The East Dulwich Society

Ken Hoole and Edyth Watt of the East Dulwich Society (based in SE23?) still seem to be representing the views of East Dulwich residents to official bodies.

Has anyone seen any recent publications of this group, attended any of their meetings, know how many members the group has, or know what their mandate is to represent East Dulwich?

• 2 years later...

In my capacity as editor of Dulwich OnView, I have just been contacted by Janet Coy, who says 'I am the Acting Chair for the East Dulwich Society who are having their AGM at 7 pm on Friday 22nd October 2010 at the John Paul Centre (hall behind St. Thomas More RC Church on Lordship Lane).

Would be grateful if you could publicise the EDS AGM as we get a very poor turn out at the AGM although membership subscriptions are coming in fast and furious.'

I'm not sure if this information is still up to date, but I believe the EDS are also looking for people who would be willing to stand for the position of Vice Chair, Treasurer, Membership Secretary or Secretary. They don't have a website at present, so possibly this is something they would look into in the future if there is a willing volunteer to help set this up!

Bubbles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They don't have a website

> at present, so possibly this is something they

> would look into in the future if there is a

> willing volunteer to help set this up!

Possibly set up? In the future? You mean they're not sure it would be an absolutely essential tool in 2010 to canvas opinion from those who it appears they may represent. How very odd. I'm nervous of suggesting that perhaps this group is made up of the very elderly, as I know someone will immediately leap at my throat for it, but perhaps the name should be changed to the VSEDS (Very Secret East Dulwich society) to reflect the organisation's true nature.

From what I can remember the EDS have been around for a long time and campaigned on several issues in the interest of East Dulwich. I'd be inclined to agree that the original members are of age and due to the decrease in lack of active members, the EDS has somewhat dewindled into none-existence. The reason for not having a website, is due to lack of technological know-how within the current members, so I'm told. Maybe if enough people attend their next meeting, it might kick-start the society. I haven't attended any of their meetings personally, and their is very little by way of marketing to publicise who they are and what they do, but I might drop into the one that's been mentioned on this forum to see for myself.

What was that story on Dulwich OnView?

I think Janet Coy (acting Chair of EDS)is coming to the Dulwich OnView party happening at Dulwich Picture Gallery this Sunday (3-6pm). You could come along to the event (free, music, dance, tea/wine/cakes), have a great afternoon, and find out all you want to know about the EDS at the same time.

(shameless plug for the party!)

I wonder if perhaps someone could suggest to a committee member of the EDS that they request a permanent thread on this forum - similar to the 'East Dulwich Councillor - Can we help' thread - this might resolve any lack of IT skills that is preventing the website being created and create an immediate link to those they are trying to engage with.

I don't know any committee member but if anyone does.....

Apart from the "Dulwich Onview Party" is there any contact details for Janet Coy or any other EDS members? From your earlier post, IngridB, Janet Coy has been in contact with you, so maybe you can pass on the comment from Peterstorm1985 re a "can we help" thread posted on this forum!

I am involved in the ED Society and can advise you that the youngest committee member is 38 years old and the majority of the others are 60 plus. Three members, Ken, Gil and Stan attend the various Health and Social Care/NHS/other meetings as these are predominantly held during the day or early evening which those of us who are full time workers cannot make.

We had advertised extensively our Public Meeting for October 2009 on EDF and other platforms but had a very poor turnout of around 15 people.

People do not seem to mind paying their ?3 pa membership fee but are reluctant to participate in meetings.

The reason why we held a meeting at the East Dulwich Community Centre last year was to attract newcomers to the area and to the society to get people who would be committed to helping publicise the society using new technolgy. We would like those who take an active interest in the facilities in ED - regardless whether it is the closure of Dulwich Hospital, the fragmentation of the NHS, the closure of the Felix Post Unit and the Emergency Clinic at Maudsley, the redesigning of Kings A&E. All these campaigns see EDS members involved in some way or the other. Our esteemed Stan Hardy (Vice Chair)

who received acolades from SLP/SNews and other media publications, is a well known community activist, who is respected by Tessa Jowell, Simon Hughes and Harriet Harman. He is well known to all councillors regardless of their politics views as a man who will fight for his local community. Whilst you may not hear about EDS and meetings, considerable work is being undertaken by a few committee members in most of the key decisions being taken by public figures. EDS members will expose unjust practices/policies etc. It was the former chair of EDS who took a great interest in the scandel of the Honor Oak Cementry illegal dumping, and followed up issues.

Yes we would like to get into the 21st Century having web pages etc but most of us lack the knowledge and/or the time to undertake this committment. Various issues that EDS have been involved with have been posted on EDF but have attracted very little interest. This may be because the issues are not relevant to most people. With all the cutbacks due in the near future - there is a great opportunity for local people to have a collective voice via EDS but we do need active people willing to meet if not monthly, every few weeks to plan campaigns etc.

AGM is at the John Paul Centre behind St. Thomas More Church Lordship Lane. 6.30 Refreshments and 7 pm Meeting. Friday 22nd October. Please indicate on this thread if you wish to attend so that we can plan the catering.