoon.

christopher...i was ill the last 2 times so i did give them another chance.

nutty - there are loads of places i like. i've written positive reviews about some of them here but i wouldn't want to repeat myself cos apparently that gets annoying!

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I had the very worst Thai meal of my life at a

> > restaurant in Brighton on Monday. In fact one

> of

> > the worst restaurant meals of my life full

> stop.

> >

> > It was so bad I felt compelled for the first

> time

> > in my life to Google the restaurant and put

> > (negative) reviews onto relevant internet

> sites.

> > Where, surprise, I found I was not the only one

> to

> > do so!

> >

> > I think we're very lucky to have the TCC in ED.

>

> >

> > :)-D

>

>

> The very worst meal of your life in a Thai

> restaurant in Brighton.

> Therefore we should be lucky to have the TCC.

> No matter what?

>

> Glad to see I'm not the only one who takes a few

> cold drinks of an afternoon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The two statements were separate.

Not "because .... therefore ..." or whatever (sorry - a long time since I studied logic so I can't remember the technical term).

Re the TCC, it isn't wonderful but it's a lot better than it was at one time, you can take your own drinks and it's a cheap and cheerful place to go for a meal. Therefore yes, I do think we're lucky to have it.

If you want excellent Thai food, of course, go elsewhere :))

We go there because it is BYO which is a joy ... they are so few and far between ... as one who likes to try and buy different wine, it is great not to have to be tied to a restaurant's invariably boring and over-priced wine list.

I have not personally ever had a bad meal in TCC and their takeaway's are always good. Only thing that I worry about slightly, ironically, is how fast it arrives - has been as quick as 7 mins which has to make you wonder how re-heating is going on? Hardly a complaint though.

Mikandnik

Must stand up for the TCC here. It's one of my locals, I've been going for over 2 years and I have no complaints at all. Agree the BYO is excellent, and I have probably 20/20 or more good experiences. Just felt the need for balance, soapbox now returned to the cupboard under the stairs.

Been using TCC for 8 years and always thought was great - then had a few bland takeaways from there the last few times - so agree they have lost their spark recently....will not be so hasty as to write them off yet, but perhaps they should take note of these comments and reverse recent drop in quality.

I've only been to TCC once but when I did it was definitely far above average, although maybe not the very best Thai I've had. I tried to go there again recently only to find it fully booked (perhaps no surprise) and went to the absolutely appalling Baan Thai in Brixton. Like Sue, this moved me to write a bad review on the internet for the first time to warn others - might as well post it here to spread the bad word! http://www.london-eating.co.uk/6959.htm

ojm Wrote:

> was slightly perplexed when I went in at 9pm one recent

> weeknight and was told they "didn't have any egg

> fried rice left". Huh? No rice?

No not 'no rice' but 'no egg fried rice' the latter takes hours to prepare due to the cooling time required.

If you try stir-frying hot rice you end up with a slush.

Somebody else mentioned 'tummy problems' with reheated rice. This is caused by the bacterium Bacillus cereus and, funnily enough, is often referred to as 'fried rice syndrome' where rice is cooked and then kept warm over a period of time when it should be chilled right down. It's basically down to the bacilli spores which can resist high temperatures and then multiply in a warm environment. Bacillus cereus

Oh, and I've always loved TCC when I've been there. The two sittings they book can result in people hovering around your table while you finish which can be a bit off-putting. If suppose if I was waiting to sit down and eat I might look at it differently.