maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Any budding lepidopterists out there tell me what

> butterfly this is? Probably very common but not

> seen it before. (see photo)

Yes I remember this tatoo Jah! before I move to East Dulwhich

on the right hand side of her leg what we can do for her to do the cover

as I won't be able to go to the country til next summer ha ha ha

Thanks Kat - didn't think it was a moth as it was flitting around in daylight and feeding on flowers - but on googling your answer I see that it is indeed a Jersey Tiger Moth and that the daylight hours and feeding on nectar are two of its characteristics.

There are day moths and night moths, and some moths can be marvellously coloured. The Jersey Tigers are now quite common around these parts. I get around 15 or 20 at a time when they get going. They seem to like basking on the kitchen windows and window sills in the sunshine. There must be something they like eating here too.

Check out the fabulous UK moths website

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=2067

Ian will even ID moths from photos you send in.

I am trying to find out about the flora and fauna that arrived in the East Dulwich and Nunhead valley at the Holocene transition about 12,000 years ago.

Does anyone know of any old hazel trees or hazel coppice remnants anywhere in our valley?

Does anyone know of any records of dormice in our valley?

Thanks.

John K

Hi

This is a reply to the offer of frog spawn from lousmith. I moved last year, leaving behind my lovely sunk sink, which I expect is full of taddies as we speak. I have put a lovely proper pond in this garden, but sadly, no frogs have found it. Do you still have any tadpoles I could come and get? They would be coming to agood home - even got piles of bricks ready for the winter - here's hoping.....

Karen

PS I'm on Dunstans Road, so they wouldn't be coming far..

John K - I don't know about records of dormice, but my OH saw what he swore was a dormouse peeking out of a collapsed laburnum in a garden somewhere in Forest Hill several years ago. Pure anecdote, no evidence, I'm afraid.

I wish I'd been there to see it as had the pleasure of rescuing one which had tumbled out of part of a barn wall which was being demolished many years ago in France. I handled it as briefly as possible as it was shaking with fright so I just put it in a safe dark place, and when I went to check on it after half an hour or so, it had gone. Hopefully, not into the belly of the resident whip snake.

The scene today in my garden.

The injured Crow that we are caring for has now recovered a lot and I have made a resonable pen for it, I have named it Gordon as it hops about reminds me of a Gordon highlander dancing, he can be seen in his cage you can see why he must be caged look at one of my cats on top.

This picture was taken today about 10 am when all the birds are out Gordon from his inner nightbox, the Chickens from their house, hundreds of wild birds come here daily.

See picture att.

Gordon lucked out with you, CS :-)

Yesterday, I put two eggs out onto the back lawn just to see what would come along and make off with them. Within just a few minutes, Crow came down to do a reccy. It's amazing how delicate that large beak can be, as it managed to take firm hold of one and fly off with an egg intact. Not long after, the second egg disappeared in a flap of black wings.

This morning, I put some bread out and again Crow was first taker. It stuffed its beak with as many pieces as it could load up with then strode over to the bird bath and dunked it in the water before flying off. How curious, I've never seen that happen.

Pigeons must be from a local Racing member, one in the foreground is pink ringed but his leg is broken it feeds from my hand, if they lay eggs in the chicken house I give them to the crow as I dont want to encourage them to breed, he dunks everything in his water, all the birds bathe in a water tray and leave a grey film on the surface, one to the left was born with only one leg.

Was out in garden this evening (still light) and spotted this moth at top of fence.

Looked up some info and think it's a female Muslin moth - quite common all over England but I've never seen one before.

It was pale cream with brown spots and about 3cms length.

Is anyone aware of some kind of fox rescue place that operates in this area? A fox who comes into my garden is in such a bad way that it either needs treating or putting out of its misery: No fur on any part of its body, apart from its head and legs, and a suppurating wound on its forehead.