Wagamama coming to East Dulwich

monica

8 hours ago, NewWave said:

Its no more reasonably priced than Monkatsu .

and The Ramen portions at Monkatsu are much more generous than Wagamama's Ramen.

I also find that the service is much better in a small independent cafe or restaurant than a chain where staff are literally lest invested in the business.

I feel Lordship Lane is becoming BLAND, Like every other high st in Clapham,Putney or Camden.

I think Peckham is now a more interesting offering for those seeking character and individuality.

Every district in London seems to be losing its individuality.

I spent 50years of my life in Notting Hill (before moving here 13years ago) and that went the same way.

Gentrification leads to homogenisation and the charm that leads to areas becoming 'fashionable' gets erased with the rising cost of retail rental.

Bang goes the Butcher the Baker (actually we seem to have A LOT of bakeries😂) and candlestick maker.

The Electrical repair shop, The junk shop the toy shop and in its place we get...

Joe and the Juice, Oliver Bonas,Wagamama,Gails, Bloody Meagans and the list will grow...

Rant over!

I think I should give up on London completely 😤

I think it goes in cycles / is constantly changing.

There was a time when there were three butchers on Lordship Lane (OK, incl. the one on North X Rd.) but they all closed, because of the new Sainsbury’s on the hill. Absolutely decimated Lordship Lane grocery shops, too - and the two fishmongers in early 1990s. But eventually new shops opened as opportunities were seen. It’s easy to look at a tiny slice of time and conclude that was the golden era. If anything, the opening of that Sainsbury’s changed the fundamental way the lordship Lane as a collective of shops could operate going forward. Having witnessed that, it brought home to me the damage these large commercial corporations do to the livelihoods of shopkeepers; corporation margins > business futures of dozens of community / local (in some cases life-long) shops. It’ll be changing still in 50yrs time.

I loved Dave the butcher, et cetera, but nothing last forever.

I remember the fears of local stores at the Dulwich Library end of LL when Sainsbury's Local opened.   They're still there including the florist and Red Apple Newsagents which has found a niche in selling Irish newspapers and is still well used among locals.

When DKH Sainsbury's opened in 1994, it was a different time and people flocked there because of the convenience of having a large store with everything in one place, but times changed and LL was able to find a new niche of independent stores and the likes of M&S Foodhall which complements rather than compete with Sainsbury's.   

There are high streets still struggling, but LL isn't one of them. 

Not all the LL shops that closed around the time that the DKH Sainsbury's opened were necessarily great. The shops that have replaced them offer a wider range and/ or better value than Sainsbury's, or some other USP - that's what competition can do. Trade has come back to LL as the DKH Sainsbury's has reduced some of their range (i.e. no butcher's or wet fish or deli counters). Over time this has benefitted us all.

Alternative shops exist for fish, meat, cheese and deli products assuming you do not want to pay the over the top prices charged by Mons, Moxons and Roses. Just need to shop around and take your custom to retailers who vale your custom and who look after you. 

This is turning into an upmarket version of the poundland thread, just this time it's all about a nw takeaway  

10 hours ago, Penguin68 said:

Not all the LL shops that closed around the time that the DKH Sainsbury's opened were necessarily great. The shops that have replaced them offer a wider range and/ or better value than Sainsbury's, or some other USP - that's what competition can do. Trade has come back to LL as the DKH Sainsbury's has reduced some of their range (i.e. no butcher's or wet fish or deli counters). Over time this has benefitted us all.

We have the best of both worlds now.   There's still DKH Sainsbury's which introduced Argos a few years back which has made it still attractive to visit even if they've axed the food counters, while LL has a diverse range of shops from Poundland to Moxons with Caffe Nero, M&S, Superdrug and the Co-op somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Bic Basher

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2023 at 16:21, monica said:

Barclays Bank are asking £95000 rent, plus £45000 rates per year. It would be great if there were an independent who could afford a £140000 a year before they even opened the doors. 

This is the crucial point.

I think Wagamama’s is a bit crap, so prob won’t use it, but many others will and that’s fine. My point is that only a chain of that size with that kind of profile is gonna be able to pay those rents/rates.

Is LL better or worse off for losing Hisar and gaining Wagamama? Neither, probably. It’s sad that a small business is going, but good that someone is opening up and providing jobs. It’s just…how it is and how it’s always been.

It’s incredibly hard for small, independent places to thrive in a location like ED, the rents are just so high.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...