Peckham Rye Station

Girl82

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's still not too late to save Station Arcade:

> http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/pr

> otection/process/online-application-form/

> John K

Hi John The key doc is English Heritage assessment report on Peckham town centre: http://research.english-heritage.org.uk/report/?14789 I don?t recall anything in that which singled out the Arcade for attention. Maybe you could have a look and see if you can find the place where they cover it?

Thank you for your encouragement.

Do you have any good quality colour photographs that English Heritage require to support the application?

Is it correct that when an application is being processed it provides temporary protection from demolition?

John K

edhistory Wrote:

> Do you have any good quality colour photographs

> that English Heritage require to support the

> application?

> Is it correct that when an application is being

> processed it provides temporary protection from

> demolition?

The best thing is to ask them direct what they need (and take the photos with that in mind), and ask what protection it offers. But any demolition of this Arcade is probably months if not more than a year away. But it sounds as if you would want to object to the planning application said to be likely to be in Oct/Nov, and an application for listing might be relevant to that. As well as asking Eng Heritage you could ask the Conservation team in Southwark Council 020 7525 2289, and if they are not available on the phone ask for the Planning Duty Officer 020 7525 5438. They usually are able to answer most Qs.

Agree - I am a 'do' type person rather than a 'think' type.

But if nothing happens the chance of nothing further happens grows - the

idea of 'change happening' that is in peoples minds goes away.

spider69 Wrote:

> If one looks at the planning application shown on

> Eileens attachment. http://www.peckhamvision.org

> looking to save a bleak concrete shopping arcade

> will destroy the whole plan to open the area up.

> All the front and sides should come done to

> produce a open and airy feel.

>

> Suspect this possible plan will take far longer to

> get agreed if at all.

>

> Shame

Hi Eileen, thank you very much for the update. Fantastic news that the council and Network Rail are aiming to get a planning application submitted in October/November. It can't come quickly enough - and the sooner that ugly building in front of the station is torn down and replaced with a lovely public square, the better! Peckham deserves a better gateway than those smelly rubbish-strewn alleyways. Do keep us posted with any updates! I will certainly be adding my support to the plans when the application is submitted, as I'm sure the vast majority of those who use the station will.

I don't think so Spider - the council and Network Rail sound very keen to press ahead from what Eileen said. What do you envisage could hold it up?

spider69 Wrote:

> If one looks at the planning application shown on

> Eileens attachment. http://www.peckhamvision.org

> looking to save a bleak concrete shopping arcade

> will destroy the whole plan to open the area up.

> All the front and sides should come done to

> produce a open and airy feel.

>

> Suspect this possible plan will take far longer to

> get agreed if at all.

>

> Shame

Also, just spotted this on Eileen's link. Eileen - why are the council being so tight-lipped about sharing information on the plans and design do you think?

From www.peckhamvision.org:

Station restoration latest August 2013

The Council is developing plans for the design and development of the new front square and new commercial spaces at the back of the station. There is not yet satisfactory information about how the public can contribute to these ideas. No information is available about the conceptual discussions between the Council and Network Rail. Indications are that there will be no opportunity for public discussion before a planning application is put out for consultation in October/November 2013 with only weeks for consideration.

Objections, like we must save the concrete arcade. There will be objections about other surrounding bits that will cause certain small sections to campaign to stop the plan in its current form.

Lets apply to English Heritage to get it listed will be the cry

Unfortunately the vast majority of residents will do very little if they even know about this and the battle will be fought out between small groups pushing their own pet plan

I hope I am wrong

Girl82 Wrote:

> Also, just spotted this on Eileen's link. Eileen -

> why are the council being so tight-lipped about

> sharing information on the plans and design do you

> think?

> From www.peckhamvision.org:

> Station restoration latest August 2013

> The Council is developing plans for the design and

> development of the new front square and new

> commercial spaces at the back of the station.

> There is not yet satisfactory information about

> how the public can contribute to these ideas. No

> information is available about the conceptual

> discussions between the Council and Network Rail.

> Indications are that there will be no opportunity

> for public discussion before a planning

> application is put out for consultation in

> October/November 2013 with only weeks for

> consideration.

We can only speculate on the Council motives, which is probably not helpful. But cutting themselves off from local knowledge where people keen on the redesign have worked for years on enabling it to happen and know the site intimately has already led to one muddle which was unnecessary - see the story here http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station_Gateway about the deputation on the plan to get vacant possession of the whole site. There are a number of additional aspects to what might happen which are really worthy of public discussion before design plans get fixed.

In the absence of Council action and interest in this, we have created some ways to have some form of public conversation, including this discussion and linking it into our website and social media pages. We created a map and posted it on the website page (link above) with an explanation about the different parts of the site which have different issues and matters to be considered. So we have posed three main questions for people to consider:

Front of station: A new square is being created in front of the station. What would you like to see there..?

Back of station: The plan is to create a new area at the back, linked to the new front square. What would you like to see there..?

Blenheim Grove: What would you like to see happen in the arches with fronts on Blenheim Grove..?

There are lots of other points people can raise but they are key ones and a good starter. People can comment here and we will include them in a collection we will do later.

John - I understand now. Thanks. As a tip for the future, to help further a debate you could just actually make a proper point rather than constantly just alluding to one.

Now I see your issue. It's obviously one that would need to be addressed and the artists impression obviously wasn't very well done. I would imagine though, that any definitive plans would contain blueprints and CAD drawings that would correct this. I don't even think the picture you posted was in any way "official" - it was more of a "it could look like this" sort of thing. But then you knew that.....

Eileen, thanks for the reply. It is so great that the station is finally being addressed - it depresses me every time I walk under those arches, with all the litter everywhere and the balls of hair! Not to mention the dark and dingy environment and the smells.

I can't wait until October/November to see the plans that the council come up with. While it's a little strange that they're being so secretive, I honestly can't think that anything they propose could be worse than what we have now to be honest. I just hope they manage to successfully negotiate with all the businesses at the front of the station to get them to vacate their premises.

The problem with the architects' design(s) is that the people who have signed up to the Peckham Gateway expect to get something similar.

As far as I know this is Mr O'Looney's preferred design at August 2013.

I will only allude to the impossible c9am mid-winter shadows and the interesting scaling of the human miniatures.

I have tried to visualise how much of the station frontage would be visible from Rye Lane street level halfway between to two proposed shopping arcades.

I think I have got the proposed sight lines near enough correct.

It would be helpful if one of the architect members of EDF could do it in proper software.

John K

I look at the 1880 picture and would use the arches and

what in that pic is the walkways.

edhistory Wrote:

> The problem with the architects' design(s) is that

> the people who have signed up to the Peckham

> Gateway expect to get something similar.

>

> As far as I know this is Mr O'Looney's preferred

> design at August 2013.

>

> I will only allude to the impossible c9am

> mid-winter shadows and the interesting scaling of

> the human miniatures.

>

> I have tried to visualise how much of the station

> frontage would be visible from Rye Lane street

> level halfway between to two proposed shopping

> arcades.

>

> I think I have got the proposed sight lines near

> enough correct.

>

> It would be helpful if one of the architect

> members of EDF could do it in proper software.

>

> John K

• 3 weeks later...