Peckham Rye Station

Girl82

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can anyone explain the background to the shrinking

> Holly Grove Conservation area?

> Thanks.

> John K

The boundary was adjusted when the Rye Lane Conservation Area was designated in November 2011. The two boundaries had to be coterminus, so nothing was left out and nothing was in both of them. I am not familar with the extracts you show here, but that may be the explanation of differences. What alerted you to the change?

Eileen Wrote:

> What alerted you to the change?

I was following English Heritage guidance collating documents from the Southwark Council dossier.

The legal process to change the Holly Grove Conservation Area boundary started with the Southwark Council decision on 18 October 2011 and was completed with its publication in the London Gazette on 8 November 2011.

I would like to know the reason(s) for changing the Holly Grove Conservation Area boundary.

John K

I was at Peckham Rye station earlier and noticed what looked like some quite major building work going on. As you walk in the main door of the station it's on the right. Anyone know what it is? Hopefully a new coffee bar or cafe or something!

Girl82 Wrote:

> I was at Peckham Rye station earlier and noticed

> what looked like some quite major building work

> going on. As you walk in the main door of the

> station it's on the right. Anyone know what it is?

> Hopefully a new coffee bar or cafe or something!

This sounds like the two storey retail unit to the right of the station ticket hall as you go in. But can you post a photo to check we are talking of same thing? The photos in the other post by John K edhistory are not of the same unit - see my response to that post below. The unit to the immediate right of the ticket hall is Network Rail?s retail unit which is being restored and refurbished for Network Rail by Benedict O'Looney Architects who are also responsible for resident-led restoration work on the Old Waiting Room and the staircase in the tower to the left as you go into the ticket hall (note however the resident-led project Peckham Vision http://www.peckhamvision.org work has no involvement in or responsibility for the retail unit work). The letting of the retail unit will be made by Network Rail when the unit is ready to let. This may be early next year.

edhistory Wrote:

> Photos might be useful.

> John K

These are useful photos but not of the unit which Girl 82 seems to have been referring to (see response above). These photos from John K show:

* The unit with red shutters on Holly Grove at the back of Iceland nearly became a meat factory but was prevented by joint Peckham Vision and local Holly Grove residents? action in 2008. It has recently been given planning permission for the Hannah Barry Gallery on the ground floor and a Frank?s Caf? restaurant above.

* The second photo is of the several shop units in Blenheim Grove between the rail arches and the walkway from Blenheim Grove into the station forecourt. This is owned on a long lease by property developers who have been there for years and they said they were going to refurbish the premises for their existing tenants. I have heard nothing to indicate this is anything other than that. They have told us that they support the premises being used by leisure and cultural enterprise. Any additonal info will be welcomed.

Hi Eileen, thanks so much for your response. Yes, I think we are definitely talking about the same place - and great news that it's to be refurbished and turned into a retail unit! Here's hoping it will be let to something other than a pound shop, butcher or hairdresser.

Fantastic news about the building that almost became a meat factory too. Doesn't that building actually have a sign on it saying Halal meat? It must have come very close to being turned into a factory before you guys stepped in! The art gallery and restaurant sounds fab, can't wait!

Good news that the Blenheim Grove units are being refurbished too. It really seems like Peckham Rye station is on the up, and I'm sure that's almost all because of the amazing work that you guys at Peckham Vision are doing. As a regular user of Peckham Rye station, I am immensely grateful!

This post, and others like it, are informative but a bit ramshackle, given the format. Could someone in the know plesae summarise what is happening, what is likely to happen, what is not likely to happen, to Peckham Rye station and its environs. Thanks.

Nigello Wrote:

> This post, and others like it, are informative but

> a bit ramshackle, given the format. Could someone

> in the know plesae summarise what is happening,

> what is likely to happen, what is not likely to

> happen, to Peckham Rye station and its environs.

> Thanks.

A lot is going to happen to reconfigure some of the spaces and buildings around the station and in the station itself. This is a major project and no simple explanation or description is available as some of it is still being developed and still to be decided, and there are two separate but related parts to this. There is much left out of this, but here is a very simple summary:

1. The Gateway project: The Council and Network Rail are discussing plans for spending ?11m to re-create a square in front of the station so removing the buildings in the Arcade and possibly other buildings in the front to the sides, create a path to the back and commercial uses in the arches at the back. Lifts are also being planned to each platform. Details of the plans will become known when the planning application is made sometime in the next 6 months. Some of this will need major building works 2014/15/16. Their plan is to have it all implemented by 2016. See the site map and explanation here http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station_Gateway#Revised_map_of_properties_in_the_station_plans_June_2013 to see how the different parts of the site are involved. See here for more information: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station

2. The Old Waiting Room & Victorian Staircase project:

* Most of the planning and permission work to complete the restoration and extend the staircase (on the left of the station entrance) has now been done as a community-led project. The next stage is to raise another approx ?60,000 to pay for the restoration and extension. More information: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station/station_forecourt

* Peckham Vision is working on plans for interim uses for the Old Waiting Room as it is, once the staircase is extended to give access from the forecourt. With the cash raised and the work done, the room may be ready for hire for experimental period for a variety of uses during 2014. More information: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Old_Waiting_Room

Eileen Wrote:

>

> * The unit with red shutters on Holly Grove at the

> back of Iceland nearly became a meat factory but

> was prevented by joint Peckham Vision and local

> Holly Grove residents? action in 2008. It has

> recently been given planning permission for the

> Hannah Barry Gallery on the ground floor and a

> Frank?s Caf? restaurant above.

I can't find the planning application for this.

Does this mean that a developer has taken up Southwark Council's offer to re-develop the Moncrieff Street and Cerise Road site and will build a "tall building"? [southwark, Issue 10, Summer 2013, page 59]

John K

[Edited to remove references to street numbers]

If you want to see more details about the station developments, and discuss them with Peckham Vision people, try to come along to our stall at the Peckham Rye Fete this coming Saturday 7th Sep noon to 5pm. http://www.foprp.org.uk/ We will have our mobile exhibition there and keen to help locals get the info and discuss the station developments, add their ideas to the discussions about them ?http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station - and about other town centre matters. It is also one of the best community fairs in the neighbourhood. Not to be missed! Enjoy the day out with the children, the dogs, the fun and games, the great food and everything, and even becoming informed in an enjoyable way! So much to enjoy in a great community atmosphere. Look forward to seeing some EDF people there?

edhistory Wrote:

> Eileen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > * The unit with red shutters on Holly Grove at

> the

> > back of Iceland nearly became a meat factory

> but

> > was prevented by joint Peckham Vision and local

> > Holly Grove residents? action in 2008. It has

> > recently been given planning permission for the

> > Hannah Barry Gallery on the ground floor and a

> > Frank?s Caf? restaurant above.

>

> I can't find the planning application for this.

>

> Does this mean that a developer has taken up

> Southwark Council's offer to re-develop the

> Moncrieff Street and Cerise Road site and will

> build a "tall building"?

>

> John K

>

>

I've still not found the planning application.

Can you help?

Thanks

John K

> > Eileen Wrote:

> > > * The unit with red shutters on Holly Grove at the

> > > back of Iceland nearly became a meat factory but

> > > was prevented by joint Peckham Vision and local

> > > Holly Grove residents? action in 2008. It has

> > > recently been given planning permission for the

> > > Hannah Barry Gallery on the ground floor and a

> > > Frank?s Caf? restaurant above.

> I've still not found the planning application.

> Can you help?

> Thanks

> John K

case number 13/AP/0554 search on http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/

Eileen wrote:

> * The unit with red shutters on Holly Grove at the

> back of has

> recently been given planning permission for the

> Hannah Barry Gallery on the ground floor and a

> Frank?s Caf? restaurant above.

edhistory John K wrote:

>> Does this mean that a developer has taken up Southwark Council's offer to re-develop the Moncrieff Street and Cerise Road site >>and will build a "tall building"? [southwark, Issue 10, Summer 2013, page 59]

Eileen reply: No. In fact the Inspector, who held the recent Public Hearings into the Peckham Area Action (PNAAP), has just said that he thinks the building and site should be removed from the PNAAP for further work into its potential for conversion into a cultural centre. This is what several of us, including the Hannah Barry Gallery, argued at the Public Hearings.

There now has to be further public consultation on a number of aspects of the PNAAP, as the Inspector listened and responded to several other points that were made by the objectors.

See here http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Town_Centre_Forum/meetings#23rd_July_to_1st_August_2013_PNAAP_Public_Hearings_.2B_Sep_2013_News for our report on this and the links to the Inspector?s comments.

If you want to know more about all these ramifications and other info about town centre planning and current happenings, come and visit our Peckham Vision stall at the Peckham Rye Fete on Saturday 7th Sep noon - 5pm.

It?s Peckham Rye Fete TODAY noon?5pm. http://www.foprp.org.uk/. Do come and visit us on the Peckham Vision stall to see our exhibition displays about Peckham Rye station developments and the town centre, and discuss the opportunities and the issues. It?s always a great day out at this community fair, even if the weather isn?t as good as it was earlier this week. Sunny periods forecast but bring yr umbrella!

Hi all - did anyone get down to Peckham Rye to Peckham Vision stall yesterday? We had lots of visitors and busy all day. We had several helpers but none said anyone had identified themselves as EDForum watchers of this thread. But we might have not asked so would be good to know if you came, if it clarified the things discussed in this thread.

Eileen Wrote:

> case number 13/AP/0554 search on

> http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/

Many thanks, Eileen.

The group of documents provided useful information about the adjacent group of art deco buildings.

I didn't go to FOPRP on Saturday - I was working. I've not been to any event or meeting since our chat in May.

Regards,

John K

I would appreciate some help with this aspect of Station Arcade.

I have a query out with the curator of the Crittall Windows Archive at Braintree Museum.

This combination of window modules is unusual but the museum should be able to identify them.

They are non-standard relatively "high status" and surprising for this type of building.

I have made a search through Crittall literature, published works on art deco architecture, and internet images. I cannot find any other examples of these type of windows. They could be unique sole-survivors in the UK.

Can anyone locate any other examples?

Thank you.

John K

Eileen Wrote:

> Hi all - did anyone get down to Peckham Rye to

> Peckham Vision stall yesterday? We had lots of

> visitors and busy all day. We had several helpers

> but none said anyone had identified themselves as

> EDForum watchers of this thread. But we might have

> not asked so would be good to know if you came, if

> it clarified the things discussed in this thread.

Didn't make it sadly.

On another note, I spotted there's a shop on Blenheim Grove (near to the Peckham Refreshment Rooms) that has a sign in the window saying "under new management". It's still an empty unit at the moment. Anyone know what it's going to be? Something good I hope!

edhistory Wrote:

> Is this in one of the two Blenheim Grove art deco

> blocks?

>

> I hope the freeholder not not revoke the

> head-lease and have these buildings destroyed.

>

> John K

Are you on a one man crusade to save these blocks?? I know it's already been said, but I think there's a strong argument for greater public good in getting rid of the shop frontage to the station. It might well have architectural merit but it's not in a good place and restricts light and access to a high footfall public space. Sorry, but it's got to go