my cat hit by a car outside leisure centre

On tues evening at about 9.30 my cat -a very pretty tabby - was hit by a car outside the leisure centre in Crystal palace rd.

lots of people apparently saw what happened and came to let me know. Many many thanks to Sonia and Mark who stayed with me and drove me to the emergency vet in Streatham. Your kindness will not be forgotten. Thanks also to the two guys who stayed with the cat and phoned the RSPCA in case the owner couldn't be located.

Unfortunately Mimi's spine was broken and was unable to be operated on.

To anyone who saw the diver of the car or took the number as he drove off I'd be grateful for a pm.

Mimi was thhe sweetest cat who often sat at the front of the house and allowed herself to be admired and stroked by passing children. We will miss her a lot.

So sorry to hear about your lovely cat, it is sad when something sudden like that happens. Its nice that there were wonderful people around to look after the cat after she was hit by car, it restores ones faith in humans!

Hopefully the owner of the hit and run car can/will be traced and prosecuted for reckless driving and for not stopping at the scene of an accident.

Hope your able to have another cat sometime soon.

I'm sorry, but the last post by Prunella is a bit pathetic.

I had a cat killed by a car 3 years ago, it had crossed a road and got mashed-up, the car owner was gutted - when someone pointed out to him that it had happened.

This is my point - unless the car driver intentionally went for the cat to hit it (as all leisure centre users do, no doubt - right ?) then there's nothing reckless about it is there ?

I hit a pheasant on the A3 a few weeks back. BAM. Dead and gone. Don't think I was being reckless though.

It's very sad losing a cat to the road, but it's extremely common and not part of some hatred by drivers, so park the hunt for someone to blame Prunella. There's nothing in the OP that I can see that suggests foul play, so why jump to assumptions ?

Peace - it's a real shame, sorry to hear about your cat. You mentioned that lot's of people saw what happened - so what did happen ? Are you saying it was done intentionally or that the car driver knew he'd hit your cat and then drove-off regardless ? If not, what would you say to the driver if you located him ?

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, section 170, it is a legal requirement to report any road accident which causes damage to any animal which is not on or in the vehicle involved. The definition of 'animal' however does not include cats.

This means that it is not a legal offence to fail to stop, or to fail to report an accident with a cat. Equally, owners of cats cannot be held reponsible where the cat causes an accident (i.e. where a driver swerves to avoid a cat and subsequently hits another car or a pedestrian).

This recognises that cats, whilst 'domestic' are very frequently not in the control of their putative owners.

This means that it would not be possible to prosecute any driver who struck a cat, unless it could be demonstrated that this was a direct and intentional action with the sole intent of causing the cat harm or pain - that is, a direct form of animal cruelty (striking a cat as an intentional alternative to hitting a pedestrian or other vehicle would be entirely OK).

It is always very sad when a loved pet is in an accident, of course, but to pillory the driver as being reckless jumps to a conclusion too far, and there is no legal requirement, as I have said, to stop at, or report an accident with a cat.

Thank you for your condolences. I've got no thought of wanting to do anything about the driver - I was so sad and upset that I didn't say clearly that I just wanted anyone who saw exactly what happened to tell me.

The couple who took me to the vet with Mimi told me people were shocked at the driver's callous attitude.

Feeling sad to hear about your cat, and also feeling happay that how people help you in finding the emergency so it is prove with that the kindness is still alive in the people but unlikely the driver who just goes on after hiting an innocent cat.

The loss of a good animal is always a sad thing, some understand and some dont. I love friendly cats that I pass along the way, they make my day. I often go to the fusion so I bet I gave her a stroke.

It is a shame the law doesnt make drivers legally obliged to stop, quite hurtful actually since that a good cat can be many things.

I am sad for your loss.

Jay

Sorry to hear that you have lost your cat. Also, it is a shame if you feel that the driver was not sufficiently concerned - if true, then this does show a lack of empathy even if no law was broken.

Having said all that, if you were not in control of your cat at the time then I'm sorry to say that it is still your responsibility. If you *really* do not want a cat to be run over, do not let it out of the house!

Don't think a cat could live properly like that IMHO (although I know some put them on leads).

Cats are different to dogs - as the law seems to take into account.

HopOne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to hear that you have lost your cat. Also,

> it is a shame if you feel that the driver was not

> sufficiently concerned - if true, then this does

> show a lack of empathy even if no law was broken.

>

> Having said all that, if you were not in control

> of your cat at the time then I'm sorry to say that

> it is still your responsibility. If you *really*

> do not want a cat to be run over, do not let it

> out of the house!

Wow that is insenstive, and shows a complete lack of knowledge about cats as well.

Accidents can happen to any animal or person. Tragic for the pet and for the bereaved owner on this occasion. Try telling parents never to let their children out of the house if they don't want them to have road accidents! Better than that, why don't you advise that none of us leave the house.

That's right John. I don't know what happened in this instance....whether the cat suddenly ran out leaving the driver no time to react, or whether the driver could have avoided it. Whenever I see animals on or near the road I always slow down just in case. But I have seen drivers deliberately drive at crossing animals and on one instance a driver deliberately drive over a Mallard that was in the road on Peckham Rye.

Actually, anthropomorphising a cat to the extent that you compare it to a human is, IMHO, misguided. This is what I was responding to and it does seem to be a UK-only phenomenon.

I have had experience of keeping cats and I am also a parent. I teach my child about road safety but recognise that pets are unlikely to develop the same road sense as a human being and we should as pet owners take responsibility for that. I am genuinely sorry if anyone has lost a pet but really, a moment of rationality is required here - it is your choice whether you keep a cat as a house pet or not - if you don't feel that you can do that, it doesn't suddenly make that pet any different from another animal, sadly it may get run over.

Maybe the tendency in the UK to anthropomorphise animals comes from the deep love and respect many UK citizens have for animals. The UK has some of the best animals welfare standards and tightest control on use of research animals of any country in the world. Personally, I think that's something of which to be very proud, even though obvisouly not everyone feels the same. xx

Hi my condolences from a fellow forum member with big passion for cat's

of which we have 2.

my male cat loves to sit out front under bay window and let passers by admire him so can see how missed your beloved kitty will be,shame such horrific injury poor kitty.

horrible when people dont stop.....

it is a crime not to....so in that sense anyone got l plate number they could report it .

not that brings kitty back.

It is hard in Dulwich not let them near road especially the semi detached houses..we luckily got landlord put high side gate with no gap underneath.my cat still managed get out when neighbours above left side gate open thankfully he saw me looking for him and ran back to back of house.

cats have own free will if outdoor cat very cruel keep them in all time.

know we have to at night due foxes going for cat's where we live.........thank goodness for kind people who helped you go vet hold onto kitty till you were located......

so sad

m

Actually, anthropomorphising a cat to the extent that you compare it to a human is, IMHO, misguided. This is what I was responding to and it does seem to be a UK-only phenomenon.

Actually you are quite right...how can we compare any animal to the selfish, wasteful and destructive species that the human one is. How dare any animal have the freedom to explore and disrupt our right to drive tons of metal around the tarmac we put down as we please.

I'd say the only misguided view is the one that thinks animals should be locked away.

Hey, DJKQ. We don't lock Mike or Sonny away. But we DO ensure that they not leave the back garden, either. We think of ourselves as the "houseparents" in sheltered accommodation for the not-quite-bright. Dear to us though they are, neither Sonny nor Mike is the sharpest pencil in the box.

Yes, their horizons are limited. But we'd so hate to lose them; and even in our little cul-de-sac, there are some who between sleeping poliemen put their foot heavily down. VROOOOOOMMMM!!!

So we restrict our cats' horizons.

Sing with me: Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world / Hard to get by / Just upon a purr -- yes, I am quoting "Cat" Stevens.

LOL....love that post Alex :)

My cats don't stray anywhere near the main road but they have got into other kinds of scrapes over the years. It's about balance isn't it? Minimising risk whilst not curtailing them from doing the things that cats naturally want to do.