Silver car, reg OV62 RBY?

Hi,

Is this your car or do you know who's it is?

It was witnessed pranging my car, taking a look at the damage and then driving off. Nice. Was about 3.30pm today, on Blackwater st, just off Lordship Lane.

Thankfully a nice couple of builders working opposite wrote down the license plate.

If it is you be polite and send a pm so we can sort out. Otherwise I'll go via my insurance.

Thanks.

From the Met's website:

"Road traffic collisions

Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 requires drivers/ riders to report to a police officer or police station that they have been involved in an accident involving in any of the following;

-any personal injury

-damage only, where the other driver/ rider did not stop

-damage only, where names and addresses were not exchanged with the other driver/ rider/ cyclist and any other owner of property damaged (even if the other driver stopped)

Road traffic self report collision form - Form 207

This form has been provided to allow drivers/ riders/ cyclists to self-report such cases where police did not attend the scene. It is emphasised that the completed form must be handed in to a police station and date stamped accordingly.

This must be done as soon as is practicable and in any event within 24 hours of the accident in order to assist any possible investigation and to comply with the law.

Upon receipt of the form you will then be sent a letter acknowledging receipt and explaining what will happen next.

Reporting a collision / accident involving damage only - Form 206

-Where names and addresses have been exchanged with the other driver / rider / cyclist and with any other owner of property damaged.

Although the law has been complied within these cases, some insurance companies ask that a report is still made to police.

If you wish to do so, the completed form 206 can be taken to a Metropolitan Police Service station and shown to the reception staff, who will update it with the station stamp, date and time of reporting. You will be given the form to retain and there will be no additional police report. Do not submit this form by post."

The forms can be downloaded from the Met's website.

neilson99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They've just committed a criminal offence by

> driving off haven't they? Just call the police.

My thoughts exactly. There can be any number of reasons why a driver doesn't hang about after an accident, such as being unlicensed, uninsured, over the limit etc, all of which mean that driver shouldn't be on the road.

Something very similar happened to us right outside our house. We witnessed it, husband ran after the. Down the street but they wouldn't stop. After reporting it to the police we received a bog standard letter advising the police would not pursue it further! Worse thing was the details of the incident within their letter were completely wrong! Looks like the police can't even copy information from the form you submit.

Apparently all they do is check whether the accused driver has claimed on their insurance, if not they just drop it!

Shocking really and very annoying.

So, completely feel your pain.

Happened to our neighbour. She went to claim for repairs through her insurer liasing with his insurer (I had his reg and description), anyway find out first if you will lose your no claims. She was told she would so wasn't worth it in her case. Not sure if they logged with police too, but worth seeing where you stand insurance wise.

Once again, an indivivual can contact the Motor Insurers bureau to obtain details of any vehicle in an accident with them.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/Motor+Insurance+Database+Information/Enquiries+via+the+UK+Information+Centre.htm

It really is that simple to take action against another vehicle owner if you have the license plate and the vehicle is insured. If the vehicle is not insured, notify the Police.

MIB will advise you to speak to your own insurer. Each insurer has access to the Motor Insurance Database, and a high level of detail of it, and can identify insurance history for the vehicle on your behalf.

To do it yourself via MIB will incur a charge (or at least it used to), and you also have a responsibility to notify your insurer of incidents anyway (whether or not you intend to make a claim).

I have just got home from work and my car, which is parked on Bassano street just on the corner of Blackwater Street, has a large dent in the bodywork near the petrol cap.

My car is a black 3 series BMW cabriolet. I would be very grateful if the witnesses to this event could let me know if this is related and the same car was guilty.

My car must have been damaged sometime between 6pm last night and 7pm tonight.

Any help much appreciated.

dv1 Wrote:

> From the ASKMID.com website:

>

> YES OV62RBY IS showing as insured on the Motor

> Insurance Database today.

I'm intrigued. Did you pay to make that enquiry?

dv1 Wrote:

> No, just tick the box that says you are owner.

> Which I am not btw.

Whilst it may seem petty of me to point this out, they do make the conditions pretty clear (see attachment for full details).:

"I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data protection Act 1998. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry."