Peckham Rye Station

Girl82

The c1949 building at 117-125 Rye Lane is not a shopping arcade.

I am aware that a number of people would like to see Station Arcade destroyed.

I also understand why someone's personal taste should prefer an imitation continental style to Englishe vernacular.

John K

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The c1949 building at 117-125 Rye Lane is not a

> shopping arcade.

>

> I am aware that a number of people would like to

> see Station Arcade destroyed.

>

> I also understand why someone's personal taste

> should prefer an imitation continental style to

> Englishe vernacular.

>

> John K

I'm not disputing the fact that the arcade (shopping, station, or otherwise) has merit and appeal, but its effect in being placed in front of another station and thus meaning only access is through dark, dank and unpleasant alleyways, is a negative one. If it was a building on its own I would argue it should be protected. But it's not. Opening up the front of the station would surely be in the public good. In my opinion anyway...

What jimmy said

I don't think the current facade is especially good, but it could be worth saving in another context

Given the potential choices I'm all for opening up that part of rye lane, permitting a pleasing and different aspect. It would (IMO) give rye lane new lungs and a focal point

The current facade, however worthy, isn't even noticed by... At a guess, at least 95% of people. It fails in its job to please the eye if the eye isn't even aware of it

The whole lot needs to come down the or area will always wallow in the mess and filth that is now there.

Lets hope they dont find a rare newt or nesting bats.

Open it all up from Rye Lane to Bellenden Road. This will go on forever

As a local resident of 68 years i am fed up with living in a sh..t hole.

That whole area is a dump. How many residents can remember dunns the outfitters on that entrance. When rye lane was something to be proud of.

Walk down rye lane and station entrance early morning before it all gets busy and see how rank the pavements are and the fifth that is engrained everywhere.

There is nothing to save. Start from new

As someone who has been using Peckham Rye station for the last four years or so, I completely agree with Spider. Whilst I wasn't fortunate enough to live in the area when Rye Lane was in its heyday, I have read up on what it was like, and find it so sad that it has become the litter-strewn road that it is today.

Fortunately from what I've heard it sounds like the wheels are in motion to restore the station to at least a glimmer of its former glory, and about time too.

spider69 Wrote:

> As a local resident of 68 years i am fed up with

> living in a sh..t hole.

>

> That whole area is a dump. How many residents can

> remember dunns the outfitters on that entrance.

> When rye lane was something to be proud of.

>

> Walk down rye lane and station entrance earlier

> morning before it all gets busy and see how rank

> the pavements are and the fifth that is engrained

> everywhere.

>

> There is nothing to save. Start from new

Well then, the sooner it is razed to the ground and rebuilt, the better!!

woodrot Wrote:

> the hipster vermin wouldnt stand for a revamp -

> they are poverty tourists and love the seedy run

> down neglected shittyness of the place.

And by the way, does anybody actually *like* the balls of tumbleweave that are basically now a permanent fixture of the roads around the station? I'm becoming a bit fed-up of getting bits of fake hair caught in my sandals to be honest.

Why don't these businesses give a damn about their environment or the effect it has on anyone else? It's really horrible :(

Well it seems that is what Peckham Vision are aiming to do - and it can't come soon enough in my opinion. It's sad how horribly neglected it has all become.

spider69 Wrote:

> How much imagination does it take to picture the

> whole area completely redeveloped with the station

> as the centre

You do get the feeling - 10 years and nothing will change the way things are moving.

More young professionals with no links to the area moving in and they really won't care

about razing the whole place - so if PV want to do it properly - I'd advice now.

JohnL Wrote:

> You do get the feeling - 10 years and nothing will

> change the way things are moving.

>

> More young professionals with no links to the area

> moving in and they really won't care

> about razing the whole place - so if PV want to do

> it properly - I'd advice now.

I don't think you should be so hasty to tar all newcomers with the same brush JohnL. So far as your loose definition goes, I might class as a 'newcomer' - I moved to the area four years ago, and am probably a young (ish) professional. I've made it my home and want to stay here for quite a few years to come. I don't have links to the area, no, but does that make a huge difference? I care about what it is like now; and what it is like in the future - as do most of my neighbours from what I can tell. I don't want to make Peckham something it isn't but I welcome the efforts that are going into making it a more welcoming central hub for all of the community

"I note the "bigger is better" suggested criterion for why the Brixton arcades have been listed and why Station Arcade has not been lisited.

Unless there is a simliar building elsewhere then Station Arcade is the sole survivor of its type.

The railway station received its listing on 31 January 2008.

"Squat" is an interesting verb to use.

I know that there is an argument for the destruction of our architectural heritage when it is inconvenient and in the way, even if it is a unique building."

Peckham's Station Arcade may be the sole survivor of its type, and therefore unique, but that in itself does not make it worthy of being preserved, imo. The Brixton Arcades are bigger but that's not the only thing they had going for them. My previous post was written in haste. When I came to live in Brixton in 92, the Arcades were already pretty run down and spent several more years getting progressively more so. However, even at their most unloved, they had a presence, a sense of potential, that Station Arcade lacks.

Squat was used with reference to something sitting on its knees. But perhaps I'm being unfair and it isn't really a toad of a building. Perhaps if the plans for the Station don't go ahead, the Arcade will live up to your estimation and transform itself into a worthy alternative centre of focus for Rye Lane. Perhaps not. Therein squats the toad.

I've been here 7 years and like some things - others (the hair for

instance) I hate.

My shared ownership flat stayed in negative equity for 6 years odd

just out now - and that's including payments.

Just feel a lot of people in London won't be that patient.

jimmyraj Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > You do get the feeling - 10 years and nothing

> will

> > change the way things are moving.

> >

> > More young professionals with no links to the

> area

> > moving in and they really won't care

> > about razing the whole place - so if PV want to

> do

> > it properly - I'd advice now.

>

> I don't think you should be so hasty to tar all

> newcomers with the same brush JohnL. So far as

> your loose definition goes, I might class as a

> 'newcomer' - I moved to the area four years ago,

> and am probably a young (ish) professional. I've

> made it my home and want to stay here for quite a

> few years to come. I don't have links to the

> area, no, but does that make a huge difference? I

> care about what it is like now; and what it is

> like in the future - as do most of my neighbours

> from what I can tell. I don't want to make

> Peckham something it isn't but I welcome the

> efforts that are going into making it a more

> welcoming central hub for all of the community

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think they key thing is with the Peckham Vision

> lot is that they love where they live, and want to

> bring out the best in it. Not transform it into

> something it isn't.

thanks - not always easy to convey on websites and in these cyber forums, but yes definitely. Hope anyone who shares that vision will join us through the following links:

http://www.peckhamvision.org

http://www.facebook.com/PeckhamVision

email list: [email protected]

Hi Eileen, do you know when the proposed works to Peckham Rye Station - creating the public square etc - are due to begin? I can't seem to find any information on it and am dying to know!

Many thanks.

Eileen Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I think they key thing is with the Peckham

> Vision

> > lot is that they love where they live, and want

> to

> > bring out the best in it. Not transform it into

> > something it isn't.

>

> thanks - not always easy to convey on websites and

> in these cyber forums, but yes definitely. Hope

> anyone who shares that vision will join us through

> the following links:

> http://www.peckhamvision.org

>

> http://www.facebook.com/PeckhamVision

> email list: [email protected]

edhistory Wrote:

> I may have missed it, but I can't see anything

> about the station garden in the Peckham Vision

> documentation.

> John K

We have the photo of the front garden and it is up on our Peckham Rye Station facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=402539499816950&set=a.394475537290013.91389.319532484784319&type=1&theater

I like the map you have linked to showing that and a back garden - can you get me a digital version I can use? Any more info about the whole garden set up then?

Girl82 Wrote:

> Hi Eileen, do you know when the proposed works to

> Peckham Rye Station - creating the public square

> etc - are due to begin? I can't seem to find any

> information on it and am dying to know!

Possibly 2015. There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to plan and design it, as a number of buildings and businesses are affected. We had hoped that there would all this year be a public conversation about the design but we heard recently that the Council and Network Rail are aiming to go straight to planning application by October / November before the end of the year. So we are aiming to stimulate a public conversation about the design in these cyber forums before then. Please see here for the latest on that:

Station development plans - http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station_Gateway#Public_conversation_about_the_design_of_the_station_developments_August_2013

Peckham Rye Station background - http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station

The Council's plan has always been to get the works completed by 2016, so maybe there will be some signs of it before the end of 2014, but maybe 2015. In the meantime, do please read the info on the above weblinks and see if you can contribute to the public conversation about the design and plans.

The Peckham Vision led work to restore the original staircase is proceeding and should be completed by Spring 2014 if we successfully raise another ?50k. see here for info on that: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station/station_forecourt