New Cinema for Lordship lane?

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hiw is that different from a cinema tho Jeremy?

A church such as this will be serving a much wider geographical area that a cinema.

I'm assuming that people who live relatively locally are much more likely to walk or use public transport.

As I live near the Deeper Life Bible Church, I can tell you what would happen if KICC open up as a church using them as an example.

Traffic jams along LL as churchgoers attempt to turn right into the car park at 10.30am with others using side streets such as Underhill Road, Melford Road and Wood Vale to park when the church is full.

The two bus stops nearest the church are full after the service ends.

These type of churches attract a huge congregation. There are churches in North/East London which can take up to 1,000 people.

Considering The Capitol also faces residential housing, noise pollution may also be an issue, in particular during evening services.

Not merely will the new church, if there is one, occupy space which would have been of much greater amenity to locals used otherwise (if it is true that such churches attract users from far afield) but it will place huge usage stress locally (i.e. parking, congestion etc.) but will, as a church, be excused most taxes and rates which would be placed on any normal commercial enterprise, even though numbers of these churches are effectively very nice little earners for their pastors.

I am never happier than when I see former religious premises re-used as housing, as offices, as anything other than for their original purpose; I am never sadder than when I see good property alienated to a god squad (of any demomination, creed or faith).

Ah well, never believed the cinema story, but shame to hear the church story. Crystal Palace tried hard and failed to keep them at bay, so it seems if they have their sights on this site, then it will likely happen.

Unacceptable? Moral bankruptcy? Blighting modern life? I would agree with all of your post northlonder, except for the ill-informed sarcasm.

KICC encourage the congregation to pray for wealth - people go there because they think the church can make them rich, or at least solve their money problems. Now, while I think that people can believe whatever they like, that doesn't mean I approve of quacks preying on the vulnerable or giving them false hope.

But that's the tip of the iceberg. Look up the chuch's leader, Matthew Ashimolowo. He has paid himself hundreds of thousands of pounds out of the church's "charities" (in addition to the six figure salary he draws), as well as cyphoning money into his other business interests. The man is a crook. The church is a fraud.

Good news of sorts. The councillor who made the original comments is now saying the KICC haven?t bought the venue but that it was a rumour he had heard that he was simply passing on.

However until Wetherspoons reveal who they have sold to I wouldn?t breathe a sigh of relief until then. Picturehouse were looking to buy the old bingo hall in Crystal Palace but were outbid by the cash rich KICC and now 5 years later the building remains rarely used except for unlawful religious events and every other suburb in the vicinity of Crystal Palace has some sort of cinema in the works.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Unacceptable? Moral bankruptcy? Blighting modern

> life? I would agree with all of your post

> northlonder, except for the ill-informed sarcasm.

>

> KICC encourage the congregation to pray for wealth

> - people go there because they think the church

> can make them rich, or at least solve their money

> problems. Now, while I think that people can

> believe whatever they like, that doesn't mean I

> approve of quacks preying on the vulnerable or

> giving them false hope.

>

> But that's the tip of the iceberg. Look up the

> chuch's leader, Matthew Ashimolowo. He has paid

> himself hundreds of thousands of pounds out of the

> church's "charities" (in addition to the six

> figure salary he draws), as well as cyphoning

> money into his other business interests. The man

> is a crook. The church is a fraud.

Fair enough. My favourite pastor from one of these churches is called Creflo Dollar. No, really.

Amazed and delighted that people are paying so much attention to my posts.

Dear BrandNewGuy

"If malcolmchurch doesn't apologise here for spreading unfounded rumours about the Capitol, I'll find it as "insulting" as he did my suggestion that his cinema saga was all rumour and hearsay. Actually, I won't - my skin's thicker than that."

My post was not unfounded and was based on facts regarding what the Wetherspoons staff had been told by their manager and so I was insulted that you accused me of spreading false rumours. So I have nothing to apologise for.

Dear Zebedee, I so wish that I did know everything that was going on.

I am a very regular drinker in The Capitol and have got to know some of the staff very well. All of my information has come from them although they will be forced to deny it from casual enquiries.

The current story from them is that the KICC will not happen and that the Picturehouse taking over is under negotiation...

Hopefully it will not happen as I would love it to stay as a Wetherspoons.

malcolmchurch Wrote:

> Amazed and delighted that people are paying so

> much attention to my posts.

Good for you.

> Dear BrandNewGuy

>

> "If malcolmchurch doesn't apologise here for

> spreading unfounded rumours about the Capitol,

> I'll find it as "insulting" as he did my

> suggestion that his cinema saga was all rumour and

> hearsay. Actually, I won't - my skin's thicker

> than that."

>

> My post was not unfounded and was based on facts

> regarding what the Wetherspoons staff had been

> told by their manager and so I was insulted that

> you accused me of spreading false rumours. So I

> have nothing to apologise for.

I don't really want an apology, but if you'd said originally that your claim was based on what you'd heard, that would have been fine. But your original post was:

?I thought you might be interested to know that The Capitol pub (Wetherspoons) in Forest Hill will close as a pub in the next 3-6 weeks and re-open as a cinema.?

Which became:

?The staff believe that it will become a cinema but that is not so certain as there are several things to be done.?

And eventually:

?Capitol (Wetherspoons) staff 90% sure it will happen?

"... based on facts regarding what the Wetherspoons staff had been told" is hearsay and it would have been nice to say so in your original post.