New Cinema for Lordship lane?

No, James don't get me wrong. I just think there may be a problem sustaining both cinemas. If the new cinema was opening in, say, Camberwell I think there would be less of an issue. If there is one. Just thinking that one cinema may end up closing if there is stiff competition so nearby.

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There'll always be plenty of people who think that

> ?4.99 is just about right for a film - like me

>

> great news tho for those that don't

xxxxx

All Picturehouses eg the Ritzy do Orange Wednesdays, ie two for the price of one on Wednesdays if you use Orange (I have an Orange mobile contract - now part of EE).

Somebody told me that they also do half-price tickets for everybody on a certain day of the week, but I can't see anything on their website about that, so it may not be true.

Personally I am over the moon that I won't have to do the 37 run to Brixton any more :)

ETA: And I have always found the Peckham cinema to be a soul-sapping experience on the occasions I have gone there.

Agreed on both cinemas surviving ok. One is a cheap and dirty 'blockbuster and out' (excellent for cheap 3D films too), the other will be more of an experience, with the bar, better service etc...

How about we let the market decide rather than doom everything off the bat... especially with rubbish weekend train services (and none to the West End), the more diversions in the local area for leisure time, the better.

cle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agreed on both cinemas surviving ok. One is a

> cheap and dirty 'blockbuster and out' (excellent

> for cheap 3D films too), the other will be more of

> an experience, with the bar, better service etc...

>

>

> How about we let the market decide rather than

> doom everything off the bat... especially with

> rubbish weekend train services (and none to the

> West End), the more diversions in the local area

> for leisure time, the better.

Aye, fair comment.

I can understand that some people may find it surprising that a cinema would open near to Peckham cinema, but the two businesses are very different. In a similar way to Greenwich having both the large multiplex Odeon cinema AND the Greenwich Picturehouse.

The multiplex offerings cater for the more Hollywood based blockbuster fair which definitely has it's place and market. The Picturehouse group have evolved a brand over many years that will also cater for the latest must see big budget film (last years 'Gravity' and currently the surprisingly brilliant 'The Lego Movie' to name two) but also offers a broad range of films that would never been shown at an Odeon type cinema.

Picturehouse also offer a broad range of curated and special screenings which will be ideal for a community such as East Dulwich.

The 'Big Scream Club' allows parents to see the latest films accompanied by their under 1 year old babies; 'Silver Screen' offers weekly screenings for the over 60s for ?5, including free tea of coffee; 'Kids' Club', Autism-Friendly screenings and much more.

Picturehouse have been at the forefront of live arts in the cinema regularly showing live performances from the National Theatre, Royal Opera House, Met Opera and more.

The membership scheme is brilliant. The annual free tickets that you are given, the discount on tickets booked and the removal of booking fee pays back the membership in no time. Really worth joining.

I should point out that I have nothing to do with the company but have been a devotee of the Picturehouse cinemas for over 15 years and am simply over the moon that we could have one at the end of the road!

Let's all get behind this and make it happen.

Vic :)

When I last spoke to Curzon they said if they were t oexchange contracts around Xmas time just gone they'd hope to open for the following Christmas. The expectation was reconfiguring the existing building. Assuming same from Picturehouse then early new year would be my hunch but have a query out asking them.