Peckham Rye Station

Girl82

I think that's going to happen now.

Don't know if the windows could be removed first.

Sorry - still don't do much for me - find them depressing - could see art historians might be interested.

jimmyraj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> edhistory Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is this in one of the two Blenheim Grove art

> deco

> > blocks?

> >

> > I hope the freeholder not not revoke the

> > head-lease and have these buildings destroyed.

> >

> > John K

>

> Are you on a one man crusade to save these

> blocks?? I know it's already been said, but I

> think there's a strong argument for greater public

> good in getting rid of the shop frontage to the

> station. It might well have architectural merit

> but it's not in a good place and restricts light

> and access to a high footfall public space.

> Sorry, but it's got to go

edhistory Wrote:

> Is this in one of the two Blenheim Grove art deco

> blocks?

>

> I hope the freeholder not not revoke the

> head-lease and have these buildings destroyed.

>

> John K

It's as you come out from under the arches onto Blenheim Grove and turn right - before you get to the Peckham Refreshment Rooms.

On another note, I wish the council would hurry up and show us their plans for the station. I'm getting impatient now!

That's the excellent western Blenheim Grove art deco retail/commercial block.

Before the scaffolding went up all the original first floor Crittall windows were still there. Quite amazing for windows that are nearly 80 years old.

I hope the scaffolding is only there so the re-rendering patches, retaining the art deco mouldings, and repainting can be done.

It would be good to have the window frames cleaned and painted too.

It would only cost a few thousand pounds per unit to install 1930s art deco style shop fronts.

Then there would be a gem of a fully refurbished art deco retail/commercial parade. This would attract people to Peckham as well as preserve part of Peckham's architectural heritage.

Themed shop occupants would be a bonus:

Art deco bar

Art deco tea-room (like Lyons)

Art deco vintage clothes

Art deco art gallery/ornaments

Art deco furntiture

you get the picture....

However there are quite a few people who want to see this building destroyed.

John K

The most recently publicised design is not an "Open plaza".

It is an uncovered alleyway between two large steel and glass retail shopping opportunities.

This is in accordance with Network Rail's published intention to maximise revenue from the site.

No need to believe me. Look at the design, walk through Station Arcade, and draw your own conclusion.

The design due to be published in October might be different.

John K

Girl82 said;

> On another note, I spotted there's a shop on

> Blenheim Grove (near to the Peckham Refreshment

> Rooms) that has a sign in the window saying "under

> new management". It's still an empty unit at the

> moment. Anyone know what it's going to be?

> Something good I hope!

Maybe not. I heard it was going to be a hairdressers again. The 'new management' appears to mean that the owner of the sublease will be in direct management rather than letting it out as a hairdressers. Time will tell if that means better management of the waste in the shop so it doesn?t spill onto the pavement.

edhistory Wrote:

> The most recently publicised design is not an

> "Open plaza".

> It is an uncovered alleyway between two large

> steel and glass retail shopping opportunities.

> This is in accordance with Network Rail's

> published intention to maximise revenue from the

> site.

> No need to believe me. Look at the design, walk

> through Station Arcade, and draw your own

> conclusion.

> The design due to be published in October might be

> different.

> John K

The buildings that have been referred to under scaffolding in Blenheim Grove are not the same as those to be removed to recreate the square. Look at the map we (Peckham Vision) produced here: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station_Gateway#Revised_map_of_properties_in_the_station_plans_June_2013. The pink area is the one under scaffolding in Blenheim Grove. The dark blue area is the arcade where the buildings are due to be removed for the new square. It is not yet clear what the plans may be for the buildings in the light blue area.

The designs that John refers to of the square are Benedict O?Looney's ideas and can be seen here: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/OWR_exhibition_displays#Peckham_Rye_station:_some_ideas_for_future_work. They are not proposals from the Council, Network Rail, Peckham Vision or the Peckham Society. They are Benedict?s contributions to the discussion.

Peckham Vision strongly agrees that there needs to be public discussion about the ideas and the possibilities. However, the info from the Council was that they were aiming to put in a planning application by December 2013 with no prior discussion.

In the absence of any information from the council we started several months ago a process for gathering comments and ideas and making that available as a contribution to local discussion. See here: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station_Gateway

We have also linked this EDF discussion to the home page of http://www.peckhamvision.org If we can spot some clear comments in this EDF topic we can post them on the webpage here: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Gateway_comments. You can also send them direct to [email protected] to be posted up there.

• 4 weeks later...