The worst thing I ever forgot (on a train or not)

snoozequeen1

Just wanted to offer solidarity with the very important person who left the nation's key pieces of top top secret information on the train.

Top forgettings in my household:

leaving ?300,000 of employer's assets in Benjy's, on the shelf above the banana custards, after putting envelope down to pick up vital tub of banana custard

my brother (left in Boots)

purchase of work syndicate lottery ticket that came up for ?700

Is this more than average forgetful?

Banana custard - yum yum.

Envelope was still on shelf, all unnoticed by hungry workers in jam packed snack bar, 1 hr later. Strange to say, also forgot to mention incident in office.

One of those situations where one learns the meaning of a phrase one has heard all one's life, as in, "she was possessed of an icy calmness as she retraced her steps".

(Just as well didn't mention the other things then, HB. Definitely better not mention the other things.)

God, my worst thing was leaving an Eat lp on a train from manchester to bolton when i was about 16. I was gutted as i'd been looking forward to it for ages and couldn't afford a replacement, but it kind of feels insignificant now.

?300,000 - christ! That's some going

Snoozequeen, you are so not alone. I have lost more things than I think I own now. The only one I really wish I could find again is my granny's ring - still regretted more than 10 years later, and probably somewhere in the floorboards at 98 Netherwood Road.

My latest forgetting things disaster was quite recent. I decided to work from home on my son's birthday, as had work to deliver in short order and crucial tea party to attend. But forgot to take my laptop home. So raced into work very early, snatching up essentials from my handbag rather than the whole thing. Got to work (an hour of work missed with travel) and realised that one of the essential things still in the handbag was my desk key. Sat around for another hour or so waiting for secretary with blank key to turn up. Secretary arrives at 9.30 and has lost blank key. Begged and pleaded and finally persuaded IT guy to break into desk drawer with a screwdriver...

I also frequently forget my manners, people's birthdays... to close the curtains while dressing (not really the last)

Solidarity, Moos. Can we demand the reinstatement of the poor "senior intelligence officer" they have now sacked? It's all very well them saying the person shouldn't have taken the info out of the office at all except in a locked box, but as we know, he/she probably had no intention to take it anywhere, and walked out of office without realising they were carrying it.

We, the chronically absent-minded, deserve to be represented at all levels and branches of government, and I say, this is my kind of person.

Makes you wonder how James Bond would go in reality though.

CamberwellOz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I forgot my husband's (was boyfriend at the time)

> name in bed and called him my ex.

>

It was the other way round for me, forgot my ex's name and called him by the name of my new boyfriend.

I was in one of those transition periods and sort of forgot my dignity.

CamberwellOz Wrote:

> I forgot my husband's (was boyfriend at the time)

> name in bed and called him my ex.

>

> I don't know... I think I felt worse than leaving

> ?300,000 on the bench.

That is truly shocking. Mr CO must be a lovely fellow with a very developed sense of humour, to get hitched to a hussy who could not summon up his name.

You could at least have got one of those temporary transfer tatoos for your arm, with his name on, which would have looked like devotion while sparing embarrassment.

I find that I often get people's names confused, but can always remember the names of their dogs.

I was very hungover one morning a few years ago (okay, maybe still pretty drunk)and managed a 45 minute commute without realising, until I was walking up the steps to my office, that I had somehow managed to forget to put a bra on.

It was a very uncomfortable morning before I could go to the shops at lunchtime. Not helped by my mate blabbing to the boys who then all strangely were following me every time I had to go up or down a staircase...

Showing that it takes a strangely long time before my brain functions in the morning...a number of times I have managed to be half way to work before realising the world was far more sharp-edged the day before and I'd forgotten my glasses. I'm a long way from blind but I do definitely need to wear them all the time!

Glasses: pair in car, pair in desk at work, pair in locker at work! Foolproof, except have forgotten which is my locker.

What we need is some sort of emergency service for the absent minded.

Someone who can race into action and offer memory breakdown cover to help cover our tracks, a bit like bicycle repair man.

Ok, nothing to do with trains. A few years back I had a bad bug all weekend and, like the good employee I was, by Sunday night, as I was able to stand up again, thought that I should go to work as normal. I was living and working in Amsterdam at the time, so got up at 4.30am on Monday, first flight to Paris for intense Monday morning meeting with PR agency; after lunch, at which I was unable to eat anything, held together entirely by caffeine and neurofen I crossed Paris, got the TGV to Le Mans, then 45-minute taxi to the company's R&D centre, checked in to hotel and, by now in a total haze and rather late, ran for dinner meeting. Luckily, as I walked in to the restaurant the guy I was meeting stood up and said hi, asked me how things were going and we got chatting.

It was only half way through the main course I realised I was having dinner with the wrong person. And I didn't even know who he was. I still don't.

Ms B Wrote:

> Ok, nothing to do with trains. A few years back I

> had a bad bug all weekend and, like the good

> employee I was, by Sunday night, as I was able to

> stand up again, thought that I should go to work

> as normal. I was living and working in Amsterdam

> at the time, so got up at 4.30am on Monday, first

> flight to Paris for intense Monday morning meeting

> with PR agency; after lunch, at which I was unable

> to eat anything, held together entirely by

> caffeine and neurofen I crossed Paris, got the TGV

> to Le Mans, then 45-minute taxi to the company's

> R&D centre, checked in to hotel and, by now in a

> total haze and rather late, ran for dinner

> meeting. Luckily, as I walked in to the restaurant

> the guy I was meeting stood up and said hi, asked

> me how things were going and we got chatting.

>

> It was only half way through the main course I

> realised I was having dinner with the wrong

> person. And I didn't even know who he was. I still

> don't.

OK LETS ALL AGREE NOT TO PUT LESS THAN DELICATE QUESTIONS TO MS B AS TO WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE TRANSPIRED BETWEEN HERSELF AND SAID GENTLEMAN.

PLEASE MOVE ALONG NOW.

Although if you have a look of Audrey Hepburn about you, and he had a Cary Grantishness to his jib, it might make for an enthralling anecdote.

Close, except I was a clammy and fetching shade of green, though after the weekend I'd been through it's possible I may briefly have had cheekbones.

Ms B Wrote:

> Close, except I was a clammy and fetching shade of

> green, though after the weekend I'd been through

> it's possible I may briefly have had cheekbones.

So, not Audrey Hepburn then, more Marina from Stingray.

Still works.