New Cinema for Lordship lane?

So, this is the East Dulwich Picturehouse main page:

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/East_Dulwich_Picturehouse/

If you click on the 'Become a Founder Member' box it takes you to:

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/East_Dulwich_Picturehouse/Membership/

Although there is nothing specific about East Dulwich in the main body of text, you know that you are in the correct place because of the main heading at the top: 'East Dulwich Picturehouse and Cafe'.

You're quite right that there is nothing specific about the first 1000 and indeed when we joined yesterday, I did not receive any confirmation about whether I had made the first 1000.

I'll just have to wait and see!

Vic :)

As the original poster of THe Capitol is closing theme, I did have good sources, pub manager telling the staff it was going to close and become a cinema in 3-6 weeks, and so thought it was 99% likely happen. Especially as most of the staff were offered jobs in other pubs.

I would now estimate the likelihood at about 90% as things seemed to have slowed down at the negotiation stage.

However, here is some completely unfounded "heard it in the pub" gossip - Wetherspoons will take over the ex-Harvester Grove Tavern.

Has anybody else heard this rumour?

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whatever happened to the sushi rumour?

Tell me about it. The disappointment left me feeling really raw. I should have realised it seemed a bit fishy.

Carluccio's did look at ED way back in 2009 but nothing came of it, and the same rumours around Zizzi and a Wagamama never came to anything either. However, once the cinema opens and if M&S does manage to get the go ahead, it surely won't be long before these chain restaurants capitalise on the evening pre-cinema crowds. Anyone know what's happening to the east dilwich deli site?

Louisa.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it would seem according to reports here that the KICC have bought this site so its more than likey being planned as a Pentecostal church.

http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/topic/12460-25-church-road-former-rialto-cinema/page-13

"I also spoke to the new Labour councillor for Crystal Palace ward, Richard Williams. He is making representations to Bromley, but it didn't sound very hopeful in terms of them actually doing anything.

He did mention though that KICC had bought a venue in Forest Hill, an old Wetherspoons pub apparently. Surely they don't need 2 venues so close together, maybe they'll sell their Church Road venue?"

If it?s true and if the similar situation in Crystal Palace is anything to go by then the residents of FH are in for years of crushing disappointment and an organisation who cares little for the local community and does what is pleases whilst an impotent local authority does very little.

This is really bad news for Forest Hill. They're losing a cheap pub for a church which is very likely to cause traffic problems as is the case with the Deeper Life Bible Church when they have services on a Sunday from people who don't live in the local area.

They're also losing the well established M&Co clothes store opposite the Capitol which is set to become a Morrisons Local, another business which isn't needed considering the amount of small grocers, plus Sainsburys and Tesco nearby.

A cinema would have been the icing on the cake for FH's regeneration project (SEE3), which has seen local businesses open in empty shops on London Road and Dartmouth Road.

I am absolutely delighted that the Cinema is opening in LL - despite being a sceptic on if there is enough long term/7 day a week local demand but absolutely deligighted. But two similar cinemas effectively on the same stretch of road, although a mile and a half a part, would have spelt difficulty for both of them...understand why Forest Hillers will be disappointed though

How many people will attend the cinema at any one time vs how many people will attend the sunday morning service. Based on the sized of the building, I'd imagine an awful lot more at once with the church. However, euqally probably once a week vs most evenings. But how many people actually drive to the cinema - taking Brixton as an example - there is no car park there and on street parking is limited but it doesn't seem an issue vs the Old Kent Road (high concentration os similar type churches) at church going time where there are seemingly thousands of cars parked seemingly everywhere and up every side street for half a mile around.

I don't know the answer, merely pointing out some of the specific comparisons that could be made vs general cinema v church traffic debate...