New Cinema for Lordship lane?

Considering the value of that property, it seems to me you'd be better off selling or leasing it to a commercial interest and reinvesting the money in some cheaper warehouse type deal for a food Bank? Doesn't seem like the type of thing which needs an expensive high street location, but I could be wrong.

Yes, a planning application for a nursery and community facility was granted earlier this year.

the Picture House owner has made a genuine offer has been made.

East Dulwich needs both facilites but the latter is harder to find a suitable location for so I'm especially hopeful it will happen.

Picturehouse aren't really indie anymore (think they got bought by Cineworld), so if it was a choice, I would rather have an Everyman or a Curzon (and get a bit of variation in the local area). However, I don't mean to sound fussy, and I'd be extremely happy to see any of them on the Lane!

• 2 weeks later...

This week a third cinema chain has contact me and I've passed them onto Father Gerry.

First steps so too early to give their name but not a large cinema chain.

Interesting thinking of how it would work best for the local church owners.

Remaining a freeholder brings hassle and risk of having one large investment in one property.

Also owning a cinema could bring issues about films that are shown.

So suspect Father Gerry would want to sell the freehold and invest the money professionally for the long term.

This is just too exciting!

After spending the last number years travelling from wherever I live (including a period of time in Barons Court!) to the Greenwich Picturehouse, the idea of having our very own similar cinema in East Dulwich is wonderful.

Also happy that Curzon and another independent are now on the table.

Of course it'd be as nifty as flip almighty to have a movie house within lurching distance, provided it was the kind of joint that'd show Un Chien Andalou of a Tuesday, Titanic of a Saturday and a BIG BUST OUT FRIDAY ALL THE PERONI YOU CAN DRINK showing of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

But anyway, let's not get too lit up about it, Jeez, Brixton Ritzy's practically, yard.

Bruv.

• 2 weeks later...
Brings back memories I remember my mun taking me and my best mate to see 1000000 years BC with the lovely Raquel Welsh not that I'm showing my age just my wisdom! The cinema used to be opposite the Texaco petrol station and next to the indian restaurant on East Dulwich Grove.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It would be kind of ironic if a former church

> building became a cinema...

Why would this be ironic? I could see it would be ironic for a former church building to become a centre for devil worship but a cinema?