New Cinema for Lordship lane?

would've been a nice supportive incentive of the picturehouse towards the community if say the first 100 to sign up didn't have to pay for the privilege or something like that... seems that although the "goal" is enticing local support, locals are paying for the venture.

I have nothing against the picturehouse at all I just think this particular scheme is a bit cheeky. If they were a charity this kind of thing is quite normal of course. And of course they're not a charity.

If you intend to frequent the cinema it was a great deal. Also able to be used at their other cinemas until ours opened. Also it isn't necessarily about vanity for all. I bought a membership for my little boy so he can see his name up on the screen when he's a bit older. We love films and I think it would be exciting for him. I hope it will also show him we are a community and he is an established part of that. Maybe if he gets older and moves away he will always feel his roots in ED where he was born and his name up in artwork in a community institution compounds this. Things can just be done because it's fun, positive and exciting.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you intend to frequent the cinema it was a

> great deal. Also able to be used at their other

> cinemas until ours opened. Also it isn't

> necessarily about vanity for all. I bought a

> membership for my little boy so he can see his

> name up on the screen when he's a bit older. We

> love films and I think it would be exciting for

> him. I hope it will also show him we are a

> community and he is an established part of that.

> Maybe if he gets older and moves away he will

> always feel his roots in ED where he was born and

> his name up in artwork in a community institution

> compounds this. Things can just be done because

> it's fun, positive and exciting.

I'm sure you did it because it's fun, positive and exciting, and doing it for your kid is a lovely idea, but Picturehouse did it to get people signing up, end of.

I'm not against them by the way, and agree that membership is quite good value.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> If you intend to frequent the cinema it was a

> great deal. Also able to be used at their other

> cinemas until ours opened. Also it isn't

> necessarily about vanity for all. I bought a

> membership for my little boy so he can see his

> name up on the screen when he's a bit older. We

> love films and I think it would be exciting for

> him. I hope it will also show him we are a

> community and he is an established part of that.

> Maybe if he gets older and moves away he will

> always feel his roots in ED where he was born and

> his name up in artwork in a community institution

> compounds this. Things can just be done because

> it's fun, positive and exciting.

Lovely post. Hope you both enjoy it!

Very lovely post!

I can't really see what the fuss is about. The membership scheme is good value and it comes with a nice extra regarding the art. I think Picture House did a nice job of generating business while doing something a bit different to make it interesting.

northlondoner Wrote:

> yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If you intend to frequent the cinema it was a

> > great deal. Also able to be used at their

> other

> > cinemas until ours opened. Also it isn't

> > necessarily about vanity for all. I bought a

> > membership for my little boy so he can see his

> > name up on the screen when he's a bit older. We

> > love films and I think it would be exciting for

> > him. I hope it will also show him we are a

> > community and he is an established part of that.

>

> > Maybe if he gets older and moves away he will

> > always feel his roots in ED where he was born

> and

> > his name up in artwork in a community

> institution

> > compounds this. Things can just be done

> because

> > it's fun, positive and exciting.

>

>

> Lovely post. Hope you both enjoy it!

Where has it been inferred something wasn't "fun" "positive" or "exciting"? My own comments were simply suggesting that it would have been a good community gesture.

I'm well aware about business/marketing/PR campaigns and I certainly wasn't complaining or indeed fussing. I simply don't like marketing where it looks like you're getting a fab deal - as advertised, for example, in se22 encouraging you to sign up in a manner that looks like it is something particularly exclusive, not mentioning fees until you go to that particular part of the website (it's a bog standard membership nothing special) - and you're not really.

I'm allowed to express my views aren't I?

The words in quotes are the ones from my post so I feel obliged to reply even though I didn't write the incendiary "fuss" comment. What I have said previously is reiterated below in my own quotes. As you can see they are statements. Not inferences. Because I think something, doesn't mean I am inferring people who think otherwise are wrong.

Just as you point out KK, you are entitled to your view and right to express it, as am I and Motorbird. We have all expressed our views. So all in all this in itself has been a "positive" and "exciting" exchange of views.

Hurrah for the EDF! Boo Hiss to the authoritarian elite if indeed they are trying to prevent such things. Scandalous.

"Things can just be done because it's fun, positive and exciting."

"Great business sense and a successfully run business that impacts the community in this way is positive and exciting news"

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Where has it been inferred something wasn't "fun"

> "positive" or "exciting"? My own comments were

> simply suggesting that it would have been a good

> community gesture.

>

> I'm well aware about business/marketing/PR

> campaigns and I certainly wasn't complaining or

> indeed fussing. I simply don't like marketing

> where it looks like you're getting a fab deal - as

> advertised, for example, in se22 encouraging you

> to sign up in a manner that looks like it is

> something particularly exclusive, not mentioning

> fees until you go to that particular part of the

> website (it's a bog standard membership nothing

> special) - and you're not really.

> I'm allowed to express my views aren't I?

KalamityKel Wrote:

>I simply don't like marketing

> where it looks like you're getting a fab deal - as

> advertised, for example, in se22 encouraging you

> to sign up in a manner that looks like it is

> something particularly exclusive, not mentioning

> fees until you go to that particular part of the

> website (it's a bog standard membership nothing

> special) -

I'd say that right now, it's better than a bog-standard membership. The standard Picturehouse membership is 12 months for your ?40 at Brixton or Clapham etc. If you buy an ED one (even now that the first 1000 have gone and you miss out on the artwork), you can use your membership card for reduced prices at the other PH cinemas now and you'll get 15 months membership from when it opens. So you're getting 18 months for the price of 12 if you're happy to go to other venues which is a pretty good deal.

Applespider Wrote:

> I'd say that right now, it's better than a

> bog-standard membership. The standard

> Picturehouse membership is 12 months for your ?40

> at Brixton or Clapham etc. If you buy an ED one

> (even now that the first 1000 have gone and you

> miss out on the artwork), you can use your

> membership card for reduced prices at the other PH

> cinemas now and you'll get 15 months membership

> from when it opens. So you're getting 18 months

> for the price of 12 if you're happy to go to other

> venues which is a pretty good deal.

I guess it really depends how much use you are likely to get out of it. If you are a regular cinema attendee and picturehouse show films you will want to watch then great. Although, I do agree with KK 6 months free isn't that great a deal on the whole. As with many marketing campaigns it's the consumer who tends to pay for the venture. How often are you likely to travel to the other picturehouse establishments until the ED opens, if you aren't already that is? Will such a membership encourage you to go to a picturehouse cinema more so than without a membership?

I hadn't thought this area held many cinema buffs, by which I mean those that have the time to escape to any cinema. Of course, given the uptake, I'm obviously wrong. It would seem you only really benefit from the membership on ticket value if you attend more than 10 times. Again, if that works for you then great.

ultrauk Wrote:

> I'm happy with the membership deal. Life is for

> living not moaning. Good luck to them. I hope

> local people back it & it's a great success. I've

> lived in ED for 15 yrs & the area keeps on

> improving :)

Totally agree.