New Cinema for Lordship lane?

• 2 weeks later...

message recently posted on se23.com. closing the pub is now a done deal. so my rumours were not completely unfounded ....

Today 04:32 PM

I emailed Wetherspoons after the initial rumour was posted and got an answer (see below) a couple of weeks ago while I was on holiday . Afraid they are closing and nothing as yet on what will replace. Maybe time to start a campaign?

George

07 July 2014

Dear Mr Crozier

Thank you for your web form dated 28th June and for contacting us regarding our pub in Forest Hill.

I can confirm a decision has been made to shut the Capitol pub in Forest Hill, I apologise for any disappointment caused.

Closing and selling a pub is a difficult decision and not one that is made without considerable thought and debate. We take into account current and potential future trading levels, facilities within the locality (other Wetherspoon pubs and others) and the ongoing rent and maintenance costs.

I am afraid I have no further information regarding who it will be sold to.

Thank you for contacting JD Wetherspoon.

Yours sincerely

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> moment >

>

> What, a nuclear power station really is being

> planned? I will certainly oppose it.

I also oppose any planned nuclear facility on the site of the Capitol pub.

Catford is a more suitable site . James Barber should be informed.

Just to back Malcolm a bit, my dad told me the other day that he's heard the cinema rumour about the Capitol too, so whilst it is just rumour, Malcolm is not alone in hearing it.

Dad also said the Grove was going to be a wetherspoons, and that there was going to be massive development on the Sainsbury's side of London Road, opposite The Capitol.

No idea if any of that is true.

Well, the proposed development is hardly massive, and it's in the conservation area so i don't think they'll be able to expand on the site.... a Morrison's 'Local' store is going in to the current M&Co clothes shop on London Rd...

Planning permission stage for ED has passed so we should be getting a 3 cinema Picture House in Lordship lane. Just think , instead of driving to Peckham or Brixton we will be able to walk to the local cinema.! I just wish and hope they'll pay all their employees a decent living wage.

This from another thread a couple of days ago:

"Re: East Dulwich Picturehouse and Caf?

Posted by Laur Yesterday, 04:36PM

Todays Ritzy news;

A long-running pay dispute is set to be resolved after a breakthrough at peace talks. Bectu has said that it will recommend acceptance of a new offer by Picturehouse.

Staff are being offered an immediate pay rise from #7.35 an hour to #8, rising in stages to the London Living Wage of #8.80 in September 2015."

And here's to everyone in East Dulwich earning a decent living wage - but it's not going to happen any time soon.

RecorderSue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Planning permission stage for ED has passed so we

> should be getting a 3 cinema Picture House in

> Lordship lane. Just think , instead of driving to

> Peckham or Brixton we will be able to walk to the

> local cinema.! I just wish and hope they'll pay

> all their employees a decent living wage.

If you really cared about what was going on you'd have known an agreement had already been reached